Get a Ford!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Get a Ford!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Charging an electric car in Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Looks to be a Detroit Electric. One of those cars I would like to have. I saw one driving at the OCF one year. Clara Ford drove one for many years and that actual car is at The Henry Ford museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

'Get a Ford' That's what I holler to breakdowns when driving my T. Usually taken in good humour.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

A friend of mine owns a 1920 Detroit Electric and has given me several rides. The car is extremely quit and he drives it from the back seat with tillers. I do not want his bill for batteries when they need replacing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

I had a 1913 Waverly Electric barn fresh car a couple of years ago.

The new deep charge special 96 volt batteries cost $1600.00. The new solid state charger was $900.00. Replacing all the original battery cable and battery connectors another $400.00.

When we fired up this car after being in a deep sleep for 60 years, it was a real interesting time. Quiet is the understatement. The main controller had 3 speed settings low mid and hi range in both forward and reverse.

On the flat 20-25 miles per hour was easily obtained. However with a single speed rear axle the slightest hill reduced the speed to 5 miles per hour. My biggest disappointment was the lack of speed going up hills. The moment you started a slight hill the amperage went sky high.

Not sure how these electric cars faired back in the day with hills. I suppose the lack of traffic made it easier to go 5 miles per hour around town going up the hills, especially in Seattle or San Francisco where my Waverly came from.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Kind of funny how today's automakers think they've "got something" when it comes to electric cars, yet here they were decades earlier. I realize the performance and maybe reliability is far better than back then, but you'd think that today's automakers were the first inventors of 'em. They need to give credit where credit is due.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:16 am:

For sure Tim. Lately, the electric car nuts have been hosting events called "EV Fests" and other electric car shows probably to exclude everyone else. I would love to show up with one of these early electric cars just to show them what's not new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Not only do modern electric car zealots seem ignorant of electric car history, I get pretty fed up with hearing the "zero emissions" nonsense. I'm not opposed to modern electric vehicles, but the rhetoric does not match the reality. They've created their own reality that in truth is a fantasy and very misleading to the uninformed.

Don't get me wrong. I do think there's an important place in the future for electrically powered vehicles. I just think we'd make more progress faster with factual discussion of real strengths and weaknesses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:55 am:

I must admit in the back of my feeble mind I have always wanted a Citicar. I think for alot of my running to town it would be practical. I would use solar to recharge it.
But to be honest, none of these type cars or golf carts are true zero emissions. The power plant and all related maintenance creates emissions.
Solar and wind create emissions during the manufacturer and installation of equipment and the maintenance.

But I do feel there is room for this technology and private industry and individuals should learn about it and apply it to their lives if they see fit.
The noiseless operation is 1 of the things I like about electric cars or golf carts. I can literally drive within 20 feet of a deer in the back yard with my golf cart before they even notice me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Mack,

Your comment about noise, or more correctly the lack thereof, makes me smile. I like the quiet too, but a while back here in Califunny there was discussion about adding an artificial engine noise to EV's so pedestrians could hear them. Supposedly it would be safer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:51 am:

That reminds me of something that happened at a funeral I attended yesterday. Everyone was lined up for the procession and the Hearse wouldn't start. They tried to jump start it but it still wouldn't start. Someone in the procession had a pickup and they unloaded the casket from the hearse and into the pickup. We followed the pickup to the site.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:06 am:

I tease my wife and kids by telling them I want my last ride to be on the bed of the TT. They laugh, but I don't think they know if I'm serious or not. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Don Garlits went something like 158 mph in the 1/4 mile with an electric dragster in 2014. When that old boy has a dragstrip in front of him he don't mess around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Henry,
That's a reasonable last wish. Two years ago, after my father died, we didn't hesitate at the thought of taking his remains for one last Model T tour. His ashes rode from the funeral to the cemetery in the back of the heirloom '23 Roadster that he and I had restored together in honor of my grandfather. A few other club members followed in Model Ts on that cold, rainy September day to make it a tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I agree with Henry on his "zero emissions" comments. I've been threatening to buy a pair of Nissan Leaf "zero emissions" badges and stick them on my 85 El Camino.

The fact that the Leaf creates no emissions when going down the hiway is no more significant than the fact that my Camino creates no emissions at the nearest nuclear power plant. We all create emissions if we use energy; it's just a matter of were and what form the emissions take.

My favorite is the local lady who drove her electric car to the local Diablo Canyon (nuclear) power plant so she could march with her protest sign at the gate.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Can anyone explain to me why those who have mf'd. electric/hybrid cars seem to
always make they so dammed ugly ? It's as if they are hell bent to ensure anyone
with an aesthetic sense would be embarrassed to be seen in it. Is it to appeal to the
arrogance of those who feel the need to run counter to everyone else and make a
"statement" of somehow being "more" or "better" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

I dunno, Burger. My theory is: "Geek on the inside, geek on the outside."

The early electric cars looked different, too. But they, especially the Baker, strike me as truly elegant. I love the curved glass windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Burger you bring up a good point. I have yet to see a decent looking electric car. They used to look like door stops with hemorrhoids back years ago and they have maintained that tradition.
I think a cow bell would be a fitting noise maker on them.

But I will give Honda a little credit. A friends wife drive's 1 of the older honda electric hybrid car's and when the battery finally went last year, Honda gave them a new battery and installed it. For what reason I have yet to find out but it was going to be around 3500 for the job but it wound up costing 0. I can't remember at the moment how many miles she has on it but she drives it 60 miles a day and has been doing that since new.I think it is a Insite?
Can't beat that for customer service really.

You know even when we walk out on a sunny day and we are warmed by the sun- solar heating,it is still not emissions free. Especially after I eat a bowl of slow cooked pintos! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Burger, perhaps they are marketing them towards drivers of the opposite persuasion. How are sales in San Francisco? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

My long time friend gave me a ride in his brand new Tesla...the acceleration was awesome! I was pressed way back in my seat by the Gforce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

(Randy said) "My long time friend gave me a ride in his brand new Tesla...the acceleration was awesome! I was pressed way back in my seat by the Gforce."

One of my son's friends just bought a Tesla. His comment was, "Terrifying when used as intended."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

My brother has one of those hybrid cars he used to brag about. It's been sitting in his yard 2 years now because it needs a new battery pack & they cost more than the car is worth.
Electric cars aren't the only ugly ones out there, how about the Scion--an acquaintance bought one and I saw him at the shopping center; he asked me how I liked his brand new car. I, being the diplomat I am, said, "Why did you buy such an ugly car?" He said, "Because it has so much room inside!"
The Honda Element is made of one element: Uglium!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Electric motors perform well in an automotive application. If we can improve battery charge life (or range), battery charge time, and the politics we'd really have something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Ugly? Not all. Take a look at
Lexus suv , BMW suv, VW Tiguan ,Volvo XC 90 T8, Posche Panamera SE, Tesla and more. Its the future and most car manufacturers produce alternative hybrid engines as an option for their customers. Quite pricey, but many countries encourage people to buy electric an hybrid cars by reduced tax, no road toll , reserved parking i the city, free charging points and so forth. This is the case in my country Norway.
I'm driving a diesel car. :-(

Rolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

The best electric car is White Zombie on Youtube. That guy has way too much fun beating rice buckets and everyone else that thinks they're hot!

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Garnet.
What an amazing car. Sheep in wolves clothing . :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Brass car guy - maybe a '13 Waverly was less advanced than a 1909 Baker Electric - or maybe your barn fresh example had some electromechanical problem, since Jay Leno tells (in the linked clip) how great his '09 Baker pulls hills even with four adults inside. Low top speed at 22 mph, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRwEXaHTwsY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

The White Zombie get a good amount of air time on OPB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Not all electric cars are ugly. Check out this 1902 Baker Torpedo. Reportedly went 100 mph (but probably not very far).

baker torpedo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration