Help Needed with patch panels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help Needed with patch panels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Hi guys,
I'm having huge troubles getting patch panels shipped to Australia. I have tried Mac's Autos but they "say" they don't have the parts, I have tried Howell's sheetmetal but they won't reply to any email about postage and I have tried Henrys Spares in Melbourne Australia but HE Never gets back to you (tried at least 10 times. Email, Phone calls. Nothing) Does anyone know of someone who is willing to help?

These are the parts I need (codes from Howells):

Rear Corner Panels Pair S-309D
Rear Centre Panel below lid deck S-110 (NOT SURE IF CORRECT)
Inner Fender Pair S-158
Rear Quarter Panel Patch Pair S-154C
Trunk Floor with hump S-144WH (NOT SURE IF CORRECT)
Pan under front seat S-143

Below are pic's of the car. Can someone let me know if the parts I have listed are correct for my car. I was a little unsure about the rear center panel below deck lid and also the trunk floor.

As the lower trunk panel was missing when I purchased it I'm really not sure what it should look like, how it fits, what brackets I need and where the brackets go. If someone has a pic that would be great.

A big thanks in advance guys. It's starting to put a downer on the car as I have been trying for 8 months now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Bottom of the trunk lid to the trunk floor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:44 am:

You might check to see if Clive Ross is still metal shaping. He may be able to make the panels for you.

This is old info but it's all I have.

Clive Ross

The Hammer Works

Unit B, 24 Crompton Road
Rockingham 6168
Western Australia
Phone: +61 9591 1694
Fax: +61 95913039
thehammerworks@yahoo.com.au

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Shawn, I looked up all the numbers you listed and they appear to be what you are needing. Lang's has all the parts listed in their catalog. They are very helpful and will be your best bet for good service. Their web address is www.modeltford.com Here is a link to one of the parts on their web site catalog, just change the part number in the search box for your other parts ... Good luck ...

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=s110&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:01 am:

If you search you'll find other threads on the erratic service from both Howell's and Mac's. And it's not only foreign customers that have problems..
When you need parts from Howell's, your best bet besides Lang's is to buy through ebay - Howell's will only list parts they actually have in stock and can ship directly in their ebay auctions - and the shipping cost is also listed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 03:22 am:

Shawn, Don't despair. Your profile says you are Melbourne. There are a number of Victorian Model T Ford club members with fully restored cars or projects less than an hours drive from you to look at for reference. Send me an email and I can give you contact details. Am not sure why Henrys T & A parts has not has not contacted you back but they are generally very helpful. Perhaps they are on a Summer holiday??? Your car looks like a great project. Is it an Aussie RHD one or a USA import? You should consider joining the MTFCV and meting other like minded T guys who are close to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Shawn, just so you don't have a heart attack, the shipping here in the states is about the cost of the floor panel. Be prepared! I drove the 250 miles to pick mine up from Howell's and had money to buy lunch! MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Shawn,

Try going through Smith and Jones (snjparts.com). I recently ordered the rear center panel for my '26 touring and they hounded Howell's until they confirmed shipment. I got it in record time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

I PM'd Shawn and told him to check with Chaffin's in CA. to see if they could help because they would be closer to a freight forwarder. This last year, I sold two 26-27 coupe rear fenders and a coupe decklid to a NZ restorer. I had to ship the parts by FedEx to his freight forwarder in Compton, CA and that freight amounted to hundreds of dollars; almost as much as I got for the parts. Then he paid the freight to New Zealand. I have no idea how much that was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

From what I have learned over time Howell's is the only sheetmetal maker that makes T body panels and parts associated with them.

The other T sheet metal maker makes mostly fenders and running boards.

Howell's is the vendor that the suppliers use for body panel parts so it seems that they have no competition. I got the panels for my T in about 2 months. It just seems that they could work a 'little faster' but when your the only guy in town you can set your own pace. Maybe that's there way of thinking.
After a while though?--------------------

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

John, the other things involved are that Howell's schedules to make a specific part in "runs", in other words, "batches". He doesn't stop in the middle of production to custom make and fill a specific order, even if it is an order from a vendor (as far as I know), and I have talked to him personally at Chickasha as well as his shop. He is a small employee shop and because he hand makes things and doesn't have the large dies and presses that Ford had, his production capacity is limited. If this sounds like I am taking up for him, that is not my point, but I will say that the Model T hobby is lucky to have any source at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Shawn, You really should contact Warwick Landy and the Model T Club in Victoria. Several of there members have had to do work like this on their Model T's or know who can do it for you.

Your problem is a minor one for those who restore cars. If you were in NSW in Sydney you could do a Panel Beating (body work) part time course and make the parts and weld them yourself to your standard for a fraction of the cost that any panel sourced from the USA would be.

I don't know if the Victorian TAFE colleges still offer such a course but it would be easy to check.

Check also with Hot rod owners as they also have this type of work done all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Buy a bead roller and make your own floor. The beads are not correct because in my coupe the back section by the frame hump was an X pattern but I have a new floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Wow thanks everyone for all the replies. I imported mine from the US over 6 years ago but only just started restoring it.

Dennis, what a great job on the floor :-)

Donnie, I will give them a shot.

Warwick, I'll send you an email soon. I'll defiantly look into becoming a member.

Tom, I will check out snjparts.com and see what they can do.

Terry, I'll reply back soon :-)

Peter, I have been looking around for a course that I can do after hours but there isn't much around. It would defiantly make thing a lot easier.

Ohh, has anyone for a picture of the lower trunk with the hinges?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 01:05 am:

Hi Shawn,

You could try calling Peter Tommasini. He would probably know of any panel beating classes in Melbourne.

http://www.handbuilt.net.au/

There are a few guys from Melbourne on AllMetalshaping. They had a Metal Meet last month. You could try posting there:

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=14041&page=9

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Here is what the floor panel looks like from the street. That's why I didn't worry about if the beads were exact duplicates of the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:56 am:

That's funny Dennis, I like it! :-)

You know, that's exactly what a 12v electrical system looks like too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration