Pertronix electronic ignition good or bad?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pertronix electronic ignition good or bad?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Pros and cons please....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

If you are using a distributor (which purists frown upon), I can only say its the only way I'll go. I have one in in my 26 fordor. Before computerized ignitions in modern cars and trucks, I had them (or a factory substitute) in every car or truck that I'd owned from 1975 until manufacturers did away with points and went to pointless, altogether. Pointless ignitions have no points to burn or adjust. It is 'set it and forget it'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Pro: runs better than points ignition, never need maintenance or adjustment. Easily reversible to points.
Cons: does not lend itself to roadside troubleshooting and VERY sensitive to improper wiring. Hook this thing up wrong (reversed polarity) for a nanosecond and you will be buying a new module.
I like using Pertronix in conjunction with their Flamethrower coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

What distributor are you adapting this to? Does anybody know the part number of the module that fits a Texas T distributor? I called their tech line and did not get much help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

I have used pertronix for many years on several older vehicles (50 Plymouth, 35 Packard,31 A)and will use one in the next T I do (I use point distributors in my Ts now). These are very trouble free and can be easily converted back to points. The only issue I have found is that they will not fire if the battery voltage is low. I think that the 6 volt units need 4.5 volts to fire, so you need to have a good battery and proper cables. As far as the part #, these are Bosch distributor heads so that might help Doug Wilson above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Go to any Parts store that Carries or specializes in Volkswagon parts and ask for the electronic ignition module for a 1967 beetle. That should get you what you need. Be prepared to pay between 60 and 80 bucks for one. As others suggest, be careful of the polarity.
I don't use them anymore because of occasional sudden failures. It is much cheaper to use points and condenser. The electronic unit does improve performance.
Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

I have no idea how it would work in a T but I have 1 in my 66 F100 with a 300 Inline 6 engine. When I got the engine it had been overhauled and had 3000 miles on it. Guy just had to have a v8 and pulled it and sold it to me for 400 bucks with trans and radiator. He had put the petronix in it and when i bought the engine I ask if he still had the points. They are in the glove box but I have not needed them in the nearly 50,000 miles I have put on the truck since I did the engine swap. It works well and I have had no reason to change. Would I have put it in there myself? I doubt it, as points always have worked for me to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

Expensive. Can drop dead without warning. Need to carry point/condenser setup in case it quits. Toss up to me but I don't mind taking care of points when they need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

A option to consider is a Transistor ignition conversion from "kirkengines.com". It leaves the points and condenser in the circuit, but cuts the current draw to almost nothing, so the points last almost forever. The advantage is that if in the unlikely event of the electronics going "haywire", you simply bypass the module and you are back on the road. No need to care a spare module that you will likely never need

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Doug,
Texas T uses Bosch 009 style distributors. I have been using a Pertronix module for 10 years and no problems with the distributor. However, I have had failures with the 12V coils that Texas T supplied with the distributor. After 2 failures I switched over to a Bosch coil and no more failures. I do carry an extra module in case it fails.
I had problems with burning points before going to the Pertronix unit. The problem was not enough coil resistance. Should be approx. 4 ohms. Also, make sure you add a ground wire to the 009 dist. housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:41 am:

I spent a long time looking in to this for someone and could not get a lot of information from Pentronix or another company here in the UK called AccuSpark that sells them. Decided to stay with points in the end. Areas I could not get clarification for were do they run on 6 volts efficiently, as Kurt B mentioned I think you need a fully charged battery for efficient starting. Also the 009 distributor can take left or right handed points (depending on rotation direction?) Accuspark "implied" only the opposite handed points to those fitted in vendor supplied 009 distributors are suitable. Not sure if that applies to Pentronix. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:07 am:

The Kirk engines box is available in 6 volt positive ground or 12 volt negative ground

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Thanks To EVERONE that has replied to this.... Just ordered one so I will see haw it works.. Thanks again.. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

If using a modified 12 volt generator from a Falcon or a Mustang it will spike up to 18 volts and blow out your Pertronix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

I use the electronic set up in my model a coupe and love it but will stick with the points in my T until I get back to the original set up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration