OT 03 Model A Radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT 03 Model A Radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

How long are the tubes, and how many disks are there on a 4X4 Model A radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 06:27 am:

Tom,

Ref Chapter 9, page 18 of 26 in "Pate's Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia" -- tubes were 27.33 inches long.

There are a lot of other details about the individual fins on the tubes etc. on pages near that. Also a discussion that the do not have a specific cut over date. And he has a discussion on the flow of the water etc. through the ends of the radiator etc.

I would encourage any owner of a 1903-1909 Ford or someone who wants additional details about them to obtain a copy of Carl's excellent book. They are available from the vendors, the club store, and the author at: http://www.earlyfordcars.info/

I would also suggest they join the 1903-1909 Early Ford Registry at: http://www.earlyfordregistry.com/ -- they are also a chapter of the Model T Ford Club of America.

From memory -- not as good as it once was -- I'm 80% sure that someone has reproduced an accurate reproduction of the original tubes with the individual disks on them. Brass works would be a likely choice for that, but it may have been someone else?

And of course any photos you can take while you have it apart would be appreciated.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:18 am:

A 4-wheel drive radiator? Wow, that's gotta be something to see!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

There are 60 fins per tube, tube length is 20.5". Distance between radiator mounting holes is 24 1/8. These measurements are from an original radiator and there are many repo radiators out there , so your dimensions may vary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

Thanks Hap, that is good information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

That's great info Kim, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Tom, the rube length on the repo radiators I made was also 20.5" so I'm pretty sure that's correct. I have complete side castings for the 4x4 radiators if you need pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

These are the tubes I made, there about 58 fins per tube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:29 am:

Kim & Tom,

Bottom Line Up Front: I apologize for my oops! My bad – I didn’t read what was printed correctly in Carl’s book – he also the single tube length as 20.5 inches.

Additional details:

Kim,

Thank you for the additional details. I was going to send Carl Pate a note that he might have a type-o there in his book. Then I looked closer and noticed he had the length not as 27.33” but 27.33’ (i.e. feet). So then I looked at his chart again. He is comparing how the total length of the cooling tubes increased over the years. I.e. the 1903 had 4 rows high by 4 rows deep of tubes for a total of 16 tubes. Total tube length is shown as 328”=27.33’ . If we divide the 328” by 16 tubes it comes out to 20.5 inches for each tube.

For the 1904 AC it has 18 tubes 6 x 3 – for 369 total length divided by 18 also equals the 20.5 inches for each tube.

And the chart goes all the way up to the 1906 F showing the different radiators how many rows high by depth and total combined length of all the tubes. For the 1906 F the total length of the tubes combined had increased to 861 inches. A lot more length and cooling area (they went to larger fins also) than what they started with in 1903.

I need to remember not to try and read charts early in the morning! (Yes, I did it again just now – but I had a good gouge on what the correct answer really was so it was much easier to see how to read the chart.)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration