How Many Model T's are in the middle of the Detroit river?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How Many Model T's are in the middle of the Detroit river?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

My father is 93 years old and when saw my Model T project show up in the driveway, he had some old stories.
One of which is during his childhood in Detroit, the river would freeze over and they would push an old Model T out in the middle under the Ambassador bridge and sell chances of a pool to guess when the ice would melt enough that the Model T would fall through.

I wouldn't touch anything that had been in the Detroit river, but it's an interesting story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Might be interesting to put a side scanning sonar down there just to see.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Sometimes I wonder how many cars are sitting at the bottom of Minnesota's 15000+ lakes. Or logging and mining equipment too. All my life I've heard of train cars and engines in the bottom of some of the mine pits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

By now the Model T's can't look any worse then Detroit looks today.:-(

Today they probably bet on what square block of the city will be razed next week.:-(

Google search: "America's Chernobyl"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Ed,

The car in your photo doesn't look too bad. We could probably get it running over a weekend. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

That car would most likely need a water pump!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/289466.html?1346142417

The link above is to a '26 or '27 T Touring on the bottom of Lake Mendota in Madisonm, WI.

It's an interesting read.....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Oops, make that Madison, WI.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Be nice to at least get ahold of those wheels. Look how good the spokes seem to be, and I bet they're as tight as a... well, you know what. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Jay,

Greetings from Detroit! Though I don't live within the borders of the city, I consider Detroit my home town. Thanks for your views on Detroit. We have enough challenges without people who live 2000 miles away taking pot shots at us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Jay in California
Why not plan a trip to Motown for the MTFCI convention and I will show you around. Plan an extra week as the Dearborn Convention is so booked up that they did not include a trip to the Henry Ford Museum! Lots and lots of car stuff. Yes Detroit has issues (as do all major Cities) but it has been a pretty nice place to live the last 40 years.
Cheap shots are easy, lets get together for something positive.

Jon Crane, City Planner/attorney

PS Detroit has the world's greatest abundance of fresh water and it is not expected to fall into the Pacific anytime soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Yeah! Jay! Why don't ya slam something closer to home! I hear Bakersfield ain't that great. Well, I mean it might not be Detroit but it's still just Bakersfield!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Isn't anyone going to comment on that huge fish in
the background? Would make a T-riffic meal. I agree with Jerry and Jon.
No Boston cooler for Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Cheer up Jerry. At least you don't reside in Flint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Norman, that appears to be a pretty good size fish for sure. Notice the pointed snout and dorsal fin. I don't think that your typical bass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Yup, No soup for me!

Sorry if I sounded insensitive. It's a crying shame to see what's become of a once fabulous city.

I believe It's safe to say Detroit has fallen victim to a half-century of one-party “progressive” rule.

It seems our fearless leader was right when he said,

“Elections have consequences.”

Hopefully Jon & Jerry the city will overcome it's issues. Sorry for being to "Trump-esk" for ya all!:-)

I guess I'll be getting less Christmas cards next year after I post this.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

"....I wouldn't touch anything that had been in the Detroit river..."

I believe that the Savannah River in Georgia is one of the top 5 or top 8 most polluted rivers in the country. The Detroit River, while yes it is polluted (as are most rivers), is somewhere down in the 40's. I would be more concerned about something that had come out of the Savannah River in Georgia, than the Detroit River in Michigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I live a couple miles east of the Mississippi. I fish just south of the Blanchard Dam outside of Little Falls Minnesota. I've never concerned myself when eating fish out of The Ole Miss!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I started with worse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I have to wonder what would happen if one of these under water photos or sonar scans showed two levers sticking up from the floorboards. As for Detroit, I love it there and have a great time whenever I go. I think I heard L.A. has some not so great areas. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Amazing how some people just go around looking for an insult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

For those outside of Michigan my reference to Flint, MI above is in regards to the fiasco in the "cost saving" based decision to change the cities water source from the Detroit water system to the Flint river. The result was severe lead contamination in the city's drinking water. Many have been affected especially kids. I won't get into politics but it's not looking good for the Gov. Google a Flint or Detroit news media and decide for yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:59 am:

Where is Michael Moore on the lead issue. Flint is his hometown!

Sounds like a good story for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Michael Moore is already making a movie on the
issue. Google CNN last week. Moore is taking the
lead on lead. Ask Jerry Van about what crawled out
of the river during our tour of Harsen's Island last
summer. (Hint... She brought two body guards with her.) Something in the water!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Jay,

No problem. I'll go along 100% with your statement, "It's a crying shame to see what's become of a once fabulous city."

Things are getting better here. It takes time and a positive attitude. (And politicians who care)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:02 am:

When I made my initial post, my reference to the Detroit River was a little biased. Born and raised in Dearborn, MI we were led to believe that the suburbs were the promised land and the inner city was Dantes Inferno.
A trip to Tiger Stadium, Boblo Island, Windsor, etc., were 50 percent excitement and 50 percent fear.
But Dearborn, like a lot of cities, not just in MI, has changed from it's once position as a segregated, all white commnity, a real Ford company town, to what is now the population center for Shehite Muslums in America.

I always consider MI my home and refer to it as a nice place to be from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Robert,

I'm rarely ever fearful in Detroit... but I am always careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

That fish in the background could very well be a Sturgeon as the Detroit River is one of few rivers that still has them!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, many km SW of Dearborn on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:35 am:

A coworker claims he sent a sixties VW thru the ice near Grosse Isle back in his wild youth.

My dad told me that rum runners would drive across the ice with their doors open, just in case. There's probably some bottles down there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:02 am:

I don't think anyone ever claimed the photo above was taken from the Detroit river, did they? And I agree with Jerry; Detroit is definitely on the rebound thanks to some prominent businessmen and politicians who care. I've seen more revitalization of historic districts in the past three years that are really encouraging. And they are really working over the Woodward Ave. area with the brand new (and totally awesome!) Red Wings arena slated to open next year. I don't know exactly how many city blocks of formerly run down and decrepit buildings that were razed and are now part of that expansion, but I can't wait so see it when it's done. They are even installing tracks down the center of Woodward for an electric rail car! Pretty cool and exciting stuff if you ask me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:53 am:

The first monorail in downtown Detroit we used to call the Mugger Mover. I think Coleman Young was the mayor at that time.
Pistons used to play at Cobo Hall downtown.
We used to go to the Rotunda to see the new Ford cars before it burned down. We could see the orange glow in the night sky when they dumped the slag from the Rouge Assembly plant.
When the riots hit in 1967, we thought Dearborn was going to get wiped out, but there was just some downtown urban development out of that.
And then the Tigers won the world series in 68 and all was right with the world for a 14 year old teenager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Detroit is a very old city who's beginning goes back to the early 1700's. It's history and place in the forming of America is as significant as the history of such cities as Philadelphia and New York. A study of Detroit's history prior to it becoming such an industrial giant reveals its importance during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Almost as early into the 1700's as you can get Michael. Detroit was founded in 1701.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Detroit is being reborn, again. Picture was taken in the thirties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I remember reading about some of the Revolutionary War history in a book called "The Long Knives". It was written about William Clark's brother, George Rogers Clark and the battles with the British and the Indians in the late 1770's. Some of the hardships he put his troop through on their way from Fort Pitt to Detroit and how important Detroit was as a Northwest post. It's been 40 years since I read the book but I still have it and feel I might sit down with it again. And some might find it hard to believe but some of the eating in Detroit is the best. I remember several times, traveling from the Ford plant up to Ten Mile Road and getting my fill of some fantastic Japanese cuisine. :-) Mmmmmmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Jay, I gotta agree with Jerry. Although I, too, don't live within Detroit's borders (I live about a mile from Jerry), I was born within the borders.

Yes, Detroit has gone through some pretty bad times. But, the city is making an amazing comeback with a reinvigorated downtown: new restaurants, shopping areas, city square (Campus Martius), sports arena, revamped Cobo center, repurposed buildings into apartments, new apartments and on and on.

Lots and lots of activities in downtown, too. And there are walking and biking paths along the river front and other areas. Suburbanites come into the downtown area for many of the events and concerts. Many young folks are moving back into the city. There are places that, to be honest, you wouldn't have gone into a year or two ago but, today, are perfectly safe. (ANY large city has such areas.)

As a life-long Detroit area resident, I am surprised and pleased to see the turn-around happening here. Frankly, I didn't think Detroit could ever come back. Never underestimate the resiliency of Detroit area residents!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Oh, one more thing: I wonder how many old cars and trucks are at the bottom of the Detroit River, too. During Prohibition, when the River froze over, bootleggers would drive across from Windsor, Canada to Detroit. I gotta believe more than a few went through the ice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 03:13 am:

Back in the '50's, '60's, and '70's, I had 3 Uncles and their families that lived in the Detroit area. All 3 worked for Great Lakes Steel. I spent many happy weeks there in that time frame visiting everyone when we would go up there for vacation in the summer. So many things to do and see. Rode the BobLo Boats, went to the Henry Ford Museum(still have a souvenir Model T hubcap that my folks bought for me at the museum in '64), went to the Rotunda when the new '56 Fords were on display, went on the Ford plant tour in '64, etc. Just driving around the downtown area was an awesome thing for this small town boy. It was an amazing place back then. Last time I was there was in '69 when I was in Chinook School at Ft. Eustis VA. I flew up there for a long weekend while my folks were there. I'm glad it is making a comeback, hope it gets back to its former glory. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Robert Brough I was a 12 year old boy from around St. Louis in '68. It took me a while to get over the World Series. :-).

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Herb. . .

If only Lou Brock had slid. Things may have been different. The world revolves around seemingly insignficant moments.

Who was the radio announcer for the Cardinals at that time? Vin Scully? We had the great Ernie Harwell and I can still hear the calls in my mind. I think Al Kaline made $100,000 that year, and was the highest paid Tiger. Have salaries gone up any over the past 45 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Yeah, fond memories of Ernie Harwell. That got me to thinking of the beloved announcer for the University of Michigan football team who had a horn off a WWII jeep that he sounded each time Michigan scored. Dang CRS. I can't remember his name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:03 am:

That would be the famous Bob Ufer! I used to love listening to Michigan football on the radio when I was younger, just to hear how animated Bob would get, especially when he went nuts on that horn! I think that horn actually came off of Gen. Patton's jeep if I'm not mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Bill, Thanks. I'd heard the horn came off of Patton's jeep. It was a very sad occasion for Michigan fans when Bob passed. One of a kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

i would like to know whats in the river,not football!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Ice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Lead, salt, arsenic, bodies, broken glass, snails, guns, knives, drugs, algae, zebra mussels, excretion. Want more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:45 am:

So with the Flint River in the news and the announcement of its corrosive qualities...safe to say there are not Model T's to be found at the bottom.

Even in the 21st century - Flushing, Mich, has become the center of attention recently, after not one, but two cars, plunged into the Flint River in less than a week.
http://www.abc12.com/home/headlines/What-Can-Be-Done-to-Keep-Cars-Out-of-the-Fli nt-River-297445891.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration