OT - More on a pic Jay posted of a Model K

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - More on a pic Jay posted of a Model K
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Jay posted a photo of a mud spattered Model K tourer (K roadster with front seat in place of single rumble seat) in late 2015:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/597805.html?1451142922

Another forum reader, Brian in K.C., was kind enough to send a higher resolution copy of the photo. A few interesting things about the HR photo, placement of the acetylene tank, and what looks like an electric light on the steering column, evidently to show the speedometer:

My guess is the light was added for this trip, as the run from OK City or K.C. over a 26 hour period (18 hours running time, for about a 24 mph average). Maybe they wished to keep an eye on the odometer, so they knew when to fuel?

Thank you Brian, for sending the photo, and Jay, for the original post. Incredible detail!

(Message edited by Rob on January 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 05:06 am:

Rob, I posted that photo a couple of years ago. It drew some interesting comments if I remember, and someone gave information about that run. I will see if I can find the thread.

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:40 am:

Dane,
If you click on the link above, there are a few period news stories about the run, including this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:49 am:

aca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:03 am:

That poor car. What a mess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Tim,
And it returned to Oklahoma City the next day. How about the poor garage detailed who gets the job of cleaning it up to put on the lot?

I decided to look into the Stoddard that was trying to overtake the Ford by Kansas City. Turns out it was a six cylinder, 50-60 hp car, and the Ford 6-40 beat it to Kansas City by more than 45 minutes:

The two cars have similar wheelbase and engines, dual ignition, etc. The Ford weighs about 2500 lbs. (roadster with tourabout rear seat) while the Stoddard about 3400. The Model K rated about 40 hp, the Stoddard 50-60. The primary difference, $2,800 for the Ford, $4,500 for the Stoddard Dayton:

In today's dollars, over $40,000 difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

To finish this, I found another article that spelled out the route, or at least the towns the two cars travelled through between Oklahoma City and Kansas City. For those who drive to Chickasha from parts north and east, the route may look familiar:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration