Old Photo - Model T Era Roadside Gas Station And Restaurant, Anywhere USA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era Roadside Gas Station And Restaurant, Anywhere USA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 11:54 am:

With a sign that says "beer 10 cents", he shouldn't have to stand there and wave cars in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I wonder when this was taken? When was that style of gas pump in use? Before or after prohibition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

One way to estimate date would be to consider when a dinner could be purchased for $0.40.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

This is just like the "Live In" gas station just down the road from where I grew up. The whole family pumped the gas; Dad, when not at work, mom when kids were in school, and my baby-sitter when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

When I was a kid I pumped gas from a visible pump like that in Brewster Massachusetts. When I say pumped gas that is literally what you did because you manually pumped the gas up into the glass cylinder and then gravity fed it into the car. Wish I had a pump like that outside my garage today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

A lot of interesting details here about how "things were done in the day." Notice there is no concrete "island" for the pumps, nor a paved driveway. The door frame make no attempt at being square with the building (nor is there any "handicapped access"). The original building has been added to both in the back and along the side, you can see the change in the roof line, which also shows up that there is no foundation on the addition, although the original building appears to have one. The back addition is likely for the kitchen, is the side addition more seating for the restaurant, or a home for the owners? There doesn't appear to be any parking lot, so the restaurant could be just a couple of tables. This was all considered normal for the times; was even somewhat "normal" when I was a kid, just as were 800 sq. ft. homes. My how the times have changed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Was showing the picture to Linda, and she commented on the flower boxes, and then I noticed what appears to be a radio antenna going from the electric service "pole" on the near end of the building to a pole at the far end of the building.
These old pictures are neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

i have a pump like the one on the right in me shop. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

The other way to date it would be Prohibition. 1919-1933? So I would assume(dangerous I know) it has to be before '19 which I doubt because of the visible pump or after '33.

Unless it was near beer??? Doubtful.

Most likely mid thirties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

I think Larry is on the right track. Mid '30s is my guess too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Eat Here, Get Gas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Our radio antenna went to the huge pine tree in the yard, good reception when we had a battery pack!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I imagine those attendants got pretty good at guessing how much gas a T would take. Removing the seat cushion in most cases and using a measuring stick. Or did the owners do the guessing? It required some math skills that we don't have to use today. A bad guess would be a hazard.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Customers mostly asked for a specific number of gallons and you pumped that much into the glass. Fill ups were rare. As I recall, if they asked for more than they could take you would stop when full and the excess was retained for the next customer. It was a pain to keep track of as you had to rely on the calibrations in the glass and do the math.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

There was a station like that on highway 10 just west of Ellsworth, Wisconsin.
One night three of us stooped there about midnight in my '33 Ford.
We pounded on the door, the guy got up, turned on the lights and came out and pumped us a dollar's worth of gas.
Just under four gallons.
I don't remember them having a restaurant, but I think they had a bar.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration