So the powerball is up to $700 mil, What would you do with all that money?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: So the powerball is up to $700 mil, What would you do with all that money?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:58 am:

I really don know what I would do with $700 million dollars. After I bought all my family new homes and cars plus tons of cash for spending money. Then of course I would need a massive garage to put all those new and vintage cars and trucks in. But in reality I think that would only come to maybe 5 or 10 million. Not sure what I would do with the rest of that money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

What wouldn't I do with all that money?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Outdo Jay Leno!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

I, like most of you, would give almost half of it to federal and state government. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Henry & Jay.... You're in CA, remember? And Jerry needs your help with that budget! Here in WI, one would hope it could cover the heat bill...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

I'd give a whole big bunch to the Salvation Army. Not sure what I'd do w/the rest, start w/a new roof on the house I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

As a non-married man, I have no one to answer to. I'd buy some dirt out in the woods, build a "warehome", furnish it with tools, and have a beer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

When the California Lottery first got going about 30 years ago my wife, her mother and her sisters were having this same conversation. There was talk about college funds, charities, cars, houses, trips, etc. My father-in-law happened by. He thought for a minute and said, "That stuff all sounds good. The first thing I'd do is buy new recaps for the pick-up!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Of course the first thing I would do is hire somebody to follow me around and keep track of where I leave things. Then I'd hire enough other help to actually complete some projects. That's all moot, of course, because I don't spend money on gambling. I am willing to play the PCH search because it's free. But whether it's that or the lottery, the odds are virtually hopeless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

You're right about the odds Steve. Last night the guys on our local TV news station were talking about it. They said we are more likely to be struck by lightening than win the powerball pot. IMHO that analogy overstates our chances of winning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I just went out and bought my ticket, Sence this morning the jackpot has gone up to $800 million. I think this one might hit the billion bracket!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I'd hire someone to make me thin,tall,young,and handsome!! Yup,that's not enough money!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Put this another way .... you are given the opportunity to manage 700m in any way you
please. No context how the fund came to exist.

Firstly, I am appalled by the way charity (and gov't "charity") works in this country. NONE
would go to handouts under my watch, and some hands-on program would be developed
to help those who get out there and bust their butts to make it. This would, in turn, require
those who were helped jump back in the program as mentors later on. A mentality of sponsorship
would be fostered, much like used in 12 step programs, only this program would be about
financial and civic responsibility.

I'd finish a few of my projects and maybe hire Steve to show me how to look good in a pair
of overalls. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Yup, The odds of winning the lottery are the same as the odds of being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Jay, some unlucky zookeeper might read that and go buy a ticket...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Henry
You are more likely to bet hit by lightening 3 times in a row than winning this powerball lottery but it might happen!

Steve
I'll purchase 2 Powerball tickets. One for you and one for me. If we get a winner I will mail yours to you after I cash mine in.

Will
I have it all figured out. The cash payout is about 70% and taxes are 50% so 700 million would leave only 245 million.
If you spend 10 million on toys you will have 235 million in spending money.
If your 71 -like me- and live to 90 you have 19 years left.
That means you will have to spend 12.4 million a year or 34,000 a day.
WITH THAT KIND OF MONEY YOU COULD RUN FOR PRESIDENT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Ken,
With that much money, the women would find you thin, tall & handsome--the young won't matter to them, in fact it would be better for them if you had one foot in the grave!!! :-)
What would I do?? Well. . .First I start a non-profit to save the Delta Queen steamboat with enough money to convince congress to pass her operating exemption, so there goes $125M (I would, of course have full-time use of the port side cabin under the wheelhouse). Then about $50M to restore the Oroville State Theatre, and keep it operating for a few more years (best way to make a small fortune running a Performing Arts Center is to start with a large fortune) and about $25M for the California Theatre in my hometown of Dunsmuir. $5M to help my brother repair the family resort. $5M to restore the Steam Locomotive (SP 1727) that's in the park there, another $100M to buy the McCloud River Railroad and return steam excursions (using the restored 1727, Oh, and while I'm at it, I should be able to buy the Yreka Western and their Steam engine. What's left over should let me enjoy my home, cars, and add a Stanley and a small steamboat. The rest will likely go to the government, but on the other hand I never had the money before, so I should complain???
I spend too much time daydreaming. . . .
How much is a ticket, anyways?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

My church & its schools would be set for life. Also a local wildlife rehab facility not far from me. Add to that the dog pound, humane society, homeless shelter and of course friends & family. We'd only be keeping a paltry 10 mil. for ourselves. Love the thought of being a philanthropist but can't do it on just a pension!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

I'd find a hundred people in America that have worked for a minimum of 20 years for the same company. They'd have a good attendance record and their performance record would have to show they worked hard to learn their job. They'd drive a car that was a few years old, live in a modest (by my standards) home. They'd represent the backbone of the American spirit that built this country. They'd be miners, bus or truck drivers, active military that have been deployed at least for a minimum of 3 months or others that have worked at manual labor during their life and know what it's like to be continuously pushed to accept the freeloader politicians, welfare leeches, and lazy inner-city scum that suck up all the handouts this government insists the working man provide. Once I found the 100 people, and determined, based on my opinion, they meet my requirements I'd give them a portion of what I've got and make sure any taxes our miserable govt decided they owed were covered by me. I wouldn't give anything to any churches, welfare recipients, orphans, little sisters of the poor, Catholic Charities, Lutheran Services, or others that leech off the working people in this country. Then I'd have a cold can of beer and maybe watch a Minnesota Wild hockey game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Oh my...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Will:
i would buy the whole state of Wyoming ...tell about 1/2 the people to get out , too many people there already !always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Well, If I buy a lottery ticket, it will be after the 700 plus million dollar ticket is bought and won and it all starts from scratch. Everyone is broke from buying tickets to the big win and can't afford more tickets. So in my theory, that should increase my chances of winning the jackpot of whatever.
I have given it alot of thought and honestly,what the heck would a fellow do with half of that,say if 350 million was left for you to play with?
Me?,I can't eat but so much,the house has been good enough for this length of time so just a paint job and some new carpet. My cars are old but run fine, maby a paint job on my pickup.
I would get another building put up to keep a decent old car or 2 in. I would find a Tucker,either a real 1 or 1 of the fiberglass kit cars that was done right. And 1 of the red Lamborghini's like was on Cannon Ball run.
And purty much I would just get some of my projects finished.

Regardless of how much money is in my pocket,as a matter of principle,I aint paying to much for something. I am used to being a titewad so I doubt that would change much with 700 million.

I think since the lottery started,well for that matter during my lifetime,I may have bought 10 tickets? Closer to 7 or 8 probably. Someone in my family,I don't remember who, told me sometimes the best way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

This T shirt comes to mind here.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Relax guys, I paid the $2 idiot tax and am now the proud owner of the ticket that will win tomorrow night. You can all stop worrying about what you'd do if you won. I promise to waste a lot of my winnings on rust. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

David Dewey - I can help. My Stanley is for sale. PM me when your ticket wins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

If I won that money, I would buy a bottle of the rarest, most expensive wine in the world, one that costs tens of thousands of dollars. Then I would hand it to some homeless, drunken bums in an alley and photograph them drinking it. Then I would send the photo to the company that made the wine. Just because I can afford to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Since we're dreaming; I'd build a Model T factory. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

I would buy all you guys cars and make them all speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Dave Wells. You are my hero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Gilbert:

Since we're of topic anyway. tell us about your Stanley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Hey Michael, thanks so much. One more thing I would do is buy the Highland Park Plant, all of it, and open the doors to the public with an admission price of $5.00 a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

I'd buy all the squirrels I could and send them to Washington & California - I hear they have a ton of nuts

!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

My wife says the first thing is: Don't tell anybody. Act normal.

If you spread the word of your winnings there will be people knocking down your door and ringing your phone 24/7 trying to help you spend it. You'll spend the rest of your days trying to deal with the inconvenience of your sudden wealth.

Learn to live with what you have and be happy with it. Or...If you can't be happy with what you've got, then work harder to make more. Much higher chance success than buying a lotto ticket.

Sorry to be a party pooper. I view lottery is a tax on people who don't understand arithmetic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 12:14 am:

I realize money won't buy health and happiness. But with a lot of it you could be sick and sad in some real nice places. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Gee, Thanks Gilbert!
Why would you want to sell your Stanley??
I do have a 20 hp Stanley engine, with some rear axle parts. I had a dream of building a 1907 Gentleman's Speedy Roadster. Doubt that will happen now--too many Ts to do & other stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 02:02 am:

If you get the chance to spend half the money you won't be able to buy much, In my country it won't buy much. When you think about it even $350 million wont go far. The upkeep on bought things is a killer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 02:31 am:

There is a story about this same topic. It seems a man asked his wife the same question. Her response was that she would take half of it and leave him. He said, "here is six dollars because I just won twelve in the lottery".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:39 am:

The Stanley is a fascinating toy. It reminds me a bit of my glider-flying days. Steam car operation and glider flying are exercises in energy management. Your burner/boiler (and the atmosphere) have only so much energy available. If you have more energy available than you're using, you build steam pressure (or your glider climbs). If you're using more than you have available, your pressure drops (or your glider sinks); if you persist, you end up at the side of the road (or in a bean field). And there's nothing spontaneous about either sport. It takes at least 40 minutes to get a cold Stanley driving- and that's after you've supplied it with main burner fuel, pilot light fuel, pressure in the main tank, pressure in the pilot fuel tank, steam cylinder oil, lower-engine oil, and water - LOTS of water!

The picture here was taken at a gathering a couple of days after Christmas; the temperature was about 30, which really reduced performance, since it took inordinate amounts of heat to boil the water. The attached link is to an article I wrote about the HCCA eastern national 1&2-cylinder tour. The last picture in the article shows my Stanley, which I drove on the last day of the 5-day tour. Just to keep it kinda-sorta on topic, the article includes two pictures of Tim Kelly's 1904 Ford. Enjoy!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=880

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Yep, the start-up time killed steam as an automotive power source. This starting demonstration at Hershey took most of an hour. That wouldn't necessarily stop me from having one of these if I had the dough to spare for one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:34 am:

I would love to have a steam car, especially a 1910 White OO like Jay Leno has, but I'll never be able to afford one. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKX1KgIkBwg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I have been enamored with steam power from an early age. I still have the toy steam engine which I received one Christmas during my adolescence.

I would love to have a steam car, but it is the old story of a champagne taste on a beer (or in my ca$e tap water) budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

$700-million is an awful lot of money to play with, even though a buck isn't worth nearly as much as it was even in recent memory. _Every time I buy a new car, it seems to cost ten-grand more than last time—granted, I make a car last 15 years. _I know a few actual millionaires, but by today's standard, they're just considered "comfortable," meaning they live in nice 1-family houses with 2-car garages and a sunken pool, in a fairly new neighborhood—but husband and wife still have to work for a living because they have three kids in college and their property taxes are ruinous. _Yeah, they're doing good, but they're not Thurston and Lovey Howell.

Now, $700-million, though not in Trump territory, is one heck of a piece of change and it's fun to consider what one might do with it. _Spiderman's Uncle Ben once said, "With great power comes great responsibility," and when finding himself in such a realm, only an authentic scoundrel would limit his interest to wine, women and song. _Though I'm a sinner and there have been times in my life when I'd have accepted and enjoyed an invitation to the Playboy mansion, actually moving in was never on my list of ambitions. _I'm also a Christian—an admission that will cause some to stop reading right here—so be it; and I believe in the principle of tithing (and then a little extra on top, just to make sure). _So, right off the bat, 15% goes to the cost of the Great Commission. Then there are other charities like St. Jude Children's Hospital and the Wounded Warrior Project. _Hey, people who are filthy, stinking rich should also be a little philanthropic, right? _Along with the two millionaire families, I also have some friends who are downright dirt-poor. _I'd fix that pronto and emulate Elvis with the additional gift of a new Cadillac to each. _So, everybody from medical researchers to animal rescue organizations would get a taste—no, make that a banquet—'cause heck, I can only sail one yacht at a time.

Then again...
Back when I was a kid, there was an institution out east called The Long Island Automotive Museum and it was the best brass-era auto exhibit this side of the Rockies. _It was owned by Jack Frost Sugar magnate Henry Austin Clark, Jr. _By all accounts, he was a swell guy, but for reasons including a ban on roadside bill-board advertising on the island, couldn't keep the doors open past 1980. _Would the property be available for purchase, I'd write the check, refurbish the old buildings and invite all my brass car friends to garage their treasures where kids could get bit and shook by the old-car bug

(like I was, when still young enough to be in 2nd grade).

If you look at your neighborhood newsstand, one might get the impression that men have two, maybe three basic interests. _To wit: women, machinery, and some also like sports. _Now, I've no interest in sports and am married to an exceptional lady who can still fit beautifully into her old wedding dress, so my idea of fun is pretty much limited to mechanical toys. _I have a little 2-person Sunflower sailboat (made of styrofoam, believe it or not), but with $700-mil in the bank, I could maybe afford something a bit bigger. _Being an eccentric, I've always wanted to own a P-47 Thunderbolt. _Oh yeah, I'd get me one of those. _And cars? _Oh, boy! _I'd be like a kid in a toy store! _I'd start with all the cool cars my Dad used to own when I was a kid (Hit this Facebook link):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1178108862917&set=a.1178107782890.2027251.1534005768&type=3&theater

And then I'd buy a few 40+ horsepower, 7-passenger, brass-era touring monsters, mostly 1910 and 1911-vintage; a Pierce-Arrow, a Packard, Thomas-Flyer, Locomobile, Buick and a Chalmers-Detroit like one of my friends has.

But the Good Lord knew better than to trust me with good looks and money. _Nevertheless, I have all the stuff I really need, from food on the table to a roof over my head and a brass Flivver in the garage. _It ain't a bad deal, but hey, it's still fun to dream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Now over 900 million!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

With my luck 900 million people would win and I would get the bill from the lottery for the extra dollar!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

I'd set up a foundation and have fun figuring how to give most of it away...right after I bought one of those Stanleys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

I think i would give enough to the Henry Ford so we could bring Old 16 out again,and i would like a model K!! When the OCF started charging 25.00 a Friend stayed home the first year in protest so hence forth it would be free!! More parking?? Those who gave/give so much would be rewarded! Will you take a check?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

I would move out of un-incorporated Johnson County,Kansas and build a hobby shop of my dreams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

After much thought, I would keep 15 mil and give the rest to cancer research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Hi Will,

You've got the idea.

This thread started just before noon and the amount was 700 million dollars.. It is 7:20 PM as I start to type and the 6:00 news informed me that the total has risen to over 900 million dollars.

Over 200 million dollars "raised" in less than eight hours by folks who hope (and some may need) to improve their situation.

Two Hundred Million Dollars in less than a "day's work".

If a collection was started to raise money for, oh I don't know, maybe shelter for the homeless, or umm, curing cancer, or ah, er, well, you fill in the blank, how much do you think would be collected in an eight hour day?

Yes, I am a buzz kill.

Just sayin'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

If somebody from Illinois wins it, the state will probably confiscate it and give the winner an IOU! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Buy a new computer, to replace the 10 year old slow machine that I am using now. When I buy a new computer it goes to the wife. I get her old one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:29 am:

Build a "BIG" garage stock it with tools and invite all of my "T" friends over every weekend to teach me what I don't know to ask!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:44 am:

No power ball winner last night. So Gilbert can keep his Stanley for another few days until I win the 1.3 Billion. I did drive my T to the corner store to pay my idiot tax yesterday, so I had fun. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:52 am:

I was talking to the guy at the service counter at my supermarket yesterday about one aspect of no one winning. The Missouri Lottery display sign shows the current jackpot for the Powerball and the Mega Millions. Each one is a three-digit LED number. It can't display over 999 million. I was recalling the dilemma when gas went over a dollar a gallon and the majority of gas pumps couldn't handle a unit price higher than .999 dollars. Around here, a lot of stations began selling gas by the half gallon until they could get the pumps reconfigured. Maybe they'll start selling half tickets..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:57 am:

UPDATE!! I didn't win it...well, no one did!! LOL
It's now 1.3 BILLION and climbing!! Good grief. Getting up into "Trump territory" now!! ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Well i'm on the right track as i had the power ball and one number.The wife tells it's worth 4 dollars so i expect great things! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:22 am:

A number of years ago, the Missouri lottery consisted of six numbers to match. One week, I had two numbers the same, two numbers just one under and two numbers just one over. I have always assumed that that is as close as I will ever come to winning....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Dick...you just brought back a "lottery memory" for me! A long time ago when I played two sets of numbers weekly, like yours, they needed 6 numbers to match. Well, one "lucky" day I got all 6 numbers...EXCEPT 3 were on one set, and the OTHER 3 on the other set!! Still made my heart skip a bit (don't know why really)...I guess to think I could be "that lucky". I quit after that. Figured it was God's way of saying "not gonna happen". Now I do play only the big one's, hoping to one day finally become the Philanthropist I've always wanted to be. Guess it's still up to Him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

To Gilbert Fitzhugh - I grew up in Newton, MA (home of the Stanley, the factory still stands, but has been repurposed). About two blocks from me lived an Episcopal priest by the name of Father Ellis. He had at least three - and I think four - Stanleys. All were beautiful, and all were drivable. In the summer we would see him driving one or another of them. I'm sure that in view of their condition, they all must have survived. This was in the late 40's and through the mid 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Gil,
That's 40 minutes IF nothing goes wrong!! One of the best descriptions of starting a Stanley (IMHO) is in "Smogless Days" I don't know where my copy is, but John mentions Father Ellis & he may have been the author. I haven't read about Stanleys for a number of years, and while the names ring a bell, I just can't be certain.
BTW, Doble had start up down to about 3 minutes; less if the boiler was warm. But then a Stanley and a Doble are two completely different machines, although both are steam cars.
Mark & Bill have it right, and I'm in Bill's situation. Even if I could afford to buy a Stanley, they aren't a car you drive to a meet (unless it's in your neighborhood), and being rather large and HEAVY, you need a good trailer and a big towing vehicle, so add that to your ownership expenses (plus the tow vehicle annual licensing, insurance, fuel, etc.)
I had a small steamcar once, and id enjoy it at the time, until it sent a fog of kerosene vapor into a parking lot when the burner failed to vaporize properly. That scared the dickens out of me, as that's what flash bombs are made of. Fortunately no one was smoking, or providing an open flame and it dispersed. Whew! IF the car had been anything authentic, I would have kept it, but it was a compilation of parts, Locomobile engine, White throttle, my own burner & pilot, water-tube boiler and a 1950s Curved dash Oldsmobile replica body & frame. The car is still around, now with a Doble style burner, and a much better rear axle too, along with improved steering (the newest owner got the Ackerman engineering correct, finally! Scary to think I had it up to 35 MPH with that tiller handle--it felt like 60!
Ah well, back to dreaming--so I didn't win the Powerball, eh? Figured if anyone around this are did, it would have been on the regular news! Gee, and I even bought a ticket--so, OK a $2 math tax!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

"so, OK a $2 math tax!"

And that is a significant portion of why I don't purchase lottery tickets: a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics. After four semesters of calculus, a semester of Statistics, a semester of Probability, Differential Equations, and course names that are dimmed by time I do remember two quotes:

from Albert Einstein: “I, at any rate, am convinced that He (God) does not throw dice."

from Jimmy the Greek: "You can't beat the House."

BUT, if I were to wake up some morning and when entering the kitchen find the table overflowing with banded one hundred dollar bills I would indeed be thankful and begin the unfamiliar task of dealing with a surplus of funding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

And if you try (to beat the house), the house WILL beat you!!
I blame my purchase of a ticket on my dyslexia--I just didn't know any better!! :-)
After I counted the bills, I'd change the locks--how'd the guy get in?????
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:27 am:

Just giving money to "charities" without consideration of how that money is used is a real
hot button for me. We are constantly barraged with "causes" for which to donate, but how
many people really handing over dough take the time to really research or think through
what the need is, the problem is, the cause/s OF that problem, and how money can be best
used to deal with the root cause/s ?

I am a big fan of foundational funds that can provide a source of revenue in perpetuity. One
lump sum and it's game over ... it gets spent and there ain't no more. Invest it right, and it
never quits growing, paying back. Some times, this is a VERY roundabout method.

I like this example ... from the 1940's on, the D&RG tried in vain to abandon their narrow
gauge railroad in SW Colorado. In 1968, they finally succeeded in petitioning the ICC to
approve abandonment, and the states of Colorado and New Mexico were faced with their
poorest counties losing much of its little economic activity and an even greater draw on State
coffers from that many more people supported by public funded programs.

Out of left field came a group of yahoos, who put together a proposal to save a 64-mile
section over Cumbres Pass. They were not particularly interested in anything besides saving
a chunk of this historic railroad, but the selling factor ultimately came down to the States buying
that part of the trackage and equipment at scrap value and operating it through the preservation
group at an annual cost of a million dollars from each state. This has wavered over the years,
but a generalized summary has been tossed out that the RR revenues exceed state support
by several times, and the economic generation in the area because of the RR is estimated to
be around $40 million per year.

So, for every dollar the State puts toward the "investment", they reap a forty dollar return, not
to mention the preservation of history, the employment of many, the retention of lost skills ....
the list goes on and on.

Who couldn't look around in their life and find a great way to invest in something around them
that truly provides an engine to help others help themselves ? Giving away money just invites
the parasites of the world to horn in and steal from those truly deserving of help. Doing good
with charity requires a deeper investment of knowing what is going on and a hands-on approach
to seeing that it goes to the right places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Talk about thread drift! This OT thread is turning into a philosophical discussion of the things to look for in a charity, plus a tutorial on steam cars. I'll make a few more comments.

Burger, I've ridden the Cumbres and Toltec narrow gauge steam train a couple of times, and highly recommend it. Especially if you ride it uphill from Chama to Antonito. Someone told me the engine goes through 800 gallons of water climbing the pass. And I thought Stanleys were water guzzlers! Later, the train crosses the NM-CO border 11 times, sometimes only a couple of hundred yards apart. The (apocryphal?) story is that the surveyor's mule got loose, and he followed it, and that became the route.

My own charity, where I think my modest contribution can make an effect, is an Ojibwe-language charter immersion school on a reservation in Wisconsin.

David Dewey, the most effective technique I've discovered for being sure a Stanley is ready in 40 minutes is not to try to do it in less. You use nothing but a little propane torch to bring a lot of cold things up to sizzling heat so the fuel will vaporize and the water will boil. Do it SLOWLY! Think of trying to start a fire in your fireplace. If you try to set fire to three logs with a match, it won't happen. But if you light some paper first, and put it up the chimney to start a draft, and then use some more burning paper to get a bit of kindling going, and then add a couple of bigger pieces, and THEN put the logs on, you'll get a nice fire going and probably enjoy the process of lighting it.

My Stanley is the smallest one, the 10-horse, and it's not as heavy as my small 1912 Buick. I can put the Stanley in my 24-foot trailer along with either the Model T (a tight fit) or the one-lung Cadillac (easy), and pull the rig with a VW Touareg SUV.

The red Stanley in the picture Steve Jelf posted belongs to John Linderman in Connecticut. It's a superb car, a 20-horse, and yes, it's heavy. John and I shared expenses going to the New London-New Brighton tour in Minnesota in 2014. We put his Stanley and my Cadillac in my trailer because it's long enough, and pulled the rig with his big Ford diesel pickup because it's strong enough. At the risk of boring you with more of my deathless (?) prose, here's an article I posted on the HCCA website about that tour. If ya don' wanna read it, ya don' gotta read it! But it does include some discussion and pictures of pre-Model T Fords.

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=786

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Gil,
Excellent advice & just what I found with my "Locomobile" steamer; but the best way to insure that the Stanley won't fire up properly is to have an audience! :-)
Hmm, so maybe I could afford to stable a 10 HP model, huh?? Hmm; my favorite is the 10 hp blue roadster of ??? up in Washington state. He's got a 20 hp boiler in it and it is a very reliable touring car. Think we first saw it at a SACA meet, then at the Steam Expo '86 in Vancouver & I've seen it elsewhere since then. Nice folks too (aren't most steam auto folks nice, sorta like T folks!).
Of course when a steam car owner is under the boiler, resetting flues at midnight, you might not want to be in hearing range! (That's the sort of time when some kid walks up and says, "Whatcha doin' mister?")
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I would give the government theirs of course. Take care of my family for the rest of their lives and have more model t s and A models than any of us need. Oh and have a really ridiculous garage. I am sure the wife might spend some of the money too! But the model t s and A s would have great lives..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

David, I think you're referring to Pat and Merrily Farrell's 1914 roadster. I've never seen it, but it appears frequently in the Horseless Carriage Gazette in articles about western tours. It has a wicker basket on the rear deck, so they can schlep some luggage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Gil,
That's IT!! We just couldn't remember their names. Very reliable car, though I have never witnessed the fire up. The 20 hp boiler gives them plenty of steam reserve & generation capacity.
But, we're getting a bit far afield of the original thread here!
Now the big debate, do I spend another $2,

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration