Carb question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Is there a correct carb for a 1924 touring or are they all more or less the same. Not really interested in the correct model but like one to work nicely and it might as well be correct too if I am going to replace mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 11, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

From the MTFCA Encyclopedia:

1922-1925

6150 553A1 Kingston “L4” On May 26, 1923 the brass float was adopted for the L4. Around 1924 the L4 was given a new float bowl with a more cylindrical appearance (the bottom corners were “squarer”) and a larger retaining nut.

6200B 553A4 Holley “NH” Center fuel drain. This carburetor was also made by Ford, under license from Holley and with the “Ford” name on the plate. The Ford “F” was now labeled “NH.”
NOTE: In 1925 the choke levers on both the Kingston and Holley were stamped with the two arms offset from each other to prevent interference between the dash choke rod and the radiator pull rod.

My 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup) runs fine on its original Kingston L4, so I haven't experimented with other carbs. Hope this helps.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

At this point everything helps. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

The iron bodied L-4's have the large bowl nut, the bronze bodied L-4's have the smaller bowl nut. I have a bronze bodied L-4 on my 22, I like it, may not be as efficient as the Holley, but it's also less cold blooded too, meaning it isn't a bear to start in cold weather.

And of course the Holley NH

There are a lot more replacement parts available for the Holley's than for the Kingston's but then again, not many things go wrong in a Kingston either other than gaskets and the float valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Let me know if you need an NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I will be taking a couple of Holley NH to Chickasha for sale at $75 each. Both came off running cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:42 am:

My choice would be the Holley NH (or the Ford version of it) because all the parts for it are readily available. It's also easy to fix, quite plentiful, and can be cheap. I had one that was too rust-eaten to use, so I paid $20 for a decent body and added the other parts to it. Since then I've picked up other good NH bodies at swap meets and auctions for $10 or less. If you don't yet know what to do, you can use the MTFCA carburetor book and put together an NH for your touring that will be easy-starting and will run well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Martin, your drawings are the greatest, thankyou so much for producing them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

For a stock carb I am a Kingston L4 fan. Don't care what the test show. I find them easy to start the car with, nice idle and ok on top end. A NH throttle shaft can be made to work in the Kingston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

May I ask? Why is it said that the NH may be more cold blooded to start in cold weather?
I'm not shoving this at Martin.
I'm just questioning it all.
My NH in my '24 with a '19 engine works wonderfully!
I just open the mixer another turn or more when starting and go from there when it's around freezing. It's 11 below right now and IF I wished to start that little sweety, it'd go IF I opened the mixer up enough. :-)
I don't wish my Ford to make sweet music tonight. No way. I can recall the "tippa tuppa tippa tuppa" with my mind. Well, it's a little louder than that with my little Ford.
Just curious. Pray tell differences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Duey, it's my understanding that it takes a wee bit more prep with Holley's than Kingston's is all I meant. I'd don't have to do anything to the Kingston to get her to start, in fact you're supposed to lock that adjusting nut once you get it set up. The only time I've ever had to change the mixture is when I didn't have any gas available at home so I ran down to the gas station with a little Coleman stove gas...man that car ran good on that stuff. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Duey I guess it boils down to what experiences we have had with which ever carb. I had an NH that had been gone thru, seemed to be adjusting it for road conditions all the time. The Kingston, except for starting, didn't have to touch it much and would idle down real slow compared to the NH. In the high 20's don't recall opening the Kingston more then 1/2 a turn over normal running! :-)
I keep the Kingston on my shelf as a back up, have a straight thru Marvel on now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Holy moley! That's just too cool!
Martin, Thank you for that and mine runs great on racing fuel (alcohol), just open up the mixer a bit.....
Mark, yep the NH on mine needs constant attention!
Too da.... cool!
I'd like to try another carby just for fun!
Oof! Locking the adjusto! I'd had never thunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:39 am:

There are more then a couple of us that only have one car and like to play with different carbs just for the heck of it. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration