Frame coating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Frame coating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

What do all of you folks use to paint or coat your frames?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Por 15 a lot of it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

After making necessary frame repairs, and having the frame sandblasted I used Rustoleum primer and gloss enamel on it.

Some powder coat their frames. The answers will vary on what to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

I did what John K. did. It turned out great and is not very costly to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

powder coat cheaper & better than paint!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Rustoleum, two coats, is durable but give at least a week to cure after second coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

I've tried various paints, pretty much strictly use good old acrylic enamel. Getting a bit pricey, like $100 a quart, but goes a long way, is durable, and really looks good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Rustbullet and Blackshell ...www.rustbullet.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

My powder coater now has a pre powder coat filler for pits and blems. He sez it will fill and is sand able, Then after the prep he will apply the finish coat. I have not used it yet but plan to on my sprint car restoration.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 12:45 am:

Rustbullet is not UV sensitive like POR-15, the 'flash time' is about 4 hours, and integrates with any minor rust to seal seams. GOOD STUFF!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:31 am:

I used a 60/30 mix of mayonnaise and earwax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:38 am:

burger you made me choke on my morning coffee. well done!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Burger--

Is that brushed on or sprayed ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Sandblast, 2 coats of Black DP90 primer, 3 coats of Black Acrylic enamel Paint. Looks good and last long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Sandblast, epoxy primer, double wet coat of DuPont Centari acrylic enamel with gloss hardener additive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

POR 15 is great stuff, but about the only paint you can put over it is more POR 15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

sand blast to much work.over in Kansas they will blast and powder coat everything axles,springs,frame for about $400.00 any color you want. Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I used POR 15, then used POR 15 Primer/Tie Coat. Then top coated with 2 coats of Gloss back oil base from Tractor Supply

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Powdercoat isn't an option here in Nova Scotia, no-one does objects the size of an truck frame. I'm doing 1950 Mercury frame, no real pits, just needs a good blasting to remove some surface stuff. Was just looking for the toughest coating I could find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Another vote for Rust Bullet. It is the closest thing to powder coating that I have used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Burger-- Is that brushed on or sprayed ?

We keep some large vats here on the compound for making blood pudding
during the hog slaughter. They work well for dunking the whole frame, but I
expect brushing or spraying would work as well if careful to get all angles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Can Rust Bullet paint be tinted???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

bump...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:26 am:

Russell, I've never had a need to tint it. You would have to go to their website for the answer. www.rustbullet.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak, Chicago, IL area on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:20 am:

About how much Rust Bullet is needed to paint a frame, by brush?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Bob, plan a 2 pints of automotive gray and two pints of Blackshell. You can skip the automotive gray if you want but they won't warrantee it for 10 years if you do that. My experience with it has been very excellent. Even the areas that just have the Blackshell on it are holding up like the day they were painted. It is about as close to powder coating without the hassle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Black gloss Rustoleum. You can buy it anywhere. I have it on three T's, and one has been restored for 54 years. Can't beat that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:33 am:

A little bit of thread drift - it seems lately that the nozzles of the spray cans of Rustoleum clog up way before the can is empty. Removing the nozzle and soaking it in lacquer thinner doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and how did you fix it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Mark, did you turn the spray can upside down and sprayed out the last paint in the nozzle before storing the can between use?

I always save old nozzles from all sorts of spray cans (doesn't take much room) so I have some others to try with if there is a problem, so I've never had the need to try cleaning one out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Yes Roger, I tried that, didn't seem to help. These new cans have a different design nozzle than the old ones, but maybe I can get an older one to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Yes, I did check the Rust Bullet site and it does mention color but gives no details or range.
I note they do offer a clear coat which I am wondering could be used over a different color and paint product.

I will locate an outlet and give them a call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:20 am:

John C Codman, You can paint over POR 15 with other paint. Read and follow the POR 15 instructions. They want you to wait until the POR15 has a bit of drag when drawing a finger across it, meaning it hasn't fully cured. At that point you can top coat with your choice of paints.
This method works quite well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:12 am:

Mark, that isn't a new problem. I've been using Rustoleum spray paints, plus most other brands, for 50+ years. What happens is, the paint dries up in the top of the tube that the nozzle fits on. What I do, is push a small rod(a 3/32" welding rod works great)into the tube. Be sure to wrap a rag around it, as it gets messy. That will clear out the semi dried paint. You may have to do this more than once. A can of brake cleaner comes in handy to. Squirt it in the nozzle to clean out the thickened paint, it may take more than one try. Also, save every spray nozzle that you have after the can is empty, and clean it out with the brake cleaner, no matter what brand. Some will interchange, some won't. Hope this helps. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

The primer cans from Rustoleum apparently have a soft suction tube so they spray from any angle. They suck. You cannot tip up in any way to clear the tube and nozzle. Had one tall can of gloss black that lost its tube and could only spray upside down.
Please remember with powder coat. NO sharp edges!
Round those sharp edges if you have them or you'll have a very thin spot. Powder coat also hates laser cut edges. Play with those rules and your all good. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

I use the oil that leaks out of my engine. It's easy to do and fun too. All you do is drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

It's for a frame off restoration of a 1950 Mercury M47.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

sharp edges!! i make gas pump sheet metal parts that are power coated this is 20 gage metal it is very sharp after, coating it wont cut you ,if you have thin coating i would say you coater has a problem .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Rustoleum rattle can gloss or semi gloss, either one works and it's easy to touch up too. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration