Clutch Pedal Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch Pedal Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

The hole in the base of my clutch pedal (for the slow-speed connection clevis) is pretty worn. I'd like to fill the hole with some weld. Removing the pedal would save me from crawling under the car, but I read that one must remove the hogs head to do that, so should I just get under there with the torch?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

My imagination pictures trying to do it in the car as an absolute nightmare. I would pull the hogshead for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

What I did for my slightly worn clutch pedal hole was to machine a steel (or material of your choice) bushing. Used some JB weld applied on the o.d. of the bushing and pressed it into the worn hole. Worked perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Removing the low speed pedal can be a bear even with the hogshead out, see the video below, starting at about 3:40!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVahNWCelbM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Boy, that thing sure gave Mike a tough time. But I don't see any reason to go through all that just to fill and redrill the linkage hole. I'd pull the hogshead out of the car, leave the pedal in it, fill the hole, smooth it with a hand grinder, and drill the new hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

If you decide to replace the shaft and notch be sure that all the holes line up. Some of the repro parts are not drilled in the right place and when you get things together you will find that the place where the low operates the band is below the floorboard. In order to use a floorboard you will need to tighten the band and then the band is too tight and will drag in neutral or high. This will lead to a broken drum or rapidly worn bands. When everything is correct the band must be completely loose with the pedal at least 2 inches above the floorboard. That would be the neutral position. Then when you push the pedal farther, to about 1 1/2 inches the band will be tight for low gear.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Looks like pulling the hogs head is the best plan. I've never done it, but might as well learn. I found one YouTube video on this.

https://youtu.be/65RFX0m5ruc

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

If you are wiry and agile you might be able to braze it reaching down from above. If you do this on a center door sedan, it would help to be a contortionist.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration