Zinc plated door latch lever on closed cars.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Zinc plated door latch lever on closed cars.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Has anyone ever noticed that in Ford "Press" photos the inside door lever itself appears "silver" in color. I'm not talking about the nickel plated knob, just the lever itself. I've seen this on a number of 24-25 closed cars in Press photos, like the Fordor pictured below. What are your thoughts? Zinc??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Al the ones I have are either Aluminum or nickeled (over brass).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

The rear one looks like it has an insert. Black and silver can reflect similarly in B & W.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

I believe Charles is talking about the inside door handle. I do not know what type of plating it would take, but in the photo it does appear to be something other than black.
25 fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

That's a steel post, they are nickel plated on my 24 Fordor about two inches.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:07 am:

Tom and Rick..That's what I was talking about. You see this in the early photos. I think all 24-25 closed cars featured this plating when new, at least at some point.
It's something you just don't see to often now days and don't hear it mentioned either. Rick nice to hear you still have some plating left.

I'm sure the latch unit is all riveted together, otherwise I would have the latch post "bars" re plated. Not sure if it was left unpolished or polished.

Charles

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 02:38 am:

Charles,
You might be able to use the Caswell's nickel brush plating kit to brush plate the lever without taking the latch apart. Cleanliness is critical, and if you heat the plating solution, about 140 or so, I find it plates easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 02:42 am:

Not probably popular with most here, but I cut a strip of the correct thickness stainless steel, shaped it and welded a stainless steel bolt to the top end that matched the screw on knob.
I cut the old lever arm off below the garnish level and MIG welded the new stainless lever arm on.
The MIG wire can be the mild steel variety as the weld can not be seen.
Surprisingly mild steel MIG wire welds nicely with stainless steel...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration