Modifying a rear crossmember

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Modifying a rear crossmember
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Has anybody ever modified a later rear crossmember to go in an early frame? It looks like it wouldn't be too much trouble. I have an early frame without the crossmember and I've tried a couple times to sell it but I've decided maybe I should keep it fix it and build a car on it. I see Lang's has some spacers for sale that fit someway back there. I can't remember how an original looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Would be better to restore that early frame with the correct rear cross member. You could do it but a lot of welding up holes, esp. if the later cross member has the extra holes for spare carrier.

Here's photos of correct early frame.

Did this one the opposite way, took a 1923 frame back to fake the look of early frame, 1909,welding up some holes and adding forged running board brackets, with lots of work on the rear cross member to fit the butterfly fender brackets. Looked good from 6 feet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Thanks for the pictures, Dan. Wasn't sure how that early crossmember looked installed. I was thinking about modifying a later one since I don't have an original and they are probably hard to find. I was just brainstorming really. I sure would like to build an 09 look alike. Oh, and a speedster and a TT and then something else I'm sure :-) I need to just finish what I have.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration