Another Chicksha question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another Chicksha question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Thursday morning, visitors can park on grounds but the building are still closed prior to 8:00? Or are the grounds closed and a line of cars in the street prior to 8:00?
\Either way, when is a time to get there? Very early?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Get up at 6,eatB-fast and go to fairgrounds.You'll be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I agree with Jack. That's what I did last year and had a front row parking space! :-)

Some vendors were open when I got there, many were not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Some of us camp in the buildings, so you can get in at any time. But you're not likely to find anything for sale before eight. What I don't understand is all the folks who leave their stuff under tarps until nine or ten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Maybe they have a walk around the meet between 8-10 looking at others tarped tables? :-)
(It's always a dilemma how to get a chance to see the others stuff - and sell some of your own stuff if you haven't got a partner that holds an eye on your table while you're away)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Roger, I have 2 friends (model A guys) that go with me. They say the only reason I let them come is so they can sell my stuff :-) Im hardly every at the space till the evening ... Im always out digging to the bottoms of all the boxes of rust ... Tyrone, get there early/stay late. Look at the uncovered big stuff till the small table stuff gets uncovered. Carry a notebook, right down anything that interests you as you see it with the space number. I sometimes make three complete trips thru the meet each day. Main thing is to have fun ... Se ya'll there spaces SL 12-13-14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

I wish I was going this year! Have fun!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Nothing more frustrating that finding that perfect part at a vendor and standing there, cash in hand with no one to give it to. The vendor is out shopping.
And, I have walked around several swap meets not buying my desired part, but wanting to see that other options and prices were out there only to come back to the original vendor and the part is gone and I'm shut out.
As Frank and Mike say, the time to buy something is when you see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

untell i am told not to i will be there Wednesday morning just like always!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

untell i am told not to i will be there Wednesday morning just like always.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Robert, There is usually one of the three of us at the space. But I understand about the frustration of seeing something, wanting to buy it, and coming back later and its gone. The only thing that really bothers me worse, is seeing something on someones trailer Wednesday, Talking to the owner but he will not sell it till he unloads, "no early sales" I find out his space number, and go to his place to buy it as soon as I see him setting up, and find out he sold it 5 minutes before I got there. That usually almost guarantees that I will not buy anything else from him or even look at his stuff. I just never could understand the "no early sales" thing. If two people are standing there, any time of the day, week, month, year, or ???? One has the money and wants it, and the other has the part for sale. but will not sell it till later. Just does not make sense to me. Ill stop ranting now ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Solve all those questions and Chickasha problems by meeting at the Wal-Mart parking lot. They let you camp there and park there no questions asked. Do your pre swapping and then when the swap meet gods allow you to enter their kingdom do so or not.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

What problems? It seems I remember a lot of stewing on the forum over rumors of doom that didn't happen. I got to the meet and it was the same as usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Who doesn't enjoy the stew of doom ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:16 am:

Who are the swap meet gods and where is there kingdom? ive been waiting for the gloom and doom for a few years now, did I miss it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 07:45 am:

No pics of it, Kim, so it never happened. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Gloom, despair and agony on me. Deep dark depression obsessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair and agony on me.
Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you and a thousand other sayings but at the end of all of it you make the decision on if you're having a good time or not and no matter what anyone else says your right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:30 am:

I didn't see any problems the last time I went.
I think the only problems are the ones that are in some folks heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:47 am:

I have never been there, but have a lot of stuff I'd like to sell... are spaces still available, and are you required to have a tax ID or anything like that to get a space?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:30 am:

My guess would be yes, spaces are still available. You can check here: http://www.pwsm.com/
Years ago when I peddled at Oklahoma swap meets it seemed to be hit and miss. At some meets I had to get a temporary sales tax permit, and at others the subject never came up. For a few years I had to fill out the form and pay the tax at Chickasha, but I guess eventually the tax collector gave it up. Maybe somebody who has sold there in recent years will comment on the current situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I love swap meets!

Yes sometimes it rains, sometimes it cold, sometimes itís windy and sometimes the weather is so nice I really should be doing something else. Sometimes I see something I want and the vendor isnít there or the guy in front me gets it. Sometimes I see what I really need already sold and being taken back to the parking lot or placed behind the table with a sold tag. Sometimes I get up way too early, drive way too far I and find nothing I need. But I love swap meets!

I suppose itís like fishing Ė I remember the ones that got away, the cold, rainy days when I found nothing and the times I paid way too much for something better the many, many great finds I have had over the years.

Despite the frustrations of those missed opportunities for victory, the ease of buy parts on the internet and the costs and time involved, I will continue to go to every swap meet I can. I suppose I must like the thrill of hunt, the excitment of the possibilities, the comradery of being around other like-minded individuals and spending a morning or day doing something old car related

I may never find a $10 Stromberg OF, a $50 1909 block or a $200 Mercury body - but Iíll never know if I donít go. So go I will. If for no other reason, just because I love swap meets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Brian, very well said. and if you look around you may see me at some swap meet, as I love them too. Derek. I would guess that there are still quite a few spaces left. They have not filled up in the last several years. I would love to see as many "new guys" show up and become vendors. Contrary to a lot of the "doom and gloom" this is still a wonderful swap meet. I have always said that if I was only able to go to one swap meet per year, Chickasha Pre War is the one I would go to. Contact them at Steves link above. You will have a choice of inside or outside spaces. The inside spaces are great for smaller stuff, but if you have huge trailer loads of stuff then outside may be better. The weather could be nice or terrible, so come prepared for rain, snow, wind, dust, blizzards or hurricanes or a beautiful spring day. The inside spaces are in a heated building. and you can camp in the building by finding a place to throw down a sleeping bag or air mattress at night. We camp right on our spaces in the south building. That is where most of the campers are. Hope to see you there... have fun and be safe...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

I just called. Spaces are available, and no tax ID required (but forms available upon request).

Got my room reserved at Quality Inn.

See you there! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

I have my room reserved also. It is a covered trailer with a cot inside and plenty of covers inside if it gets cold.
Hope I find a place to park as I did in past years.
Willie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I have been to about half the Chickasha meets since 1980. Been to all but one since 2003. Never regretted going to any of them.

I don't sell anything until the stuff is set up inside the building. It was a seller's market last year. Should be even better this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Here is our room. Stay right on the spaces, have a microwave, food, running water (look just above the microwave by the red steel posts) electric blankets, showers and rest rooms are very close. and the view :-) Where else can you wake up in the morning and see a "sea of old car parts" How many days to go Steve :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Paetz on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Donnie were you looking for a k r Wilson axle stand, if you are I will be bringing one down this year. I couldn't make it last year due to the passing of my brother. I got my normal spaces back in the south bldg. in the southwest corner, I will be bringing a very nice 26 roadster with original pickup box and turtle deck has a ruckstell axle and a aux trany. trying to decide if I want to bring a 23 touring or a tt truck chassis that was started restoration. if there is any thing anyone needs email me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Derek,
I'm glad you decided to make the trip. Renting a swap space is worth it, even if you only use it for central parking and gathering up the things that you buy.

My boy and will be staying at the Quality Inn too. We've never stayed there before, but Bob Peterson recommended it, so it can't be bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

I look forward to Chickasha every year. Had to miss last year due to medical problems. It is my fun time to look, to buy, and to share info and stories with other T fanatics. No complaints about anything. See you all there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Ron, I sent you a PM message ... We really missed you last year. There were a lot of vendors missing last year. but a lot of the missing from last year are saying they are coming back this year. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Derek, I do not know how long you have been selling. You may be a old pro at it, But my one suggestion, (from an old fart who has been a vendor for 36 years) is to have everything priced (or know exactly what you want for each item, before you leave home.... It really cuts down on confusion and mistakes ... Glad you are coming ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

62 more days. Here's my hotel room.

I agree that it's a good idea to have your prices set ahead of time so all you have to do is lay out the stuff and start selling. I would also suggest that if you leave your space you have a sign there your with your phone number so if somebody is interested in an item while you're gone they can call you to ask about it. It's rather frustrating if you're shopping for an item and the seller is gone, is gone, is gone... Maybe even worse is leaving somebody there who knows nothing about anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

I agree about the pricing be in place. I am moving through fast from one vender to another looking for what I want before someone else gets it. I will not take the time to wait for a vender to stop talking to someone else just to find out a price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

when should I plan on arriving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Derek, I always get there before daylight and get in line. I have not contacted the Erslands yet to make sure of this years specific rules. But we normally try to line up on the north west corner of the swap meet grounds out side the fence on the side road Wednesday morning. Then sometime between 8:00 and 10:00 AM they open the gate to the parking area. The line of vendor vehicles then can get in. Have your stickers out and ready to show. They sometimes will make you pass right on thru and to the back of the line if you have to look for them. When we get into the parking area, they will line us up again. Then we have to wait till 4:00 PM to actually get into the swap meet area. That is the reason for lots of parking lot sales on Wednesday. I would also suggest after getting in line in the morning, or whenever you get there, to walk into the swap meet area and find your spaces and plan out how you will get to your spaces. Vendors will trickle in all morning, getting in line before the 4:00 gate opening. The buildings are usually open as that is where the bathrooms are. It gets a little hectic from 4:00 to about 6:00 and then it starts to settle down some. Do you know your space number. .?? I always look at Chickasha as a therapy treatment for my rust addiction. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Steve J. you are amazing; you take neat videos of driving around in a T, and now I see you can sleep on the hard ground in a sleeping bag! I would be stoved up most of the day if I tried that! Heck, I'd need the car next to me to pull myself off the ground! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration