Way OT - Mercedes Benz Museum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Way OT - Mercedes Benz Museum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:00 am:

I am planning a family trip to Germany. M. B. museum appears worthwhile, anyone been there? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

No but, friends of mine have and I have seen many pictures. I would go for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Jerry 'yes it is very interesting,worthwhile to be there.We where there in 1986 , along time ago.Even Technik Museum Speyer at Sinsheim you has to go there.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Don't know about the MB museum, but I suppose it's worth a detour :-)
I had a chance to visit the VW museum in Wolfsburg in the 90's, but wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. It was a few years after I sold my last VW, so I suppose I felt like "been there, done that, don't need no T-shirt" :-)
Maybe it's been enlarged since then?

I've read about one museum in Hamburg that's supposed to be a little extra, the Prototype museum: http://www.prototyp-hamburg.de/
Nothing before 1928, though, so it's not so hot for us old car guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Jerry,

I thoroughly enjoyed the museum when I visited there back in 1989 or so. At that time there was not an admission charge Ė I donít know about today. They had then and have now many very significant cars. All of them are related to the Mercedes Benz make -- but still very interesting. I especially liked the early 3 wheel Benz. Yes, you can see it all in a book etc. but seeing it in person for a car guy was really nice. I took considerably longer than my wife. If you want to see Fords, it is not the place to go - in that case I would recommend the Den Hartogh Ford Museum in the Netherlands. Depending on how much time you have it may or may not be practical for you to go that far. Note the Porsche Museum is also in Stuttgart http://www.porsche.com/museum/en/ but again it does not have any Fords.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

My son and his family went to the BMW Museum in Munich a year or so ago. If I were in that area, I'd go just to see the building! And the stuff inside is pretty cool too. :-)

http://www.bmw-welt.com/en/visitor_information/opening_times.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Candy and I visited the MB museum 5 years ago just after the reopening. It is set up on a most unusual way and one of the most interesting car displays I have seen. I highly recommend making time to check it out. I will not tell you how it is set up you have to see it to believe. Also do not miss the Porsche museum sadly it was under reconstruction when we were in Germany.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 08:15 am:

My wife and I travel to Germany a lot. I was stationed there in the army in the 1950's and we have friends there. I have visited the MB museum twice and would go back when I get a chance. We have also visited the BMW museum in Munich. I would suggest visiting it and include their factory tour. My favorite though is the Deutsche Museum Verkehrzentrum in Munich. This museum includes all means of transportation but my favorite part is their display of about 16 19th century automobiles. You can walk up and touch just about everything there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

I've been there lately and it is worth the trip.

Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

I agree with Robert, the MB museum is good but the Deutsches Museum is more interesting, if you will be visiting Munich.

There is a lot to see and the car collection does include a Model T:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/collections/transport/road-transport/cars/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Something else to note: The main Deutsches Museum is a science and technology museum. Be sure you go to the transportation museum which is located in another part of the city across the steet from the fairgrounds where the Oktober Fest is held.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration