OT Sort of - Trials at the DMV

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Sort of - Trials at the DMV
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

The wife and I are planning a trip to Yellow Stone Park this summer in our Motor Home and we plan to take our 26 Fodor Sedan. We own an 18ft all steel, dual axle, brakes on all wheels, car hauling trailer. But, this thing weighs over 2000lbs. Having been to the Grand Canyon last year towing our Grad Caravan I wanted to shed some weight. Looking though Craigslist I found a single axle trailer project that I picked up for next to nothing.
Well, today is the day that I got it inspected to prove it is a home built and took the paper work to the dmv. Got a gal there that was kind of new and had never done a home built trailer before. She goes over to a gal that has been there longer to ask what is needed. This gal says that I need a receipt for the trailer or a receipt for the materials used. That is were I challenged her and told her to show me were the law says I need the receipts. She gave me a dirty look and told the new gal to look it up in the rule book. It took almost an hour but I got the title and license plates and it only cost $57.
At one point the clerk asked me what make the trailer is, I told her a "Steven Thum". It took her a moment to figure that one out.
Sometimes you can survive the DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

You might want to ask around about how well single axle trailers tow a T compared to a Tandem Axle type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

I've towed a 6 x 12 bed single axle trailer with a T on it for 26 years. As far North as Calgary, South as Auburn CA, East as Tennessee and a whole bunch around WA and OR. I've towed with an S-10 Pickup, Chevy 1/2 ton, and a motor home. Lots and lots of miles and 3 sets of tires. Two blowouts over the years, neither was exciting. The trailer has electric brakes which I felt were necessary when towing with the S-10 and empty 1/2 ton. I need to replace the wood bed on the trailer and grease the bearings before putting many more miles on it.

The pictured trailer looks a bit tongue heavy but if your tow vehicle doesn't mind it should be OK. I'd check the specs for tongue weight for the tow vehicle and weight the tongue with the T on board just to be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

And considering the problems with cracking welds Freighter Jim had with a new factory built trailer, maybe you should look over the welds very carefully since someone you don't know made them - and then decided not to use it himself..
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/549018.html?1434206054
Good luck and drive carefully :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Not me! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

I have towed both my touring and my fodor on this using my 89 Chev C2500. It pulls lighter than my 18 footer which is what I want. My son and I have gone over it and the welds are ok. We will see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:26 am:

Steve, I would add some gusset plates to the tongue. Its easy to do and will make it a lot stronger. You want to stop the flexing. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:16 am:

I had a single axle trailer for many years and liked it (although I did blow a tire on it once which was a lot worse than doing so on my dual axle). Later, I got a dual axle trailer to carry larger cars on. I often wish I had kept the old trailer because the newer one is a lot more than I need for just the Ts. But it does the job just fine.
I do agree with a couple of cautions about the welds.
The other thing I would add. Drive around under various conditions and speeds, preferably a couple different tow vehicles, loaded with the T and not loaded to get an idea how well it pulls and handles.
Single axle trailers are not as stable as dual axle. They are therefore more likely to surprise you with stability problems when you are far from home. Better to get a good feel for the trailer close to home before you go any distance. While the single axle I had was always very good to me, I have seen and known several people (and trailers) that were not so good. One fellow used a given trailer for years with a couple model Ts. Then he bought another T, a different body style. It threw the weight off balance and they spent two hours loading and unloading, and turning and re-positioning the new car about two hundred miles from home. Then they borrowed a different trailer. He was laughing about it the day he told the story, but I don't think he was laughing the day it happened.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:05 am:

I think if the difference in body style in a Model T makes a difference [i] think your hauling sub standard!! One in the group we used to 5'th wheel RV with would never fill or use their water tank because it added too much weight!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:45 am:

I've been using a fourteen foot single axle trailer to haul my model T's for 5 years now. I pull it with my HD 2500 Chev truck and never once have I ever felt in trouble with that trailer. If you keep the maintenance up on the trailer and keep good tires on it you won't have a problem. They pull some pretty darn heavy fiberglass boats on single axle trailers with less tire than mine around here all the time. The only time they have trouble is because of poor maintenance or poor tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Michael,I would agree with all you printed and i know most of it is true!! Many people in the country will cut all the wood in the world and pile it on a single axle trailer! You see them all over abandoned on the side of the road while people chase bearings,tires,axels!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Michael,I would agree with all you printed and i know most of it is true!! Many people in the country will cut all the wood in the world and pile it on a single axel trailer! You see them all over abanoned on the side of the road while people chase bearings,tires,axels!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Seven, it looks as if the axle is far to the rear of the bed which should make it tow with out sway and wiggle but will place on the tongue. If too much tongue weight presents a concern you might consider carrying the T backwards.

also, look at the tongue welds. You might think about a channel iron splice to lap over the welds. Just my thoughts. Happy trails to you. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

Sorry for the double post!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. If you'll notice there is a gusset welded on the inside of the tongue, perhaps I should weld one on the front side. I certainly have enough metal around here.
My interest in a small lite trailer was started by a friend that pulls his car with a small lite single axle trailer. I just need to drop as much weight as possible to climb that long hill into Yellow Stone. I've never been there but I have been told it is longer than the climb in to the Grand Canyon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration