Judging standards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Judging standards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald J. Roberts - Hershey, PA on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Do safety items like Texas T Brakes or turn signals have any repercussions when your car is judged at car shows? What items are "Point Neutral" in the race to win for best in show?, or qualifying for "Less than X number of modifications"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

In principle, MTFCI does not deduct for safety related items.

The MTFCI judging guidelines are available on their website, go to http://www.modelt.org/ and follow the drop downs shown in this screen shot:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Gerald,
The MTFCI allows "period correct" safety items with no point deductions at MTFCI sanctions shows. There are no "best of show" or 1st or 2nd place awards. All cars are judged against a "standard" which is identified in the MTFCI Judging Guidelines.

If there are three cars that attain 95-100% of the total points, then ALL three cars earn a "Gold" award. If a car ears 90-94% of the total point, the car ears a Silver Award. Cars DO NOT compete against one another, but are only judged to the standard identified in the guidelines.

I hope this clarifies your question, and if you have any additional questions, you can contact me at chiefjudge@modelt.org.

Thanks Russ Furstnow, MTFCI Chief Judge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

It might boil down to who is putting on the show. Model T's only at a national event or other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

A lot of my fellow club members seem to worry a lot about how correct their cars are.
I have numbers of model T Fords and enjoy driving them. Some of my cars are period correct, some are loaded with accessories. They are all fun to drive. I avoid those judging events and do not enter any of them.
Tours are the most IMPORTANT event to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Different strokes for different folks. Some enjoy the challenge of getting their cars as close as possible to how they came from the factory. Some like to enter judging for awards, and some don't care about that. Many are willing to make various "upgrades" which others see as downgrades. Some do a little of that, and some do so much of it that the results provide others an opportunity to exercise their talents for ridicule. None of it matters, as long as no original parts are ruined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Thank you Russ Furstnow for the clarification! And thank you for all you do for so many clubs.
I think Willie C and Steve J both hit an important point well. There is room in this hobby for many variations on preserving our history. I lean toward "era correct", but that is me. I like both as the factory built them, and after-market with accessories, speedsters, or non-speedsters.
Whatever an individual's focus, I prefer cars be driven and seen. That benefits everyone more.
As long as they drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Gerald -- As Russ stated, the MTFCI allows "period correct" aftermarket safety items with no point deductions. Disc brakes and turn signals would not be considered period correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Turn signals ARE period correct, you just have to look at the correct period. These are not mine, but I am putting together an Arrow system with period correct lamps. Check patent number: 1,489,087

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I have a period correct turn signal unit on our '26 Roadster Pickup. It has stamped on the bottom of the main unit "Patented December 5, 1917, plus other later dates. It works very well and even has a 4 way flasher feature in it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Hi Keith,

Would you please post pictures of your installation? Inquiring minds would like to see your handiwork.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Gerald,
Different shows do different things. The AACA that does the Hershey show each Oct, judges the cars "as they came from the factory." For example, You'll need to remove your winged motormeter radiator cap and replace it with an original type, you'll also lose points for an outside oil line. Unless your license plate is perfect, you better remove it. Get a copy of a judging sheet covering the show you plan to attend. Most local shows are more dependent on shiny and pretty rather than correct. If you plan on showing much, I'd suggest you become thick skinned, and approach each as an opportunity to let people see and appreciate your car and learn more about it--many have never seen a T in person. Many people will give you constructive criticism, and, a lot of it may be wrong! Also, many local shows grab folks to judge that know nothing about judging cars. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

The AACA doesn't penalize for neatly installed turn signals, auxiliary brakes that are bolted on (I doubt you'd get away with discs), or electric starters on cars that didn't have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Good thing I'm not a judge. I'd be removing your rear axle plug and aiming an inspection camera at your thrust washers. Gold instead of gray would be a five percent reduction. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Bill, I have not yet mastered doing pictures on the Forum, but send me your email address and I'll send some pics to you.

Keith cgumbinger at att dot net

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration