OT - has anyone lowed a model A?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - has anyone lowed a model A?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

I made this 31 A Boat tail speedster. I have never been happy with the way it looks. It needs to be lowered 3 -4 inches. I could Z the rear easy enough but can not figure out how to lower the front and still use the manual brakes. Has anyone ever seen or done this?
I have also cut the boat tail off because I think now it needs to be shorter, lower and more rounded or make it a bob tail. Any ideas are welcomed. I don't want to start all over but if I have to.

The height of the radiator sets the hood height which makes the car to tall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:35 am:

If you want to lower the hoodline i has moved the radiator forward and lowered on Z brackets on a car to do just that. had to make a longer hood though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:35 am:

I lowered my 29 model A by using a 35 Ford front axle with the 35 brakes etc.
You should pick up about 1 1/2 inches plus reverse the spring eyes and gain another 1 inch.
So you are more than half way there...
I don't recall all the details now and I sold it later, but I needed to fool around with the front hub brake lever mechanisms, so I made a small tag that bolted between the top of the spring perch and the bolt point of the hub brake mechanism and it worked out fine.
Just a piece of flat bar about 1/4" thick with two holes drilled in it to accommodate the change in axle height from the A axle to the 35 axle.
Better front brakes with those 35 drums.
I also took a couple of leaves out of both front and rear springs, but you may find you really need good shocks then.
Steering push/pull rod will also move out of the level position so you may find you will need to address that or else your steering maybe off when you hit bumps etc.

For the rear you can reverse the spring eye and get 1 inch and loose a couple of leaves and nearly get another inch.
Just reinforce the top of the frame over the axle line and then notch a little out if you have the space and the engineering still in the rear to accommodate such a fabrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Joe Casto in Ponca City can drop your front axle up to 4". He did one for me and it was very well done.

http://www.joesspeedshop.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Get some Super Slider Reverse eye springs from Posies Springs in Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

On my 29 highboy roadster I had a dropped tube axle with original brakes. The model A wish bone fits a 2 1/4 thick axle. The dropped axle I used was for a later model Ford which are 1/4" thinner. This 1/4" gap allows the fitting of a strap iron spacer which became the bottom mount for a strap iron strut that goes up and attaches to the original brake shaft mount on the spring perch and then continues on up the amount of the axle drop to locate the brake shaft. This is hard to explain but if you have the parts in hand it is fairly simple and works well. The strut on the driver side will need a curve in it to clear the drag link. Unfortunately I sold this setup with out taking any pictures.
The reason this was removed is I didn't think it looked period correct on my car, it was replaced with a 32-34 axle which had more of a "smile" than an A. If you go this route use model A cross shafts with the 32-34 perches, this is necessary for proper alignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon-Pierre Smith on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

If radiator height is the issue: When I got my "A" it had a Model T radiator shroud. The radiator was a model A top and bottom tank with a shortened tube stack holding them together. It also has a V8 pump, but I don't know if that was necessary for the radiator change. It had an electric fan (ugly and barely functional)that I replaced with a 2 blade fan with a chunk of the tips cut off. It isn't perfect, but it sits idling through 3 lights and gets to 220F on the 4th. Any road speed it cools fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration