OT Musings drom growing up in Dearborn, MI

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Musings drom growing up in Dearborn, MI
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:20 am:

A recent thread on the Detroit river has got me thinking about my being born and raised in Dearborn, MI in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

We all know that Dearborn is corporate headquarters for Ford Motor Company. Corporate headquarters building was refered to as "the glass house" because of it's green tinted almost 100 percent glass windo exterior.

Three High Schools in Dearborn at the time. Dearborn High, Fordson and Edsel Ford. The community college was Henry Ford Comminity College. Our police cars were LTD's and our high school had it's own drivers training course, complete with traffic lights and stop signs and a large control tower for the instructors to sit in and control the traffic flow. Our donated drivers ed cars were Mavericks and Galaxie 500's.

Orville Hubbard was our mayor for 45 years and the suburb was segregated all the way up to at least 1972 when I graduated from Edsel Ford HS and moved away to Ann Arbor and the U of M.

I remember the auto companies rotating who would go on strike when the UAW contracts came up and if your parent worked at one of the striking auto plants, you were eligible for free lunch at school and no fees for shop class, band, etc. My father worked at Burroughs Corporation (adding machines and early computers before merging with Sperry Rand and becoming Unysiss, so I didn't have to go through the auto strike protocol.

I worked summers as an actors apprentice at the Ford Theater in the Henry Ford Museum and had access to all the behind the scenes and storage rooms at both the museum and Greenfield Village. I think the one room schoolhouse in GV actually had classes and students at that time. And our HS prom was held at the hall at the museum. And the "lovers lane" was the parking lot over at Ford Field. (don't aske me how I know)
But certainly a company town in every sense of the term.

All in all, a good place to be from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Robert,

Long before the LTD police cars, they were Ford manufactured Lincoln phaetons. There is a 1925? example currently on display at the Gilmore Museum. A former Detroit police chief "acquired" it when it went out of service. His son then owned it and drove it extensively on antique car tours before it's donation to Gilmore.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration