Dating the car: My car's firewall plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Dating the car: My car's firewall plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Langrish on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Can anyone please help me interpret this 5" x 1.1" thin formed metal plate mounted to the firewall of my nominal 1914 touring car. It is located to the left of and above the steering column. The car does not have the original engine.
The stamped numbering is 814205013

Model T serial number plate

Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

The body number on my 14 touring is stamped under the front seat and is 8 14406xx which is a very similar format to your plate. I suspect it is the month, year and serial number installed by the body manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Art-
It is a body number and I believe it was originally on the seat frame. The first digits, 8 14 I think indicate the BODY was build August 1914. What is the serial number of the car?

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Thanks, Mark. I was beginning to think it was an Australian car...

Art-
There is some more information here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/73672.html?1227817825

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Langrish on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

My thanks to all of you for the quick response with excellent information.
I replaced the firewall 3 years ago(still have the old one) and happily had not drilled holes in the new one for this plate. I will install it on top of the seat riser.
Keith: I used to live in Damascus, just south of you in the early 1970's. A great place to be.
Art, College Station, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Art-
The serial number you sent to me was made April 20, 1914.

I believe the first number is a 3 and not an 8 and the body was made in March.

I don't remember which body maker used that type of tag. Is there any letter on the front seat heel panel?

The candle is still in Damascus, and the 76 station there always has the best gas price around.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:39 am:

Keith, expand the picture of the tag. The first number is clearly an 8, compare it to the last number which is a 3. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration