How do you prop open your hood?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do you prop open your hood?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

I don't like the idea of just flopping the hood all the way over. Looking for ideas to hold it open without doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Hi Gary,

I don't have a clue. I have been around Model Ts since 1967 and I have Never seen Anyone prop open a hood, just flop it open. Perhaps someone has an idea and good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

I always thought 'flopping it open' was the way to do it. Been doing it that way since the late 50's.
I assume you want to open it up without scratching the paint or??
Are you referring to the picture you have on your profile page?

Is the guy using his head to hold his hood open?
That is a new one on me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

The hood on my '23 Touring rests very nicely on the webbing of the cowl and radiator shroud when open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Gary I just looked at the MTFCI judging standards page and the car shown has its hood open and in a upright position. Maybe that way would work as the hood is not flopped all the way over. Looks like it may be held up some way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

You could solder a hook on to the top of the radiator.
hood catch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

John, Yeah, avoiding scratching the paint is one of the reasons. The guy under the hood in my profile is my grand dad. Didn't think of that picture but looks like gramps had his own way of opening the hood.

Tom, That is kind of what I had in mind.

I have an idea I might try that won't modify any part of the car. Even though it is a Hack so some license is allowed. If it works I'll post it later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Gary,
The only modification done is soldering a piece of copper shaped like the letter J to the top of the radiator which could easily be reversed. I could see how a modification like this might result in point deduction on a judged car. I'd like to see your idea, even if it doesn't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

I flop it over carefully on my 27 but I bought a new stainless hood prop for my 30 model A. But its just a couple rods that clip on under the A hood. I have never seen one for a T but my car still needs lots of parts to get to go for a Ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Most just gently fold the hood over, makes it easy.

If you do 'prop' the hood on the webbing, look out for heavy winds, or someone bumping the T. Seen a few hoods fly down and cause paint trouble.

That clip on the radiator is neat trick :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

I take 2 pieces of hanger wire and bend one end of each into a loop around the radiator support rod. The other ends are hooked. When I raise the hood, I reach underneath for the appropriate wire and hook the end onto the bottom edge of the hood. I also have a piece of slit, black, vinyl hose slid over the edge of the hood to prevent scratches and rattles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Easy, on pre improved models, just take if off. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Tom, I like the idea but for some reason my hood won't rest on the radiator tank. It may be because my hood former is home made, remember it's a Hack, and I got things a little tight.

Jerry, I've done similar with a length of strap going over the radiator support rod, through the hood handle and back with a simple wire piece connecting the ends. I might try your idea except I'd slip a piece of tubing over the wire ends before making the hooks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

My hood came with leather corners installed. It sits nicely on the radiator tank and does not slip. For larger jobs I remove it completely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

I'm thinking out loud here, don't have mine up and running yet but a small leather or web canvas strap and buckle looped around the hood suppport rod and coming through one of the footman loops or handles on the side of the hood?

Also, to prevent rattles, the military was big on using strips of web canvas, either straight up or soaked in tar. Used to run a strip between every body panel that was metal on metal to prevent squeeking. I am thinking of running a strip of web canvas along the top of the wood hood shelt to have the hood latch down on something with a little cushion to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

There is no strap on the front of the center hood hinge so it can rise up and cause the hood to fall over. I just lay the open side carefully on the other side being sure the hinge does not come out of the socket in the radiator. Propping it up would make it much easier to fall over especially if the car is not level or a wind might be blowing.

The Model A has a strap which goes over the hood hinge and also had tabs on the corners of the radiator for the front edge of the hood. So supporting it in a raised position is no problem with the A.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Well, for now at least, I decided to follow the KISS approach and use minimal engineering. To use my prop I insert the L end through the hood handle mounting hole from the back side then drop the hook end over the radiator support rod. Inserting the prop through the handle hole prevents it from slipping off. Part of my reason for doing this is my hood corner hits my wood fire wall when I flop the hood all the way over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

I used the little holes in the corners of the radiator to put these nuts and bolts in. Two nuts hold the bolt in place and give the leather corner of the hood something to sit on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lynn Meeks - Centerville, Georgia on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

I made a prop for my 27. It attaches to the radiator center support bolt.12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lynn Meeks - Centerville, Georgia on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Lynn, that's a pretty slick gig you have there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:37 am:

I once saw a T that had 2 bicycle kick stands fastened to the firewall for use as hood props. That was quite a few years ago and my memory is kinda fuzzy on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Lynn,

You could probably sell a few of those on here if you made up a batch. That is a really nice setup and the script looks beautiful on it. Depending on the price, I'd definitely buy a couple (maybe more).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

If you come up with an all black version that fits and works on a on a brass car I'd definitely buy one too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Just for this purpose, a friend of mine carries a soft terry towelling cloth in the car and lays it down between the closed and opening sides.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Finally got what I was looking for. I didn't really like the rod with the hook as I needed a place to put it when not in use and required some fumbling around to get it in place. My hack is built on supposedly a 24 frame with the metal firewall and a mounting hole just under the hood flange. I'd used a carriage bolt to connect the wood firewall to the metal one and I thought if I lengthened it I could use it to mount a prop for the hood. What I came up with is quick and easy to use, out of the way and could almost be period correct.

I've since painted the prop black. There are two jam nuts one side of the assembly and a nylon locking nut on the end. The two leather washers are to provide friction to hold the prop in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Gary - Really nice job! I like the simplicity and I'm thinking that one way or another, it's such a nice design that (one way or another) I wouldn't be surprised to see a similarly designed item in the major Model T Parts suppliers catalogs! I did have one thought though,....would it make sense to locate the two jam nuts on the outside for easier access for adjusting with two end wrenches? I'm thinking that over time, as the leather ages, wears and compresses, an occasional adjustment might be necessary to maintain the right amount of friction. Just a thought,....again, great idea, design and workmanship, using mostly common hardware items,....and thanks for sharing with great photos,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Thanks Harold. I am prone to keeping things design simple if I can. My use of a nylon lock nut on the end was so I could tighten things up a bit if needed. The locknuts on the inside should never have to be moved. I'd thought of using a castle nut with a cotter pin on the end just for fun though. Maybe if I fancy up the prop a bit I may do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Ya know, I saw something at the HME and thought it was really slick...looked homemade but I suppose it could've been store bought too.

This guy had a 26 roadster pickup with a Rajo. But the hood prop was pretty fancy...it bolts to the firewall and to some flanges he had welded onto his radiator shell. You can see the prop with the spring on it about mid way along that silver rod. The nice thing was that when he wanted to put the hood down, he just lifted his hood and twisted the "V" hook rod down and then latched his hood down. I thought it was really kind of neat looking.

Of course this is far more elaborate than Gary's idea...I like Gary's better...wonder if I can work an "S" curve into it, that way it would look sort of 20's ish. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration