What is the best Radiator Flush?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is the best Radiator Flush?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Gentlemen,
My 1911 developed a small leak in the seam at the top of the passenger's side of the Radiator. It would only leak when it got warm,(after around 30 miles)
I sold the radiator. There is a lot of residue in the block form all the Bars-Stop-Leak that I put in. What is the best flush that I can use to clean the block?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:45 am:

I've not used it myself, but I plan to when I get my engine and radiator reassembled. I've read it here on the forum. It's a product called CLR which I believe stands for Calcium Line and Rust, it's used as a tile and shower and plumbing fixture cleaner. It's availabe at most big box hardware stores and maybe even Wallymart.
One bottle to one gallon of water, put it in the stuem and let set overnight. Remove a lower hose and 'ol muddy is supposed to run out of the block. Don't just open the radiator petcock to drain as it will have some large chunks of rust and gunk in it and may clog your drain valve. Flush well with clean water until it runs clear and then tighten everything up and install new anti-freeze at the correct ratio for your location.

Now you know what I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:50 am:

I think I'd be inclined to "separate" the rad from the block. Do the CLR thing with the block, soak the rad in a vinegar solution...roughly 50/50, then thoroughly flush it. You can easily cap your lower hose or the inlet fitting to fill up and soak the block overnight with the CLR. Just an idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Stop leak residue in radiator
I bought Pete's radiator and upon having it repaired, I got this picture of its' innards. It clearly shows the Stop-Leak residue that had attached itself to the tank. The repairman suggested flushing out the block also because it is probably likewise coated. He has to soak and de-scale the radiator before he can even begin the repair. Maybe pepper or a potato are good for fixing a leak as in the old days, but IMHO, Bars Stop-Leak is bad stuff. Hope the suggested flush products do the job Pete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Here's a demonstration of an engine flush using CLR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOZ2MZt5FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3nkPm87X0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Mark: Very effective set up for forcing the mix out of the block. I would like to have seen the water mix collected or strained to actually see how much of the scale or debris was actually dislodged. Sounds like a good flushing product though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Not my video, it came from our own Steve Jelf. Steve, any comment on Willard's question?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Back in the day we always used a product called TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), a commercial laundry product. Run for a while with a mixture of TSP and water, drain and flush, run with straight water, drain and flush again then install antifreeze mix or rust protector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I never thought of collecting what comes out, but I like the idea. I did note when flushing the radiator that a lot of ugly crud came out and went down the drain.

Here's my cooling page: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Here is Steve's radiator flush video showing the crud going down the drain. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLn4KeT3do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

That video is the "proof" of what was dislodged in the process. Nasty gunk that would impair effective cooling of the radiator. Thanks for sharing Jeff. Oily and black might be an indication of a leaking head gasket or a (worse case) an opening in the water jacket. You might want to check these out while things are accessible. Hope it's only the gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:28 am:

Be careful with vinegar in the radiator. If in to long it will "eat" the radiator. I lost a nice 51 Merc. radiator this way. I don't know how long is to long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:59 am:

Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to rig up something like Steve did. THe new radiator has not been installed yet. I think that I will plug the water outlet on the block and fill the inlet with CLR and very hot water, let it soaK , then flush it with the garden hose and air. I feel if I do it a couple of times, it should be fine.
Will,thanks for bringing it to my attention!!!!
I didn't think about it. I don't know why the car did not run hot with all that CRUD in the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Pete, probably because you only ran it while on tour in Maine. Cool weather there? Good thing you did not run the new radiator before you flushed the block. That CLR seems like a good product. Now I think you will be OK. Thanks to this forum for all the good suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Read the instructions on the CLR. It is my understanding that it works best if it sits in the block overnight as opposed to frequent quick flush and drains.

I'm going to do mine this weekend while it sits on it's chain hoist. I have already flushed it out with fresh water and a power washer to get quarter sized pices of rust out. It will be interesting to see how much the CLR gets.

Then, I am thinking of running some Ospho through the block to convert any remaining rust back to metal and coat the block against future corrosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Vinegar works well. Drain the radiator, flush with water, close the drain and pour in a gallon of vinegar. Fill the rest of the way with hot water. Let it sit overnight. You won't believe all the crud that comes out the next day. Flush several times with water, then refill with a proper mix of ethylene glycol and water.

You may need to remove the cylinder head, stop leak tends to block the water passages and it collects around the base of each cylinder into a kind of concretion. It is evil stuff, I will not ever use it after seeing the after effects. I had to do that to my '12 right after I bought it. There was oatmeal, stop leak and water pump lube all mixed together into a sort of gelatinous mash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Will,The radiator started having a problem before the High Country Tour in N.C.. We did that tour and a few local tours,plus Maine last year. This year we did Branson (a lot of hills) and Maine. The car never got hot. I think I Put three cans of Barrs stop leak in!!!
Robert, What is OSPHO?
Royce, I have learned my lesson. I will never put any stop leak in again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:18 am:

I used several with success. Cascade for dishwashers, dissolved in hot water and dumped it in, went for a 20 min. ride to circulate and drained , got rid of a lot of gunk. Then followed by CLR, and another 20 min ride then let it sit over nite. Followed by drain fresh wter and baking soda to neutralize then fresh water and antirust and coolant if you are inclined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Here is some of what came out of my block, after flushing with CLR:

I would also like to know what OSPHO is because I also want to seal up my block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:56 am:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=What+is+OSPHO%3F&oq=What+is+OSPHO%3F&aqs=chrome.. 69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration