Color of manifold clamps. Block green or manifold iron?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Color of manifold clamps. Block green or manifold iron?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

I've seen the list of the colors of the details of a 26/27 engine, but can't find the manifold clamps on that list.

If I paint the engine block holeskin green or the current representation of it and paint my manifolds high heat iron, what color would the clamps be?

Iron? Green? or the accessory shade of gloss black?

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

The exhaust manifold and clamps were not painted originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Here is a late '25 factory floor photo, close up of showing the manifold side of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 09:06 am:

So, iron it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:10 am:

That has the wrong carb needle adjuster for a '25. ??? What's up with that? Or is the U-joint flopped over or reflection that looks like a T.

The picture is not real clear. The clamps could be black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:19 am:

I agree with Ken,the engine details look more like '23 - 24 to me.

Fresh cast iron looks quite dark. I would not paint either the manifold or the clamps. I think they look great natural.

This is the '27 cutaway engine at the Henry Ford Museum showing the original Moleskin color and the raven finish head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 11:28 am:

I'll post a photo when I'm done painting and detailing so you can judge. My current manifolds are rust and really detract from the engine appearance.
I'm not trying to change the world, just taking them back to an iron color to replicate what they would look like out of the factory. Don't know how much actualy driving this T will get done, so they may stay iron for a while or may just turn to rust color again.
They look pretty nice right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Robert,

Consider coating the exhaust manifold with stove black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

So far this has worked for my manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

there is also a high-heat "cast iron grey" paint out there, that closely approximates bare cast, but offers protection. I think it looks really good; much better than rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

The high heat cast iron paint is what I've got, sprayed some on the manifolds and they look brand new. Was just wondering about the clamps. I'm leaning towards doing them the same color and heat protection. I'll do the nuts ravenized or steel.

Now, about that knigsford L4 swivel top carb . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Did you see the 7-26-26 note above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Robert, Clamps should be high temp engine black as noted above.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration