Chickasha 2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chickasha 2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Does anybody know how Chickasha is going to work this year? Can we get in on Wed? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Dan, I have not heard of any changes. The Erslands have always said "you need Wednesday to set up" So should be just show up Wednesday as usual with money in you pocket ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

If that had changed, everybody with spaces would have been told about it by now. There's nothing on the website or in the flyer about any changes on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

I spoke with a friend who I believe is in the know. He says that gates open at 8:00am Thursday and that it is a two day event, Thursday and Friday. The lot where we lined up on Wednesdays presently is a construction site . We have adjusted our schedule in line with these changes and will travel on Wed and head out Friday afternoon. This is second hand information which I believe is correct. I assume we will know more on this as the event gets closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

I thought I had heard they were going to discourage pre meet sales of the good stuff on grounds. Of course they can not stop sales while lined up to come in. However, I just heard that once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Assume for the moment that no one will be allowed onto the fairground property until 8:00am on Thursday (which may or may not be the case as I haven't a clue) the question is: Will vendors line up on the street and parking lot by the RR tracks on Wednesday? Or will they wait to arrive very early on Thursday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Or will someone else develop a swap meet somewhere close to Chickasha on this date that is vendor friendly? It is all about the money! 2 days rent is cheaper than 3 days rent.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on January 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Keep in mind it is a for profit event for the Erslands. When Joe started the meet he had the swappers and old cars paramount on his mind. Since then it has become a revenue event designed to make as much money as they can squeeze out of the vendors.

Remember when Joe was in charge it was a friendly very few rules event , he even threw in a dinner on Saturday night.

It has lost it's luster and enjoyment by adding so many rules and regulations. Look at the vendors count way down since all these new rules and regulations plain and simple. Less and less of the old time vendors with the really good brass that made this a really good swap meet. It's just another swap meet nothing special, no where near what it used to be. I give it 2 yrs tops before it disappears due to lack of interest and participation. I was at the very first one and attended every year until it became "just another" swap meet. I quit going 4 years ago because it was not worth flying 1/2 way across the country anymore.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:48 am:

I have heard what Warren heard, only thing added was the police are not going to allow parking/swapping at the RR tracks or at Walmart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:00 am:

For years I've gone only to shop and visit. It's been more than ten years since I had spaces, so I'm not up on the current practices. How has the meet become vendor-unfriendly? What are the new rules and regulations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:18 am:

as of last year still the best. there is a another reason for low vendor count and we all know what that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:40 am:

do tell charley. i am going this year. Is there something I need to know? I was there two years ago and found rust i was looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Come on guys for Gosh sakes are we really going to start bashing the meet and bring down the vendor count and people count thus meeting the demise that apparently some folks want. How many of the vendors,of which I am one, go there to not make a profit? I know I don't but it's not the driving force. Most likely the same with Mike & Sue if in fact they make this "huge profit"it really doesn't matter, I don't know what their net is and don't care with the exception I want it to be enough that it's continued. Everyone has the opportunity to start a swap meet. As far as I can tell there haven't been many takers. I really like seeing the folks that come to the swap, I mean really when do you have an opportunity to have a few hundred folks that have the same interest all in for a good time. I absolutely love seeing everyone. Some I know well, some I don't but we're all in for a good time. I'm not looking for a fight on this I'm just saying that if you want to kill it you can, if you want to make it even better you can. Last year there was enough doom and gloom about the parking that based on my participation never really appeared, Was attendance down? Yes, could been because of the weather, the parking situation or the 6 month long bashing we participated in pro or con. I don't know. I do know that I control what I can do. I for one am going to make an effort to have a great swap. Hope you will too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:05 am:

The big fall swap meet at the Marion County fairgrounds is no more. It started at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It rained one yr. and some of the vendors were located on the track itself. It was said that some of them drove spikes in the track. That was the end of the car show and swapmeet.
They moved the swapmeet to the County fairgrounds for several yrs, but it started to die. More hot Rod stuff, less old car stuff. Then last yr. it was dead.
Someone started a swapmeet south of Indy at Franklin, In at the fairgrounds. Not much. Doubt if I go back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:20 am:

I'm a newbie to the hobby and have never been to this swap meet, so take my words with a grain of solat. But in my other hobby, military vehicle restoration, the national conventions and swap meets have ALL fallen on hard times due to one thing and one thing only. And it's the same thing that allows us to converse on this froum . . .
it's the Internet.

15 yers ago the swap mets and national conventions were the primary source of locating parts. But, now it's just a click away to find parts, manuals, vehicles, advise, etc., from all over the world. As a result, the need to travel hundreds or thousands of miles at a significant expense to network and purchase parts is not the ONLY way to do so.
Many vendors sell the exact amount of sales at the shows and meets that they would if they stayed home and answered the phone or clicked on their email. Some purchasers buy parts at the show to save on shipping or to acquire large parts or vehicles that are shipping prohibitive, but that is one of the few exceptions.

The liability and legal issues associated with running a large event open to the public increases every year, so the "rules' against vendors are not picking on them at one meet or event. It's just the nature of our society.

JMO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:40 am:

I've been thinking about not going this year.

1. Getting smaller and not worth driving 1200 miles.
2. Sick and tired of watching the vultures on Wednesday jumping up on incoming trailers and buying up everything before the vendor even comes to a stop. That's just not fun and there's nothing I need that bad. What's the point?
3. I will miss the camaraderie and visiting nearby collections though...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I'm choosing to opt out of the whining and doom and gloom. I sent in my fee for a swap space the day that the 2016 flyer arrived. I will arrive at the fairgrounds on Wednesday afternoon to set up, if allowed. If not, I'll set up on Thursday morning. I will have fun and visit with old friends.

Last year, I read doom and gloom stories for several months about how the meet would suck tailpipe. But, when I arrived, it seemed to be as it's always been. We all found a place to park on Wednesday afternoon, endured the rain on Thursday and had a good time. I got rid of a pickup load of spare parts, visited with friends, and had more buying options than my budget allowed. What more could I ask for from a swap meet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I can't gripe about the Wednesday vultures because I've vulched a little myself. But there's a lot of stuff you don't see until Thursday morning after it's been unpacked. I'm with Eric. I recall last year's histrionics over all the rumored impositions that somehow failed to happen. So this year I'll drive down Wednesday afternoon and wander among the trailers to inspect and admire a lot of attractive junk and maybe even buy a relic that strikes my fancy. Wednesday evening I'll go to Temezcal and enjoy some good comida Méxicana. Thursday morning I'll make the rounds and wonder why so many people leave their stuff covered until after nine or ten o'clock, and I'll probably buy some stuff, and I'll hobnob with some of my fellow wizards, and I'll make the rounds again because each time I circulate I see something I didn't notice before. Thursday evening I'll relax at the Chinese buffet and fill my hollow leg, and Friday I'll circulate some more and probably find something I missed Thursday. Friday afternoon I'll drive home with some nice Model T stuff I didn't have before, having enjoyed a nice visit with the usual suspects and probably some T guys I haven't met in person before. For me it's still worth the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

I'll have a great time seeing old friends. I seldom buy much and primarily go for the camaraderie, but I understand things have changed, and the revenue possibilities may not be as good as they once were. I too suspect the Internet is probably the cause as much as anything.

See you there,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

The doom and gloom last year, probably kept a few from going. Both buyers and sellers. Im with John T about saying some good things about the meet and help it out, instead of bashing it to death. The weather always scares off a few more. I have been there in blizzards, rain, mud, ice storms, dust storms, below 0 temps, nice sunny days, ect. Ill be there this year. All the mentioned problems that were expected last year never showed up. Probably will be the same rumors this year. The "vultures" statements always get me. Its a swap meet feeding frenzy, each buyer to themselves. If vendors do not want to sell early, they do not have too. They keep the doors on the trailers shut, or things tarped. Some gripe about the early sales, and not having a chance to buy the "cheap" deals. Get there before daylight Wednesday like some of us do, and you stand the same chance as us. You should not expect to get good deals while sitting at McDonalds drinking your coffee and show up at 10:00 or later. What do you want us vendors to do.?? Do we need to wait till everyone has had there coffee before we sell something. If I see something on someone's trailer I need, Im going to ask about it as soon as I can. Ill be dammed if Im going to stand back and wait till someone else buys it. Im a vendor and do not mind the "vultures" If I brought it to sell, I want to sell it. I do not care when, I have sold stuff before I got the door open on the truck... So with all that ranting said, Ill be there before daylight Wednesday morning, with stuff to sell and a pocket full of, as much money as I could round up between now and then. Ill be glad to visit, and we will be camping on the spaces. Will be in spaces SL 12-13-14 in the south building. Our bedroom (air mattress on the floor) is just a row or two over from Steve Jelf's room :-). see ya'll there have fun and be safe... Donnie Brown ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Steve ,your trip sounds like what we plan to do except we'll probably eat barbecue at the barbecue place and buffet at Western Sizzler. We will see you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

heres a good thing,you dont have to wear sun glasses to keep the crome out of your eyes,like at the big swap meets.ha.ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Could it be the reason(s) this swap meet is dying out is because there are getting fewer and fewer good useable T parts available? One because there is not an endless supply and two because guys are buying the good parts and hanging them from the garage rafters like I do? In other words, hang on to the good parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

I'll probably be there and my deal is that if I can score just one desirable carburetor it will pay for the trip. I flew last year and it was a pain trying to get some things home including a bottle of wine from a guy who makes it, couldn't get it on the plane. I been going for about 10 or 12 years, wish I had made it before that.

One thing that surprises me is that I never get anything in the mail from them. I had several outside spaces for several years, gave them up when I got a chance to get spaces close to the sidewalk between the buildings, gave those to John, Jack, Mike three or four years ago, moved inside, had spaces inside for a couple years, decided I would move back out to where I had a group of people who could watch my stuff so I could shop a little, moved my stuff back outside with John and have never heard another word from them -- the Chickasha organizers. I guess I won't have a vendor space this year but John and Mike and those guys will have one where I can put up a table.

It's their deal, I'm not running it, they are. I have trouble enuff just getting rounded up to go.

I've had great years there, good years there, bad years there, scored some great deals, ate a LOT of barbecue, get to see friends I would never see anywhere else. Overall it seems worthy to me.

Planning to drive this year but we'll see how it works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I thought the event last year was vendor friendly enough, although participation was decidedly poor...no question this gets smaller with less variety each year. I'm hoping the format can be improved to breath some life back into this.. great to see some Forum personalities and do that fabulous BBQ lunch at Ray's, but come-on Erslands...these vendors can't eat the travel, lodging, and handling costs when there's nobody there spending money.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

I hope the Erslands make a million bucks. I'm know there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes and a fair amount of expense. That's probably an understatement.
I'll be there, Spaces FM1 & 2. I expect Mike Walker, Jack Daron, maybe Paul Mikeska will probably have some stuff also. I GO THERE TO HAVE FUN and I have a good time. Rarely buy anything on Wednesday, but I'm there looking. There is way more BS(not buying & selling) on Wednesday than anything. The spaces we have are as much a place to congregate, as I they are to sell anything. I see old friends, make new ones and try get rid of Model T parts that just seem to multiply on there own. Usually haul a load down and haul a different load back (hopefully less than I brought). Most years I don't make enough to cover my cost, but try to. If Wednesday bothers you don't go to the fairgrounds until Thursday, there are still plenty of deals. I think its great that this event is still going on and that you don't have to sort through rusty Camaro and Mustang parts to find T stuff. If you can't come to Chickasha with the idea of having fun then you should probably stay home and join the crowd that's on eBay and complain about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

Hey Donnie:
With all due respect, what Chicasha event did you attend last year? I came down in sheets all day Friday at the meet I was at.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

I guess Stan to.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

I'm with Eric and Rob and Steve and others that are planning on attending. And I am very much looking forward to it.

I am also very OK with those who elect to buy and sell out of their cars and trucks before the official kick off. Swap meets have for as long as I have participated (1972) been a case of "the early bird gets the part."

Last year at Chickasha I was able to find and purchase an early 1909 no rivet rear end. A real one. Tell me where to find another one that's for sale and I'll buy it also.

While swap meets aren't what they used to be, I don't understand all the grousing. The event is either appealing or it's not. If it is appealing, plan to attend. If not, plan to be somewhere else those days.

Are the naysayers who haven't attended the event in the recent past, and or are not planning on attending this year, trying to kill the meet? For what purpose?

My only question is...when will vendors and buyers start appearing at the site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

I'll respectfully disagree with you Tim....I think the parking lot sales are bad medicine when folks spend 4 days driving to see a half day show. The rare parts are the attraction whether I'm buying or looking. I won't spend a grand and 4 days of my time to hear about the block somebody put in their truck and left with before the show started. If you think that's sour grapes then so be it.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

As long as health permits.I'm going. I doubt I'll take much this year ,unless folks request something ahead of time,but I enjoy looking and seeing all the guys. I usually manage to find something I can't live without each year. To me it is therapeutic .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Is Moma Carol's still there. Used to be a good place to start your day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

I couldn't make it in 2015 due to continuing eyesight problems but I am booked this year, inside the north building. I hope to sell lots of stuff, two or three brass radiators, some carbs and lots of surplus engine stuff. All I actually need is a 1914 hand crank..... Mind you it is usually worth the 1300 mile run each way for the company. I may try to visit Model T Haven on one way or the other....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Scott. I agree that Friday was a terrible day as far as the weather went. I did not say the weather was good. It is always a crap shoot for weather in Oklahoma that time of year. The weather forecast sometimes will change daily (or hourly). You can not plan anything at Chickasha as far as weather. You just have to go and "tough it out" I always carry full Blizzard and Hurricane gear no matter what the weather man says. But I had a very good Wednesday and Thursday. I will say for all the new or unfamiliar with this meet. If I only had one or two days to go. Thursday would be the one day choice. With Wednesday as the second day choice. You need to be there at day light and spend all day. I also understand your driving that far. I am 10 hours one way. But if I was going to drive a long way to a swap meet Im unfamiliar with I would do my home work and find out what is the best day. I would love to do the Homecoming swap meet in Richmond. But since it is a one day meet, as a vendor I can not go. But someday I may go as a buyer. If I buy nothing, then Ill look at it like it was a nice vacation. As to early sales, just should have been there earlier if you missed a buy. The chances of being "first" is always the "luck of the draw" submitted with respect and I also disagree Donnie Brown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Why don't we all just keep winning and complaining until Erslands just stop putting on the meet. What would we gain? There is no swap meet that goes on year after year without changing. The Turlock swap meet in California in January hardly has any T parts any more. Ditto for the San Diego big 3 in February. I don't take any T parts there because there are so few people buying or selling T parts. So why don't we try to kill off another?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

I am with Kim, Jack, Donnie, Stan, Steve, and John. Lee and I always sell a load of good T and A parts and I always come home with plenty of good stuff. We are amassing a nice load to bring already. I would continue to go even if I could see half the stuff and half of the buddies we've made there. Viva Chickasha!!!!! Mike from Iowa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I have been twice. The first year (that I went) it was advertised as a 3 day event. We arrived Friday morning and folks began to pack up about lunch. We went back Saturday and 85% was gone. Had I been someone who drove all night after work on Friday I would have been disappointed.

There are a lot of us in our mid 50's and younger that would like to see Saturday as a main day. It would seem like it would be a larger draw which would benefit buyers and sellers alike.

Don't get me wrong, I like going but wished the first year I had known Saturday doesn't really mean Saturday. Does anyone else think the turn out would be higher if it was Friday / Saturday? Not meant to "whine" but rather offer ways to improve. I would hazard to guess that probably 50% of the hobby still work full time and better access would likely result in both stronger attendance and stronger sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

I am new to this hobby and meet. Is it worth driving from north Georgia? There are little to no good parts in my area. Looking for a fair number of items. Just asking for opinions!!tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Depends on what you're looking for. You can count on some things being there. Other parts are so scarce you're lucky to find them anywhere. Some consider it worth going hundreds of miles for the shopping and the socializing, and some don't. I suppose the way to find out is to try it once and see if you like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Tim, I would say, if you're looking for "black T" parts, you will see a large amount of good (and bad) parts available throughout the meet. If you're looking for very early, brass, hard to find items, it's best to be there Wednesday, and up at the crack of dawn Thursday to try to find things.

What no one has mentioned is, the networking may help you meet, and later source, parts from some great T people who find and sell parts throughout the year.

My two cents worth,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Gary, I do not think Saturday will ever happen again. The fair association is the main reason. It costs so much to rent the place on Saturday I do not think the Erslands will ever rent it for Saturday anymore. This is a Wednesday (set up day) Thursday and Friday meet. Because the Fair Grounds could be rented by another promotion for Saturday we are all supposed to be gone before Saturday morning. Most of any problems or changes are by the Fair Association and not the Erslands. I also hear the same rumors every year about the Railroad parking lot and no parking on the city road ect. Since they are not part of the fair grounds and not controlled by the fair grounds they "Must" say 'NO" to us using them. Then the Railroad also must say we can not use the parking lot. It is a liability issue with them. If they said OK we can use it and someone got hurt on their land, they could be sued by the money hungry lawyers. So the way it is we are really "trespassing" on their land. But they always "look the other way" and do not make anyone leave. That is the way it always has been, and will be till some butt hole sues them. Then they will put up a fence to keep us out ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Tim, Like I said above, Wednesday and Thursday are you best bets. Try to be there daylight till dark. If you do not mind camping out and roughing it a little you can stay in the buildings at night. Most campers are in the south (dirt floor) building. They are heated, and there is a bathroom and shower. They can be a little cool till every one gets set up and we get all the doors shut the first evening. We stay on our spaces and have air mattress, electric blankets, food and a microwave. There are electric outlets everywhere. There are folks (not too many) that do not have spaces and just find a corner to throw down a sleeping bag and go to sleep. That way you are there every minute you have, and you can look early till late. It saves a bunch of money. For me, I would not hesitate to drive from Georgia. But that is just me. You have to decide if it is something you want to take a chance on. The meeting of "contacts" and other T folks would be enough for me. But again, that is my personal 2 cents worth and is worth very little .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Thanks Steve. Just seeing all the parts will make it worth it. Hopefully I can get some stuff that I am not being able to locate here. Most everything's really rusted through here no matter the price and t bay isn't always what it looks like.. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Rob thanks I need 26_27 stuff and black T parts in any shape beat our swap meets in this area.Sounds like a great idea!! Road trip planned.Thanks tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 12:54 am:

Tim. post what you need. Might just prompt some one to bring it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:45 am:

Thanks Donnie. The second year we went we made sure to be there bright and early Thursday. I will say for those who have never gone, this will likely be the most T and A parts you'll find at one location without having to sort through mustang and Camaro parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:34 am:

I need a 26-7 roadster trunk lid and a 27 nice hood. And a nice set of 29 model a sedan front fenders. I am gonna go. We have swap meets but none like this with this much old stuff. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

I sometimes avoid Chicasha threads, because I have never been there. But, being an opinionated and outspoken SOB, a few things I would like to add.
Bottom line up front. WHATEVER your part in this event? Do your best to make it the best event it can be! Whether buyer, or seller, local, or long-distance? Enjoy the meet! Make it the best day for you and others that you can! If, like me, you are unable to go this year? Say "I wish I could go this year" and "Enjoy it" and live vicariously through the reports that follow as best you can.

I, personally, have been on almost every side of this sort of thing there is. Mostly, I have been buyer. Quite a few times, I have been seller. I have been the late arrival, wishing sellers stayed longer. And I have been the early bird with a flashlight looking through loads before going in the gate. I accept the realities of all of those positions.

Also. One of my longest time (since 1967), absolute BEST friends (to this very day!), put on and ran a major show and sale for many years! I got paid for a lot of those years to help on those shows. I very much enjoyed working at those shows. The days were long, some of the work hard. And I loved doing it! I certainly liked the extra money that all was spent on my cars and going on tours.
I know my friends made good money doing it. I do not know how much. I never asked, and don't need to know. Whatever they made? They did earn it. And I wish they had made even more. I would have been just as happy doing what I did for even less, and thank them for what they paid me.
These same friends also volunteered more time and effort to club events than anyone else I know!

So I have seen up close all sides of this. I have even been the disgruntled neighbor living a half mile from the rodeo-grounds or fair-grounds dealing with the litter and parking for events I had no personal interest in. And yes, I still advocated in favor of the events.

I wish I was going this year! Have fun all!
drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

I have been twice. Enjoyed both times and walked away with parts I wanted for a fair price. The only problem I have had there was once in the parking lot I got blocked in. I located an official, they located a vender that parked behind me and all was good again. I'm going again this year and expect to have fun.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration