Old Photo - Nehi Inn - 1924 Roadside Gas And Grocery Stop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Nehi Inn - 1924 Roadside Gas And Grocery Stop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Built in 1924, and billed as "the world's largest bottle", The Bottle (sometimes referred to as The "Nehi Inn") was built by John F. Williams owner of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, Alabama. The Bottle stood 64-feet (19.5 m) tall, and measured forty-nine feet (14.94 m) in diameter at the base, and 16 feet (4.88 m) at the cap. The ground floor was a grocery store and service station, and the 2nd and 3rd floors were living quarters and storage. The neck of the Bottle had windows so as to be used as an observation tower. The "bottle cap" was the roof. Inside there was a spiral oak stairway. The Bottle became a gathering place for tourists and locals alike to swap yarns and have parties every Friday night on the balcony above the service station

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

I miss the days when commercial buildings were built to advertise their product. Along the route 66 in Arizona were motels built like Tepees, and there was the Jack on the top of the Jack in the Box restaurant and Van de Kamps restaurant and bakery in Los Angeles which was built like a dutch windmill. Then there was a restaurant in Hollywood built like a hat (Brown Derbe) And the giant oranges along Highway 99 in the San Juaquin Valley selling orange juice in the summer time.

Those were the days before the "Blanding of America" Now days there are design restrictions and sign regulations that make it hard for a visitor who is not used to the area to even find a business. And there are also many chain businesses. Almost everywhere is a MacDonalds, Submarine, Taco Bell. Almost all the department stores have become "Macy's".

Those were the days My friend.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

In Spokane Washington just off of I-90 there is a very tall milk bottle shaped building that is now an espresso stand. Also in Spokane was an old dealership building and when you drove into the service area they had a 3 dimensional hood and radiator shell on the outside of the building which you drove thru when entering.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Nehi grape soda and a Moon pie used to be a favorite snack when I was a teen ager. Have not seen either of those in stores for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:17 am:

I love Orange Nehi. All the good sodas are gone. I also miss "Teem" something awful. Loved that drink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:21 am:

The bottle building is neat, but the 49 foot diameter is bogus. It looks like about a car length, and that car is not 49' long. I could believe a circumference of 49', which would be a diameter of about 15 feet.

I'd like to go to Nearing's Bay View Market and pay my nickel for a bottle of Bireley's strawberry soda, but I can't do that anymore.

Some of you southern California guys may remember this diner at Florence and Figueroa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Radar O'Reilly's dream store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Zep Dinner? Sounds like the place would give you gas! :-)

Speaking of Radar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Made me think of this, not far from me....

http://www.catsupbottle.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:13 am:

This was near Wheeling WV I loved to see it when I was I kid. It is gone now though.

http://www.route40.net/page.asp?n=10030

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Royce, Moon Pies are still around in the South, a common staple.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:30 am:

There's a Moon Pie General Store in downtown Chattanooga. They sell build them yourself assortments of the multiple flavors of Moon Pies and have a video of how they manufacture them. There is a Harley shop next door along with several other souvenir type businesses. On the other end of that street is the restored train station with a restaurant whose claim to fame is its ice. The oysters were pretty good.

Been there, done that, and bought my wife the Moon Pie t-shirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:35 am:

You beat me to it Steve. No way those measurements can be anything but circumference. It's still big, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

That looks like my model A in front of the Zep Diner! Southern CA? It is possible!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration