Wooden Shoes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wooden Shoes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I pulled the wheel off of a chassis I have had for a while and found this. Must be Dutch brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Photo to come maybe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

try this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

???????? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Beat me to it, Jay.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

oh well forget it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Just received an e-mail from Toon Boer in Klaaswaal, Holland (a contributor to the forum). With his recent changeover to Windows 10, he is having some trouble posting pictures and asked if I would add this one to the thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Now that is a cool wheel block! Leave it to Toon to think of that, even with the release cord.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Dick, do you wear your wooden shoes or are they just decoration?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Stephen, I wore them for yard work and also in snow when I lived in Holland. Once I moved here, I continued to wear them some of the time for yard work. Now, I don't do yard work any more so they are mainly decoration. When our kids were growing up, they would put out their wooden shoes ("klompen," in Dutch) on December 5th and Sint Nicolaas would leave them candy and gifts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Iss you making da yoke uut uff mine choos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Klompen Dancers at the Tulip Festival, Holland, Michigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Still hoping to see Tom's wooden brake shoes... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

I have 2 wooden shoes,I guess someone bought a pair and my grandmal kept 1 and my mother kept the other.1 is cleaner looking than the other due to poor storage.They have to be at least 60 years old or older. Are they not a little uncomfortable being they they don't flex?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Mack, I was taught that you buy them large enough that you can wear two pairs of woolen socks under them. They really aren't that uncomfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Buy them!! Dam, I was given a lump of wood and pocket knife and told, if wont shoes boy 'start a'whittle'n'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:13 am:

Van Ekeren... Not so surprising.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:58 am:

I love this website!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:46 am:

Me too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Dutch style wooden shoes were used over here too, up until about a hundred years ago. Since then only the bottom is wood. Leather over the foot makes them more comfortable and easier to make, I didn't use much of anything else in summertime during the 70's when they were in vogue.. Some of my old mopeds didn't have good brakes, so my wooden shoes were occasionally used as brake shoes too - against the asphalt :-)

df

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Which brings us to the subject of burlap underwear ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Eeeewwww!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Just the idea makes me itch.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:37 am:

TRUE thread drift... (into burlap)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:26 am:

This thread reminded me of something I saw in a museum in Holland once. Smugglers along the Dutch-Belgian border carved wooden shoes that left a reversed footprint. If they walked through snow, it looked like they were walking in the opposite direction from what they really were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Now, THAT is interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Wow Dick, I didn't know the Dutch invented the "moon-walk".:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration