Input wanted on Speedster project exhaust system.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Input wanted on Speedster project exhaust system.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I am at the stage of starting to think about my exhaust system for the speedster project. I have a photo of a period speedster like mine, that I have been using as my inspiration photo. Ill post a copy of it. I am not trying to make a "clone" of the photo car, but something really similar. Since it uses a stock hood, It rules out any kind of side pipes. I have been thinking of using the cast iron dual exhaust manifold Lang's sells. Its not really that high on price (if you say it fast enough) and I have read it helps on the performance. I am trying to stay period correct and use original parts as much as possible and repro parts that are correct to the era. So no modern upgrades. Is the dual cast iron manifold a copy of a real era correct part (the ad says it is).?? I have not been able to find any ads or photos of anything like it. I am also trying to keep the old patina look to all my parts. Does anyone have any period correct techniques or exhaust tricks. ?? I am considering making exhaust pipes/mufflers from Model TT torque tubes. I believe that was a technique used during the era. Any input will be appreciated. Seth, If you see this, chime in with you mufflers you built. I can not seem to find the thread you mentioned them in. as always have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

This is the inspiration photo

This is the aprox. stage of my project. I have the lower deck wood sheet metal cover finished and the trunk lid and latches are also done. Ill be posting some more photos of the project later, after the last piece of wood is finished and installed. For all who are not sick of it by now .. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Donnie, Unless I am mistaken, Chaffin's is the original supplier of the 'Smittybuilt' dual outlet manifold that most of the vendors sell. I think they could answer any question that you may have as well as offering them at the lowest price. I had one but sold it to Tim Morsher at a loss to me when I decided to go with a Model B exhaust manifold. Unless running dual exhaust, mufflers, and tail pipes are absolute "musts" for you, I think model A or B exhaust manifolds flow as well, or better; are cheaper and eliminate the need for dual exhaust, mufflers, and tail pipes. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Thanks Terry, I may try to contact them tomorrow ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Donnie, I have the dual exhaust manifold on my speedster, I like it. It has a great sound with straight pipes and the exhaust system is out of the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Mike Vaughn, I'm very interested in your exhaust setup. It's something I'm interested in doing with my speedster. What was the source for your exhaust pipes. Is it something you were able to bend for yourself, or did you go to a custom muffler shop, or is it something the vendors sell. Thank you for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

Michael, I took the car to a custom muffler shop in Lincoln and worked with them on making the pipes. They did a nice job and the price was very reasonable. About $120 for the pipes installed exactly as I wanted them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Thanks Mike. We had an excellent custom exhaust shop just a couple towns over from here but the highway dept shut them down to tear down their shop and widen the highway out to four lanes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:40 am:

Mike V. Your exhaust is very similar to what Im thinking of. I will probably make my own out of the TT torque tubes so it looks more period correct. Glad to hear you think the sound is good. I just thought there may be some cool ideas out there I have not heard of. Thanks for the input ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Hi Donnie,

TT torque tubes? My goodness, that is a lot of weight!
I thought the guiding principle with speedsters is to lose the extra weight to make the car zippy. Just sayin'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:36 am:

here is a link to the 2015 forum posting. I thought I lost the first posting but I guess I double posted it. :-( (old timers sucks ... ) Bill, you may have a point. Ill have to see how heavy the two sections of torque tube are. I was thinking the tubes are fairly thin and you only use part of them ..

link to other posting
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/601198.html?1452004178

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Donnie - that body you built is beautiful. Haven't seen pictures of it in awhile. Do you have any more you can post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Ron, here are a couple more pics. Ill be starting a thread on project update soon. I was waiting till I had all the sheet metal and wood finished. Im real close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:32 am:

I believe you will find TT torque tube material much too heavy - I used 4" exhaust pipe down the side using 1 & 3/4" pipe off the BB RAJO into a special made by Megs megaphone all tig welded together. The side pipe just sits in the body saddle towards the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Donnie,

I don't know how you've got your engine set up, (i.e. Fronty, Rajo, flathead, etc.), but I've always liked the idea of a vaporizer style manifold with the traditional exhaust pipe out the back end and another exhaust pipe coming out of a plate covering what used to be the vaporizer chamber. It keeps things totally T and era correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:04 am:

For mine, I plan on using a '26-27 stepped torque-tube with each pipe going into a bigger step. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Things I plan on using for the engine are, basically stock internals, Finned Iandola flat head, DU-4 magneto with mag on left side of engine, (so I can still have a generator). U&J carb (built by Stan) and a Chicago transmission. I also have a set of AC small drum brakes. Im not going all for speed, although I think it will go as fast as I will ever want to drive it. Im more for the "look" and what would a average person in the late 20s early 30s been able to build ... If I was using a overhead, I would probably mount a side pipe on the left side like Jerrys. But I will have to do some thinking about the vaporizer thing ... sounds like a neat idea. Thanks for the idea Jerry ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Hey Donnie, I can't speak to the authenticity of the dual exhaust manifold, as far as the availability of it back during the T era. However, I REALLY like mine from Chaffins. I can say that it makes a noticeable difference in the car both in the way it sounds and the way it runs (a little more power) and both of these are very good things. I would definitely vote yes to you getting dual exhaust.

My grandfather had put a Taylor By-pass muffler on the car. It's a really neat exhaust pipe. There's a big flap at the end of the larger tube that is held closed with springs. This forces the exhaust through the smaller tube on the bottom and it has some baffles. It sounds very similar to a stock T muffler. But pull on a cable through the floor panel and presto, the big pipe with no baffles is open and she gets WAY louder as well as picking up another MPH or two without touching the throttle. The one originally on my speedster was really rusted out and had a ton of holes and just wasn't fixable. So I made a whole new one identical to the original. When I swapped to dual exhaust I just modified the front end to take in two pipes. The one in the picture above I actually made for Tom Lovejoy in SoCal for his TT. Here's a period ad for the muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 02:05 am:

Oh, also meant to say: for the exhaust pipes I just bought two of the stainless ones that Langs sells and welded them up to the plate that comes with the manifold, it was super easy and worked really well.

My floor boards are REALLY close to both the transmission cover and the exhaust and wrapping the exhaust pipes with header wrap made a huge difference. Ha! The floorboards quit smoking (no joke they were gonna catch on fire) and my wife has quit complaining about her feet getting hot when we ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Love those Turtle De3ck latches Donnie,they look great. Your attention to detail will make one might fine period looking speedster. Love your work. looking forward to the mechanical updates!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Warwick, I like the latchs too. I was trying to find an original Ford latch like one that I already had. They seem to be impossible to find. Another forum member saw my ads and had this pair that he had made. They are very similar to original Ford latches, but enough different to work perfect for a speedster. His work is excellent and I am proud to have the latches. Seth, That is the muffler I want :-) Thanks for the pics. I like it ... Ill send you a PM message if I can not find your e-mail address Thanks again for all the input from everyone ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Tyrone, I like it..... That is a very period correct looking racer... how do you stay in those little seats.?? :-) ... I thought I did not have much of a body to keep my butt in the car. Very nice ... have fun and be safe (as safe as you can :-)) Donnie Brown

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration