Radiator covers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator covers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

O.k., this may seem like a really dumb question, but do I have to use some kind of radiator cover if I plan on driving my T throughout the winter? I've had my '14 on the road for short trips to the gas station and township hall and plan on using it as much as I can (weather permitting). Do I need to partially cover the radiator, or can I just continue as is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

A piece of cardboard over the lower half of the radiator is the easy fix. Bungee cord between the headlamp forks to hold in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Here's a picture of my cardboard winter front. I sprayed it black to match the rest of the car better. Since this picture was taken, I have sliced another inch off of the top of it for a little more cooling. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

But do I need one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

It's a personal choice, I suppose. I seem to recall a plot showing engine wear versus temperature that showed the damage that can be caused by running too cold. Oh, here it is! :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Bill, just keep an eye on the moto-meter if you have one. I would suspect if the red stuff never pokes its head out from the bottom, a cover might be a good idea. Ironically, when I bought my first vintage car, the model A, I couldn't drive the car 8 miles before the red went straight to the top,put in a new radiator, and now even on an 80 degree day the red stuff barely pops up a quarter of an inch. That car would definitely need a partial cover in real cold weather, haven't tried it as yet. Probably never will!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Partially covering a radiator would cause a loading and unloading of each fan blade every revolution. This could have a negative on the fatigue life of the blades. Model T fan blades do break off on occasion.

t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Hmmm. Donald, thats a very good thought. That said, wonder if just using a full cover with small holes throughout would work. I bet it just might. Thanks for that post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I doubt very much that the non-uniform aerodynamic load on the blades is significant, the fan operates in free airspace behind the radiator. Vibration, unbalance and centrifugal accelerations are greater factors in my view. Regardless of cause, fan blades do fail and should be checked for cracks regularly. my 0.02, jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration