Front axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Lautenschlager on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

what tolerance is acceptable on the upper yoke holes (front axle)? mine are egg shaped by 7-10 thousands on both sides! new upper and lower bushings (Langs part #2691RB) have been ordered and will be reworked if necessary. the spindle king pin bushings will also be changed and reamed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

I'm curious about that also. "Tinkerin'Tips" suggests up to .004" play is acceptable on the king pins, but I assume that relates to the bushings.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

The wear you have is too much. I would use the kit, 2691RB. Curious as to how you are going to cut the tapered hole. Does Lang's sell a tapered reamer? Do you need a Stevens reaming fixture?

Personally, I would cut through one side of each tapered sleeve and ream the tapered hole such that the top of the sleeve sticks out about maybe .030. That way, when the king pin draws down on the sleeve, pulling it deeper into the taper, it will cause the sleeve to clamp tight on the kingpin for a "no slop" fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Lautenschlager on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Jerry, yes, just waitng for Langs kit to arrive! and yes i'll use a stevens fixture which was located yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

What size tapered reamer do you need
http://tool.wttool.com/search?w=tapered+reamer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Lautenschlager on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

from what I understand, the upper tapered reamer and lower reamer/tap are job specific and are being remanufactured by Dan Hatch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Yes, Dan Hatch is reproducing the cutters, and they work great. Up until him doing that, I'd seen more than one original tapered reamer sell on T-bay for well over double what he makes new ones for...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

So how much play is acceptable in the upper yoke hole?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

How about zero play in the upper hole and great new threads in the bottom hole? Stevens Front Axle Tool is the best way to fix that problem. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Zero play sound nice. I don't have the Stevens tooling, however. I have .007 and .008 play on the upper yoke holes. The lower threaded holes are in pretty good shape.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Phil,
I think I would make a wrapper out of a tin can to fit around the pin & take up all the play. That would be the "low-budget-no budget way of dealing with it! a .0035 thick shim should do it (takes up both sides, so that becomes .007 shim & the hole likely isn't round, so some parts will be tight.).
There are many reasons to NOT do it this way, but I know it was done "back in the day" and worked for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

I shimmed my axle top and reamed it 0.500 and used a helicoil at the bottom to get a good thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:31 am:

I took David's tip and used .003" steel shim stock in the upper yoke hole. It was so thin, it easily cut with scissors. The spindle bolts fit smoothly and have no play. Will the repair last? I'll find out!

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

What I find interesting is that the upper hole in the axle should see no wear, as the bolt is stationary in it, yet many/most are worn! This is also true of the Hassler brackets and bolts. There must be some logical reason for this!
Oh, and I make NO claims as to the effectiveness of my suggestion! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:11 am:

David,

The bolt really isn't stationary. Since it's not a press fit, the bolt moves maybe .002" or .003" side to side, even when everything is in good shape. Doesn't seem like much but, it probably moves that much maybe hundreds or even thousands of times in a given trip. When mixed with oil & dirt, wear ensues. Now it's moving .005 - .010 at a time and the wear not only continues, it accelerates. Same happens to the bottom threaded end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Jerry,
Ok, that make sense--I hadn't thought about grit getting in there, nor how a little wear quickly becomes a LOT of wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Will not move with a Stevens Front Axle Tool repair. Better than brand new!

"Ask the Man that owns one."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Dan, it sounds like a lot of cars out there that you wouldn't let anyone you loved, ride in.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Herm, your right. A friend would not let a friend drive a Model A. :-)

Why patch it when you can fix it? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Herm, your right. A friend would not let a friend drive a Model A. :-)

Why patch it when you can fix it? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Hmm, my model A friends say the same thing about Model Ts!
We won't go into what the V-8 crowd says. . . . .:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration