Clutch fingers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch fingers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Thinking about replacing the pins that hold the clutch fingers to the driving plate. Looks like a lot of slop in the fingers. Is is worth the trouble?
Do folks enlarge the holes and use oversize pins, use better fingers or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Richard,

It's not necessary as long as there is no danger of actual breakage or if the adjusters can't take up the slop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Probably should have said, "... and the adjusters can take up the slop."

You probably knew what I meant...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:35 am:

If there is so much slop there's a risk the clutch finger can move so much to the side so it misses its pin on the clutch ring, then repair might be needed. I've bought a set of rivets from a vendor since they were cheap, but haven't had any need for them -yet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Good point Roger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:14 am:

The fingers are loose enough so that the set screws move side to side. They still hit the pins on the push ring but can slide to the side so the contact is not centered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Well, it's not a Bugatti.. If the holes in the driving plate has become oval, then there might be a problem - but if the fingers just move a little side to side but always keep the pressure on the push ring, then I think it'll work fine :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

The 26-27 driving plates I have all have the same problem more or less. The earlier ones do not. A little movement, but not as much. I've decided to leave it be since it seems to be the nature of the beast.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration