Improved car battery trap door and floor panel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Improved car battery trap door and floor panel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Does anyone know what part number 48108 battery trap door retainer is? Is it the piece of metal welded to support the trap door in front from falling down? Or is it a clip of some sort to prevent the battery trap door from popping up if one hits a large bump!

It appears that the pick up truck battery trap door was made of metal. That is were my problem starts.

Does anyone know what material the battery trap door was made from for the roadster with a turtle deck? I have seen a lot of wood ones shown on the forum. And if it is wood should it have a hole for a finger to lift it out of the opening? The body parts lists has a door (battery trap) assembly as 48110ARX for 1926/1927 and part number 48110BX for 1927 only. What is the difference and what material are they made of? I told a fellow model T member it should be metal, but for the turtle deck roadster now, I am not so sure!

The metal floor panel for the turtle deck is listed as S145WH on page 203 of Langs 2015 catalog. It appears in the picture to have two embossed strips (front to back) and an embossing along the edge. My turtle deck floor panel has some additional embossing in the metal at various angles. Does the original floor pan have an embossing from the lower right side radius of the battery trap door going at an angle to the right and end near the right side on the center hump panel (where the rear spring/frame protrudes into the floor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Arnie, I have misplaced my 26-27 Body Parts book, so I can't look up part # 48108, but because it is called a battery trap door retainer, I would bet that it is the small metal clip about 2" long and about 1" wide, as I remember. My dimensions are probably off. It is attached to the trunk floor with a single rivet near one end and when the retainer is pivoted on the rivet, it holds (or releases), the wooden battery trap or access door (various part #'s depending on body style) to the steel trunk floor (once again, various part #'s depending on body style). The pickup battery door, being part of the pickup bed floor is the only one made of metal that I am aware of. I do not find 48108 in Lang's or Snyder's catalogs. When replacing the trunk floor panel in a coupe or roadster, this part must be transferred and remounted if one is available. The wooden battery door, does have a finger hole for lifting it. I notice that Lang's lists the battery trap door for 1920-25, but not for 26-27, If true, and you can supply them with at tracing or piece of cardboard, cut to your floor pan's battery access shape, they could probably forward it to their floorboard supplier for a pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Not sure if this helps. This is the old trunk floor from my early "26 roadster, built November '25. The battery door was originally of wood with a finger hole. I think you can see where the original embossing was from the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Another view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Thanks Terry and Will for your fast response. Perhaps the reproduction floor pans do not have that embossing you circled in your picture. I will tell my friend that the battery trap door was probably made of wood with a finger hole for lifting.

Thanks,

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

There are other aspects of the reproduction floor that are not like the original as well. The depressed area that retains the wooden door is a separate piece in the reproduction that is spot welded into place where the original is formed from one piece of steel. I have the original wood door, but I don't have a picture of it as the car is in storage and unavailable until spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Arnie, I failed to mention that there are many documented changes during 26-27 production of coupe bodies. For example, one involved eliminating the wood used around the rear window. Another was a redesign of the coupe trunk floor. The floor pan that Howell's makes, and I believe is the only one currently from vendors, is a copy of a 26 coupe trunk floor pan. The original floor that I removed from my 27 coupe had additional ribbing, or at least ribbing in places not found on the one Howell makes. I gave Howell my original 27 floor pan at Chickasha, two years ago so he could see the differences and make the correct 27 pan in the future, if he chose to. To this date, I don't guess he has. The 26 trunk floor pan can be easily modified to fit in a 27 body which I chose to do, since I don't plan on having the car judged. Only a skillful trained eye would notice, anyway.

I only mention this because I'll bet Ford made sheet metal changes to roadsters and other body styles during 26-27 production like they did on the coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Terry:

Thanks, that gives us other potential areas to look for changes within the 1926/1927. Perhaps Donnie Brown already knows of these changes and has them documented. If he reads this perhaps he can give us a heads up on the floor area changes in the roadster turtle deck!

What were the changes in the coupe panel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

bmp

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration