OT - Update from last year, we're enjoying our daughters high school basketball experience

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Update from last year, we're enjoying our daughters high school basketball experience
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Last year our then freshman daughter made varsity, starting some games at our public high school, and leading the team in three point scoring and percentage.

This year, she has started every game, and last week had her highest scoring game, 15 points. She leads the team in scoring by a fraction, and we are enjoying her sophomore season tremendously.

Our last name isn't unknown in these parts, as my dad, his brothers and sister graduated from the same school. Dad and his older brother also started on the schools first football team, in 1937, and dad started for the 1938-39 basketball team too.

There's something about legacy........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Wow Rob, that's a long time legacy worth bragging about. For your daughter to make varsity as a freshman is truly a dream come true for you guys. And it's an achievement that doesn't come easy. Her hard work and perseverance is obvious.

Having my kids competing in school sports was a highlight of raising children. And though hockey is an important Minnesota sport, I enjoyed watching them play basketball the most. My youngest is 35 and her brother will turn 37 this year and the discipline instilled during their time in sports still comes through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

Mike,
I met you at Kingston on NL to NB, how can a 45 year old guy have 37 and 35 year old kids? :-)

My dad, Boyd, and his brother started on the first Milford Football team in 1937. Dad was a 14 year old junior and his brother Leo a 16 year old senior. Uncle Leo died last year:

My grandfather's idea was, start the boys to school two years early, and they would graduate at sixteen, instead of pulling them out of school at sixteen, as many farmers did. The only problem, all four boys immediately left home after graduating. Only dad came back after WW 2 to farm. He turned 93 on December 23. His 1937 football photo. He's a 14 year old Junior:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Oh to be 45 again.

Very impressive athletic family record Mr Heyen. You can definitely be very proud.

I guess when I look back I see the Garrison legacy as my Grandfather (Mom's Dad), my Dad, my brother, myself and my nephew as all having worked in the Iron Mines in Northern Minnesota.

Along those same lines my Grandfather was a WW1 veteran, my Dad was a WW2 veteran, My Uncle was A Korean war veteran, my brother, 4 of my cousins and I were all Viet Nam Veterans and I have a nephew who's been in the military for 24 years and has been deployed into Iraq and Afghanistan several times.

But I guess when you consider the number of farming families here in the Grain Belt of America, it's not surprising to see several generations of sons following in their Father and Grandfathers footprints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Mike, a record of service to be proud of. I think family stories such as our's are becoming less and less frequent. My paternal great, great grandfather, great grandfather, and grandfather are all buried within five miles of our farm. I will be the last Heyen to own our farm after all this time, unless my girls wish to keep ownership for some reason. They certainly won't live there, in all likelihood. Such is life. Regardless, we are blessed, and I hope future generations are able to carve out wonderful traditions and memories, such as we have been fortunate enough to.

My great, great grandfather, born in 1823. We live in Seward County:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 12:33 am:

Wonderful stuff, Rob H and Mike G! I like to see people being proud of their family heritage. I, too, am proud of mine.
Thank you for sharing yours.
Rob, Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

-Rob/Mike/Wayne-
And 'Congrats' to all!
'Kids' are wonderful! Having been blessed with 3 daughters of my own, little did I anticipate I'd be coaching girls' basketball for over 20 years! (Ages 12-14, Junior High level...) Teaching the lessons of life, the fundamentals over & over, then send them on! Many Varsity 'starters' at 10 different area High Schools over the years, even a couple D-1 scholarships. A point guard became a 'Miss Green Bay', then a runner-up for 'Miss Wisconsin'. Many invites to Confirmations, Graduations, Birthdays, Weddings, and even their children's Baptisms. Those 'formative years' can have life-long and lasting benefits! Encourage everyone!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Marv,
I appreciate your dedication and commitment to help young women learn about basketball, competition, and life's lessons that inevitably occur. Thank you and those who help young people mature into responsible citizens.

Our daughter hopes to eventually play the game in college. I hope she is able to realize that dream, but am more encouraged that she knows she will be in college, regardless of basketball.

We took her to a point guard BB camp two summers ago, and the report from the camp director was that she was a very good point guard, and an even better person.........

I couldn't have hoped for a better report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

-Rob-
Thank you. My line always was "I haven't done anything. The kids did it all!" At that time of their life, it's important that they can trust an adult male. Their intensity is fun and exciting to watch when they begin to realize their talent.... When we focus on becoming a better person, (including ourselves), even better things happen! Some parents do need to learn that, too....:-) The closest I got to playing was in intramural ball, but I had the good fortune of learning fundamentals from the same coach who taught Dick Bennett (U of Wis Final-Four in 2000). Dick is also father of current Virginia Cavaliers head coach Tony Bennett and current Northern Illinois women's basketball head coach Kathi Bennett. Honor your roots!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

"My paternal great, great grandfather, great grandfather, and grandfather are all buried within five miles of our farm."

This past summer, I went with my daughter, son-in-law and 9-year-old grandtwins to Winchester, Illinois (about 100 miles north of here). There we went to the Winchester Cemetery, where the twins visited the graves of their 2x great-grandparents and their 3x great-grandparents. Then we drove about three miles to the Baker Cemetery where they posed at the graves of their 4x great-grandparents, their 5x great-grandparents and their 6x great-grandmother. Next time we go, I will see if we can't locate my great-grandfather's farm. I know that my grandmother inherited it from her parents and had an arrangement with the neighboring farmer to farm it for her. When she died, my mother and aunt owned it for a while, but the neighbor wanted to buy it so his son would inherit a larger farm and my mother and aunt agreed.

We also attended the annual Burgoo in the town park. This is the same event that my mother attended as a child 100 years ago (when she was about the same age as the twins). I even got a chance to stir the burgoo.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

(Message edited by dick_lodge__st_louis_mo on January 13, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration