Turn signals , give your opinion.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Turn signals , give your opinion.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

I know we need to be safe and smart when we drive these old automobiles. I want to put turn signals on my 23 coupe, which do you like the best and prefer? I have seen the advertisements for wireless ones . Are they a safe and sound investment and do they really work, or should I go with the conventional type?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

I'm ordering the hidden system from Langs this week they seem to work good and no ugly box on the steering column

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

I have the wireless on one car, they are very bright and work well, the controller is very small, they are only rear signals.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

I have Logo Lites on both my T's and like them. I mount the front ones on the bolt on the front of the frame rails and the rear ones on a piece of flat iron hanging down from the top support brackets on the touring, and on the rear bumper of the 26 coupe. the box is magnetic and sticks to the dash and is easily removed and stuck on the underside of the dash if I want it out of sight. They make a "cricket chirp" when on that makes Teresa remind me to turn them off.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I have the wireless system on my 1910 because I did not want to add wiring and change the original design. I also have battery powered flashers on the rear.

I just added a complete wired turn and brake system to my 24 Depot Hack. The advantage is you get front flashers with the wired system.

It really is up to the user and preference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Conventional wired system. Lights in each corner + 4-ways. With a little common sense the system can be installed without drilling any new holes or making any unchangeable mods. Pictured are the rears on the '23 Touring. The fronts mounted on brackets using the the head light stalk nuts. Be advised: VERY few people will pay attention to your signals any way (you're just in the way period) but they should be mounted approximately where the chimps that talk driving behind you expect them to be. Again, fair warning: don't expect miracles from others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

John, i bought some motorcycle blinkers online for short money and fabricated some brackets so that i could stick them into a space that i thought was the least annoying, aesthetically. I then added a "Ticken through time" hidden unit that just utilizes a three way toggle switch that i mounted under the dash so that is nearly invisible. Its a little more work, but you don't have that big unit mounted to your steering column, which i think is a big plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRSdq7wUNI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I use my left arm.....But I often wonder if the 20-40 year old behind me has a clue why I am "waving". Of course I also wonder if they see the turn signal on my F150. Maybe if I could somehow send them a notice on their cell phone that I was turning or stopping I would feel safer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:44 am:

It said to give opinion,and i think nothing spoils the look of a old car like amber chrome and plastic!!!! Like Bob i use my left arm so i stay off the road at night. I think if one must have turn signals i would remove my burners in my lamps and wire those which is easily removed/restored?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Pretty much agree with Ken. However, I think the "E-lights" from the Egypt garage are as about as unobtrusive as you can get and still have a certain margin of safety from the idiots who follow so close behind us. I'm not too concerned about those from the opposite direction. I use my left arm for those knuckleheads. They don't know what hand signals mean anyway. The e-lights are easily transferable from car to car if need be, and of course removed altogether for that all important purist-driven car show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Regarding "that all important purist-driven car show", note that the AACA' s rules for national judging impose NO penalty for neatly installed turn signals on cars that didn't have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Yup,Felt the jab but you and i both know it's the best show in the world!! Don't let the judging thing put you off this year park by Keith and myself.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Here's a neat turn signal from our collection posted in the past under Accessory Of The Day.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/187425.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

There are still a few areas with country roads so sparsely used, it's safe to ride horses and in such places you can also safely operate a brass-era antique car in stock condition—that is to say, without brake lights, turn signals, or any other kind of safety equipment. _Most of us, however, live in a world with traffic jams and impatient, hat-backwards drivers who change lanes like pinballs and express themselves in a digital manner having nothing to do with computers. _Ninety percent of them wouldn't recognize the hand-signal for a right turn. _Some burgs are worse than others in this respect and I happen to live in that neck of the woods where the New York Minute was invented.

Now, as an idea, driving a century-old horseless carriage in modern traffic is right up there with leisure suits and Beta-Max video, but if you're eccentric enough to buy a brass-era car, let's face it, you're also going to be of a mind to drive the thing. _Under the right conditions, that can be done at a conscientious level of safety. _Ideal conditions include daylight hours, good weather and—here come those two dirty words—safety equipment.

So, do you really need turn signals? _The short answer, if you're driving an enclosed car in traffic, is, "Yes." _In that case, the driver at your right-rear corner won't know you're about to change lanes in his direction because from his vantage point, your hand-signal can't be seen. _Then there's the fact that passengers in the rear seat of a Model T are horribly vulnerable when it comes to getting rear-ended—Tourings are the worst in this respect—and the best answer to that (other than not carrying people back there) is a working brake-light.

The much greater rarity and higher value of the earlier brass Fords—let's say, 1909 thru 1912—pretty much preclude permanent modifications that involve drilling holes. _It is, however, possible to mount a system in such a way that the modification can be completely reversed. _Oh, it won't be as solid as a permanent installation, but it can be done, at least on touring cars and roadsters, because they have saddle arms to which commercially available turn-signal lamps can be temporarily mounted. _ These lights can be wired up to double as brake-lights. _A magnetic-mount "slow-moving-vehicle" sign is also an easily removed, effective safety item.

_ _

_

While there are commercially available bulb adapters for 1915 and subsequent vintage cowl and tail lamps, no such thing exists to put turn-signal bulbs in the earlier, cube-shaped cowl lamps. _You'd have to cobble a square framework together yourself with a soldering kit and some heavy-gauge, single-strand copper wire—times three, because if you need turn-signals, you also need a working brake light.

_

Modern hose clamps, when used with some thin rubber sheeting to protect paint, make for versatile mounting almost anywhere and that includes mounting the on-off-on switch to your steering column.

A hard-wired but removable turn-signal setup necessarily involves unsightly, exposed wires. This problem can be minimized by judicious use of zip-ties, but they're still going to be there.

_

Then, there's the need for a brain-box. _In my experience, Tickin' Through Time makes a very nice, dependable unit and you can order it with a 4-way flasher option. _Here is their website:

http://www.ronsmachineshop.net/Hidden_Turn_Signal_Kits.html

The other alternative is a wireless system. _There used to be an extremely high-quality, wireless, magnetic-mount system available under the name of SmartSignals, but to my knowledge, it's no longer available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_gM6Ii9Vz4

That leaves wireless bicycle-shop items and the setup marketed by Egypt Garage:

http://theegyptgarage.com/

As you can see by the photos, the right and left arrows are close together, sort of like a bicycle setup, and in the heat of battle, some folks might not easily distinguish the left from the right at a glance. _Their ad says, "No holes, no wires."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Guess it depends on where you live. Around here few use them on their modern cars. Get into a big city and try to use one to signal a lane change and you will surely see a display of HP to cut you off and prevent your change of lane. I've never seen the need to add them to my antiques. I do use hand signals, but I don't know that they help. I also have brake lights on 2 of the three antiques (None on my TT, but it's so slow, there's not much difference in speed between cruise and braking anyway).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Yes there is a double contact socket that will snap in your oil lamps in place of the burners.It was a gm part and the number was posted by me long long ago.On a sad note everything Christmas has been put up but maybe the Christmas Sprit will stay in use!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

I use my right arm (RHD) although when in the Speedster or Depot hack I use whatever arm is needed to show the direction and people seem to understand however I live in a small country town, no road rage here....yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Bob, Tickin Through Time is probably the best unit to have as you suggest.. Nice neat package and made in the USA by a very nice young lady owner of the business, Casey. While the original looking lights look nice and work well, the extreme light from large LEDs sure put folks on notice of what is about to happen. The wireless intention signal on the rear are just not bright enough for my liking, but much better than nothing and easy to install. Casey has her unit set up so the brake lights go though that one controller. Front turn lights are not affected. The only additional item needed is a brake switch to make it all happen. And that comes from Fun Projects. My three sets work well. The only issue is when I forget to turn them off. Casey has a buzzer but with my hearing, I most of the time don't hear them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration