Gow Jobs and Rat Rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gow Jobs and Rat Rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Call me a purist or an old Fart if you want to, but it always raises my blood pressure a notch when I read either one of these two terms, especially the first one. I don't know who dreams up these terms, but I have one question.

Does 'ow' in GOW sound as 'ow' in COW, or does it sound as 'oh' as in BLOW?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

I've wondered that too Terry. Why not just write "Go"? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Hi Terry, this came up on another forum a while back.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gow-job.34415/

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gow

Andrew

(Message edited by Ab4875 on January 09, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

The term gow-job has been around since the Model T days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Dan, I guess I've lived too sheltered a life. I started an interest in cars around 1959-1960 and my Dad and I restored my Grandfather's 27 coupe between 1966 and 1970. My Dad worked at a service station in the early 20's as a kid but I had never heard or seen either term until the last 10-15 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Andrew, the HAMB forum post makes sense, but as a non drug user and a despiser of drug use, it doesn't make my tolerance of people with limited vocabularies, any greater. I have heard the term "hot rod", ever since the 50's, and I don't have, nor never had, an issue with it. Oh well, I'll quit complaining. I guess I need more important things in my life to raise my blood pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:40 am:

SOS

" Students Of Speed "

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:33 am:

As I understand it, "gow job" (gow rhymes with cow) is a 20s-30s period term when people were modifying their cars but keeping T engines, T axles, etc. The term "hotrod" came about in the 40s, and by then everyone was using V8s to go fast.

To me, it seems to be the best way to differentiate between build styles and eras.

Maybe "Jalopy" would be a better description but to many, that just means a piece of junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:53 am:

As for as I can relate, 'gow jobs' and jalopies are no different and belong in the same category. Any vehicle without a finished interior and isn't even close to an amateur hot rod build is, to my way of thinking, one in the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Shiny paint and a finished interior didn't win races.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Derek, what you said is true; but most, if not all, race cars back then, weren't licensed to be driven on public roads. Yes, some owners made their cars into 'speedsters', but they at least had a little bit of 'finish' to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I don't know if they cared much about absolute definitions of modified cars 80-90 years ago but I wouldn't call the car above a "speedster" as it still has a Ford body on it (26-27 cut-off Touring).

In my collection of "gow job" pictures most of the cars have license plates on them. Some were shiny, some were not. I'd bet even the shiny looking ones were painted with brushes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

I just noticed what I thought was license plates on the 2 cars on the front row of the jalopy race photo is actually the feet of the guys standing at the drivers doors of those 2 cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lang on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

I have now become the proud caretaker of this Gow Job found here on the MTFCA classified ads

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/593971.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Great car Don!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

Terry why yes even though I grew up in the 70's we all had ja lopes with plates we drive to the track race and if it didn't brake would drive them home usually few grudge drag races on the runway local home town airport we never 4 aced on the streets
Shame kids today don't have same fun miss those days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

That car is amazing, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

I like the look of the one on the bridge...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

great photos derek, it seem pretty simple to understand in my thinking, the term go job would have been as in, she really goes, or it gets up and goes, etc. probably dates to the first guy to put on a bigger carb, or strip the weight off, or what ever it took to make it "go" faster. hot rod is post war, and we know they have been hopping up cars since day one

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration