Is there a tap and die so to speak for the hub cap?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is there a tap and die so to speak for the hub cap?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:41 am:

I think the hub is original but the new repo caps do not screw on two of the hubs. Any suggestions?

If it matters, it is a brass hub cap.

I tried switching one cap to the other hub and it did not work. Still not sure if it is the hub or the cap or the union of the two.

I think the threads are stripped one of the hubs......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:47 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/327556.html?1355533515

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/588179.html?1448241837

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/115855.html?1259786172

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Robert..Snyders has a thread chaser for the hubs, a bit expensive. Part # T-2815-T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Check your hubs, if any of the threads on the hubs look flat you may need to dress them with a small triangle file or a thread file to make the new hub caps fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:44 am:

good suggestions, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:01 am:

A thread file is my first choice - can be used everywhere and is relatively cheap.

Maybe a rear wheel puller also can act a little like a thread chaser if you can get it on the hub thread, clamp it as tight as it can be while still being able to unscrew it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I've had some success with taking some steel wool or a nylon scrungy thing and wiping the outer threads of the hub and the inner threads of the cap.
If there is any crud, rust, dry paint, old grease, etc., it might be enough to cause a jump in the threading.
Make sure both male and female threads are clean, maybe touch them up with a file and see what you get.
I've also taken a small finishing nail and started it on the threads and try to run it around by hand and see where it jumps off.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I think there is currently one for auction on Ebay. I saw it very recently. Probably cheaper than a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:47 am:

If you're very lucky and have the dough, you may get one of these. But I've been looking for years with no luck.

There's a modern version that comes with cutters for a variety of threads, also not cheap.

Another choice is the thread file. Much less costly but more work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:51 am:

never thought of ebay. thanks for the tip. I have had this problem several times over the years. It might be worth buying one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

never thought of ebay. thanks for the tip. I have had this problem several times over the years. It might be worth buying one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

I bought the hub cap chaser from Snyder's. I had to use a small triangle file on the first 5 threads to get the chaser to start. The brass cap screwed on, but it was tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

If you are a bit creative? You can build your own.

I was in a rush, and did a sloppy job. But what I did was cut/fracture a die of appropriate thread. Braze the pieces to a shaped piece of strap steel, and stiffen it welded to pieces of round stock.
Ugly, but it works nice.
I have toyed with the idea of making something similar for the inside of the hubcaps, but find I rarely needed one. The simpler thing to do if you do need one for a hubcap, is find a cracked hub. Then cut a few cross cuts through the hub's threads with a common hacksaw. That should be able to clean up most hubcaps if they are marginal.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

There's a hub thread die on ebay I believes it's mark from model t haven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Robert I sent you a PM.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration