'Patch Panel' - Best route?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 'Patch Panel' - Best route?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

'Cranky'(the '25 coupe) still has a leaky passenger door... The bottom of the door -the metal parallel to the ground; the area with the drain holes- is good for Sunday, being 'Holy'.:-) The door skin itself is very good, but the center/inner-door angle support is also half gone. Have checked with Lang's & Snyder's - "Not Available". They suggested contacting Howells's, which is not always successful. Without destroying another perfectly good door (or doing a complete door replacement), any suggestions? Should I just resolve myself to making a new panel? Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Get some sheet metal and make the parts yourself. You can clamp the sheet metal between two pieces of hardwood with sharp corners then use a hammer to fold it over. On the bottom of the door remove the rust one way or another then cut a piece of sheet metal to fit and generously JB weld it inside the bottom of the door. Drill new drain holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:44 am:

A little creativity, and you can usually make your own patch panels in about the amount of time it would take to unpack ones you ordered through the mail. I have, over the years, made some rather complicated repair panels for doors and fender wells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 05:02 am:

Marv,

If you do decide to make your own panels, David Gardiner in the UK has a very good DVD showing a variety of techniques with only basic hand tools.

There is an intro/ad for the DVD on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGElSHzm0q8

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Thanks, Guys!
Andrew, the basic techniques in the video are very appropriate. 'Kinda figgured' I would be best off with making the patch myself, but never thought of using a sand bag. Having a 36" metal-break, the 90 degree bend won't be a problem, just the curve of the door skin. Do wonder though if anyone has dealt with that inner-door angled support piece? Guess it's "putz time" and experimentation....
Marv

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration