Upholstery Springs from Snyder's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Upholstery Springs from Snyder's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Wells on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

I purchased new upholstery springs from Snyder's for my 23 touring. The seat cushion springs have a u shaped channel at the bottom to hold the edge wire of the seat material. How do you crimp this piece. I am assuming you crimp it closed after you put the edge wire from the upholstery in the channel Does it take a special crimping tool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Curtis-
I got mine at Harbor Freight.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Vise grips work well. That what I have used on the 20+ springs that I have upholstered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

You will need to compress the springs a bit when putting the new cover on. That helps keep it taught and wrinkle free. I found crimping the channel a challenge. Thank goodness it is not visible when in place! I really wonder how the factory did such a nice even job of crimping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Maybe this photo shows a hint or two. The spring is resting on a fixture, with a platen above that squishes the upholstery onto the spring. There is likely a tool on that air device that aligns the upholstery side panel into the gap of the channel, and then crimps it closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:22 am:

I just got done putting the seat covers on the seat springs of my 24. I bought the interior from Classtique. There are different ways to compress the springs. The easiest I found is to lay out the upholstery, set the springs on it, and take two lengths of 2x2, lay them across the springs and use a threaded rod on each end of the 2x2, drill four holes in the bench to match the holes in the 2x2,insert threaded rod with nuts and flat washers on each end. Tighten down to compress. Here is the result. Nice tight fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:23 am:

The clamping grips, pliers or whatever you want to call them work well that Keith posted the picture of.
I worked in a maintenance shop for many years and I used them pretty often for bending over metal on duct work and any kind of sheet metal fabrication.
I used them on new seat springs and cover on my 21 Touring.

I also used some medium sized wide jawed pliers. I tried to keep the bent over seams a smooth as I could to make a nice edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:52 am:

There is no wire around the bottom of the skirt. They used common welt. I made a fixture similar to what Dan mentions above out of 3/4" plywood, and two 2 X 4's to lay across the bottom. I used carriage bolts of the proper length, and pliers like above, but mine were vise-grips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:44 am:

I had my wife stand on board set across the springs turned upside down on the floor whilst I stretched the covering and crimped it to the springs using a pair of hog ring pliers...worked just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:21 am:

If Classtique is going to be at Chickasha they usually have a demonstration of how they do their cover installations. Its really helpful to watch how they do it. It was for me anyway.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration