1922 Fordor Rarity

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1922 Fordor Rarity
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Still looking for a T project. Passed on a couple. Now looking at a 1922 Fordor. Before I commit to seeing it (it's a day trip), I was wondering how rare these are and if they hold there value well or are they not as desirable? Also, what problems can I expect if it has not been run for ten years(besides the fuel delivery system?) Otherwise body/frame appears mint with original interior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

It would be a 23 as that was the first year, they started production in December I think, it would have the all aluminum body and a low radiator.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/297601.html?1341112656

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Mark, thanks for the link. I was searching for an article like that but was having little luck and forgot to ask.

Called on it and will take a look tomorrow. The gentleman is asking $5500 and seems in line with what I've seen on Hemmings,CL, and Ebay. Mostly all I've seen is basket cases starting at $4k around here. Looks like everything is there along with little "extras" like a motometer, oil can, and an odometer/speedometer (maybe they were standard on a fordor).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

Good luck! Be sure to take pictures and post them here on the forum. If you don't already know, be aware that the file size limit for pictures on the forum is 250K each (best to be under 245K each to be safe). One way to resize pictures that are too big is:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

Will do, hope the flooding north of you has subsided. Use to live north of St. Louis in Foley until a few years ago.

Do you remember or have heard of a guy that had a Model A "farm" in the Ozarks maybe near Salem? Always wanted to check him out. He gave rides on his property in several Model A's and had some period buildings/shops to look at. Also restored A's and sold parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

The flooding has subsided, but lots of cleanup left to do. My area (Hillsboro) stayed high and dry.

Never heard of the place in the Ozarks you mentioned, do you remember where it is/was? I went to college in Rolla, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Kyle, the first Fordor sedans, according to the encyclopedia, were made in December 1922 so, your car would be a 23 or later. Fordor sedans are not really rare but, there are not exactly the most common T. With the fordor you can expect any mechanical problems that one could expect with other model Ts. Expect the engine, transmission, rear axle, front axle, steering column, starter, generator, etc. to have problems because most un-restored Ts have problems with some if not all of these things. Make sure that the wood in the body is in good condition and not rotten because it is a very big job to replace the wood. Hope this helps.

Mark, my younger brother, Matt, is going to college in Rolla now. He's a Nucci.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce CT on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Mark, found what I was referring to in an old rural electric "Current Times" paper. It is Bo's Hollow in Salem, MO. I remember I wanted to take my kids there to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce CT on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Looks like a very nice car.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

It has a radiator apron and those didn't show up until the 24 model year, it also looks like a high radiator, mid year 23. And the cowl vent would make it a mid year 23. Check your engine number on the drivers side just above the water inlet on the side of the engine.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Looks to be a '24 model. Very nice indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Yep, looks like a '24 from here, although could be a '25 too. It's very hard to tell the difference from pictures. Looks like a really nice car. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 03:45 am:

Kyle, looks like a really nice Fordor, I would take it for that price, if it wasn't on the wrong side of the country. As for being rare, Ford didn't make as many of these like they did for the Touring, Coupe and so on. They are about 500 pounds heavier, than the rest, which was probably a draw back, because the same engine was used as the others, so a lack of power was given up for the comfort, of an enclosed car. A lot warmer in the winter, though. Everyone has a preference in the style of Model T, and I'm glad now, that I held out for mine. An Aluminum head can be added for more power, which does make a difference, and mine has a Ruckstell rear end, for climbing hills, where I live, so it just comes down to, what you like the most in a T. Good luck.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Go for it Kyle. 4.5K is huge bang for your buck. Looks like you could just get in it and drive! Wish I could find T's like that where I am from. I never see T's like that on Ebay or Hemmings etc for that kind of money. Looks great go for it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Looks like a 24-25 to me. I wonder if it has the original engine in it. It could have been restored by the looks of it some time ago.
As far as any work needed on the car, the most time consuming is already done and that's the body.

The easy part comes now and thats getting it running.

A decent price for a closed car I think.
The hard part is already done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Kyle..looks like a nice car. I'd like to have one like that someday. Here's a dumb question...your first post before you went to look at it was at 5:15 PM and your post of pics was about 5.75 hrs. later...how'd you make the trip from CT to MO that fast?? LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:35 am:

When you go to check it out, take a magnet. If it's an early 1923 a lot of the body panels are aluminum. As you go through the model year, fewer panels are aluminum. A later model year will be all steel. Of course the serial number will give you the year of the engine. Whether it came with that car is another question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Steve knows what he's talking about...

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG86.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce CT on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Tim, the pictures are from the ad. I decided to get it. Haven't had a chance to really look it over but it does turn over and has all new bolts on the bottom end and a newer looking radiator. Will get some pictures up in a new thread when I get it out of the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

See if the owner knows if the thrust washers in the rear axle have been replaced with bronze!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

If the radiator is newer and is a flat tube you just saved around $5-800 dollars instead of having to replace it!
This may be one of those rebuilds or restorations where someone else spent the money and you get the benefit from it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce CT on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Thanks for all the responses: You may check out the new post for pictures.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/601891.html?1452128599

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration