Yearly mileage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Yearly mileage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

I just did some figuring and according to my odometer, I put on nearly 900 miles last year. Does that sound about average? What do you fella's usually put on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

I'm sure it varies a lot among folks here, but so far I've averaged a little less than 1000 miles a year.

Now, Dean Yoder is in a league of his own - Dean, how many miles did you rack up total in 2015? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Less than 50

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Considering how much time I spent working on the car, I was lucky to do a little over 500 miles. I hope to do considerably more this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

I usually put on over 4000 between five or so cars. Sometimes over 10,000.

Dean is still the man though, in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

If "dog years" equal 1-to-7 against human years, how many T miles equal a TT mile ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Burger, if you have the regular low 7.25:1 gears in the rear, then your engine will have to turn about twice as many turns for every mile than a T with 3.636:1 needs. So 2:1 would be fair :-)

And I haven't racked up more than about 800 miles in 2015 - might be a thousand in 2016, if God's willing and my crank won't brake..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Just realized I goofed there in my last post above - there's a difference in the rear wheel diameters between T and TT's too, reducing the difference in number of turns per mile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

1/2 mile in 2015.
Just continuing fix pieces and parts. Trying to get it ready for the son's senior prom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Usually about 100 miles a year but that will probably change as my grandson gets his license this spring and he is already driving the T. That makes 4 generations of my family to drive this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

I usually put about 2,000 a year on my T and 3500 on my A in a year. The wife gets a little chilly in the open T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

I figure about 4000 or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Thanks to all the good advice and info from you guys on this forum to help me get our 16 running after sitting 70 years. I put over 100 miles on it. we have a model a and a 36 ford that are running also but the T is a lot more fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

My average mileage for the past 16 years is 7,000+ miles per year. 2015 was 10,000+ sadly about Half of what I had planed.
2017 we will see.
This is my 2015 GPS track log.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Burger, My TT mileage probably average 20 miles a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Wolf Creek Pass in a Model T must be interesting. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Steve, I have done Wolf Creek Pass twice pulling my trailer. 8 miles in Ford low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:45 am:

I average at least 1000 miles or more a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:54 am:

I have no way of knowing what my actual miles covered was this year, but if I had to guess, it
probably involved about 40 day trips of 20 miles or more, so ....800+ ??? Not bad for a rig that
max's out at 19mph.

Last trip out cutting wood before the snows came:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:54 am:

Probably about 10 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:58 am:

I've done Wolf Creek pass too. Eight miles of Ford low means one hour of low pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Dean Yoder
With a 10,000 mile per year driving in a 100 year old car what is your annual maintenance experience? I figure I monkey around with my '17 T for 1/2 hour for every 1 hour I drive.,
I would be interested to know, how many miles to a set of bands, bearing life, coils, rear ends, front ends, tires, generators, cut outs, coils etc?
Thank you
jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:46 am:

Jon,
I installed Kevlar bands in 2009 still good.I broke a crank at 37,000 miles. Re Babbitted I now have over 100,000 miles on my car & trailer. I have replaced 3 rod caps that came loose, 2 looked like In-certs. The last one looked like Babbitt foil and was knocking. I have not inspected the bottom end after replacing the cap in a ditch on the way to Chickasaw 13,000+ miles ago. Rebuilt coils usually
are good for 7,000+ miles until u notice reduced performance. 30-3 1/2 made today last 3,000 miles on driving wheels . I have switched to balloon 21's. I have used a Texas T alternator starting 2008 still going strong. I have used an E-timer
with no maintenance starting when they became available for Beta testing!!!
P.S. I have had coils go intermittent while using the E-timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:18 am:

Tom,
I never taught of it that way, you are correct. I watch my Tachometer when I get in ford low try to keep it at 1600 rpm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 05:50 am:

No offence, Dean, but with a last name like Yoder I expected those miles to be carriage not horseless carriage miles! I am totally impressed with your mileage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:19 am:

I'm impressed with a LOT of these lucky guys mileage! I put almost 750 miles on Clarabelle the '13 (first season with her) so the rest "suffered", probably put around 200 on the '15--oops, Christine, and 400 on the runabout Lizziebelle, poor Pete only got 180 as I just got him back on the road late September I think. I wouldn't have the time to put on all that mileage that some do. Good for y'all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:43 am:

I keep a log of estimated mileage driven on each of my cars. My favorite tour car, 1911 Touring, gets about 1,500 a year. That's doing 2 weeklong national tours and 4-5 mini local tours throughout the year. Still have the 30X3 and 30X3 1/2 Firestones I put on 8 years ago with 50% remaining. Might be all that weight you are carrying Dean that wears the tires. Same coils used with E-Timer too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 10:04 am:

In the first year that I installed a modern bicycle speedometer in my coupe I was surprised to find that I had driven over 2500 miles. And, yes, it was/is correctly calibrated for 30 x 3 1/2 tires. Your mileage does vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:27 am:

I'm a little compulsive and so keep a logbook of maintenance, mileage and other trip details.

In 2014, I logged 472 miles.

In 2015, I logged 519 miles consisting of about 50 trips averaging 10 miles per trip. _My car burns about 14 miles per gallon and I drive about 85 miles (6 gallons) between fill-ups.

I oil the timer about every two days of driving and clean it out thoroughly just about every time I fill the gas tank (which I allow to run down to about four gallons before refilling). _The car gets one oil-change and two grease-jobs per year with plenty of additional attention to the UV-joint and 4th main grease-cups. _The brass gets a comprehensive polishing twice a year with occasional licks here and there to get rid of rain and anti-freeze spotting and tarnish.

Winterizing consists of charging the battery and a dose of Star-Tron enzyme treatment in the gas tank. I'll either change the coolant with 50/50 Prestone or drain the radiator completely. _Every few weeks, I'll roll the car forward or backward a few feet to prevent flat spots from developing on the tires. _I keep two empty 5-gallon gasoline cans and a siphon pump in the garage in case I develop a fuel-tank leak. _Also keep a fire extinguisher in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:38 am:

'26 Roadster Pickup used on national club tours and several other long tours, 2 to 4,000 miles per year.

'25 TT truck, less than 25 miles per year.

'14 Touring, used at the OCF and other places to give rides, and maybe a T club tour, about 250 miles per year.

'27 Fordor, zero miles as the engine is out for rebuild and some other upgrades.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Id say in 2014 I put on around 500 miles, 2015 the car was down most of the year. It's still down with the engine sitting in the garage until I can afford to get the oil pan fixed. 2016 might be a slow year also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Guessing in the 4-500 range. Haven't even driven the T in about a month and 1/2 maybe more. :-( Been too wet and miserable and the last few weeks when we have had clear but cold weather, my battery has gone south to live in the 1948 F2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I would say I do about a 100 miles each summer. The car then sits all winter long.

Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration