Old Photo - THE TRAIN WON!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - THE TRAIN WON!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Jay,

We all appreciate your many early photos!

And concerning the photo above, but for the grace of God -- go I. I can remember as a teenage driver thinking "We can beat that train." I was probably never really very close -- but it was a dumb thought just the same... Fortunately the modern cars never stalled etc. Blind luck or guardian angel working over time Ė Iím thankful so many of us make it to adulthood.

Note Ford introduced the Fordor in Dec 1922 during the 1923 model year. The car above is a low cowl, low radiator, no radiator apron, no lip on the front fenders to match the radiator apron, and no cowl vent Fordor.

At: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1923.htm Bruce stated:

The cowl section and lower body section were changed to steel during the year [1923]. There was no cowl vent in the early Fordor sedans but the vent was added during early 1923, before the change to the larger hood.

That would make it an early 1923 Fordor.

I like the accessory drum headlamps. They look similar in construction to the K-W style shown below that Jim Rodell, Sr. provided and was posted on the forum at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/362005.html?1368679570 .

The ones in the original photo look a little thicker (i.e. more distance front to back?) than the K-W illustration. But it may just be the angle.

Jarvis was kind enough to send me some additional information on one of those similar styles of headlamps. I looked with the hopes of adding it to this posting but I havenít been able able to locate it yet.

Again, thank you for posting the photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Hap, I have the exact same drum headlights on my speedster. They were nickel plated brass, but I stripped them back to brass. The lens rim is a duplicate of the rim at the back of the light. The rear one is just for decoration. The ones in your period advertisement are likely to have a painted steel body.

They do not have a stalk mount like a T light. Mine have a solid brass cast bracket with a mounting flange oriented front to rear being drilled for a 3/8" bolt.

I had never been able to find out which vehicle they came from. Perhaps this photo indicates that they are aftermarket accessories. If anyone wants to make up a pair, I have a third one in my swap meet stocks.

Allan From down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Allan,

No rush, but when you have a chance would you post or send a couple of photos of your headlamp and especially the bracket used to mount it and how it attaches to the light.

And correction -- I sometimes see what I want to see. The advertisement was for a K-D Lamp and not a K-W Lamp.

K-D Lamp may or may not have had a branch licensed in Canada to help them avoid tariffs in the British Commonwealth Countries.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration