Reamer set

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Reamer set
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I am getting the tooling together for the transmission project and I am trying To find out where you guys recommend I buy the self centering multi bladed hand reamers in the sizes mentioned in the clubs "repairing transmissions" book.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Travis - It would sure be nice to have a complete set of all of the necessary reamers, to do whatever Model T reaming you ever needed a reamer for, and truthfully, I think that's possible. They're all available from the major Model T Parts suppliers,.....only one trouble. I think you'd have a couple thousand dollars invested if you bought them all. And it would be a difficult thing for a club that has a "tool library" to have (and maintain) them all too, because in my opinion, reamers are one of those tools that need to be used and stored very carefully, otherwise they soon become ruined. For example, I wonder how many folks that would use a reamer, know that you should never, never, NEVER turn a reamer backwards! I guess a guy has to do as most of us do, and that's to just buy the proper reamer for the individual job that needs to be done. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Harold, Ill add a couple never, never, turn a reamer backward to go with your never, never, Never's. But the folks that will turn a reamer backwards are also the folks that use a file both ways (pushing and pulling)and they outnumber us. So there may be no hope :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

A good lathe and boaring bar might be less expensive. :-)
Our club has a set of Stevens tran's self centering reams that don't require a jig to use, they seem to work great. We have Wilson's jig and reams here in the shop, they are ok but we are missing the long stepped ream to do brake drum/drive plate bushings as one step.
The reams come up on ebay and if you know what you are looking for you might get a good deal, if the seller knows what they are, probable not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

Of course, the only time you should turn a reamer backward is to sharpen it.... at least that's what you tell the inconsiderate apprentice at the next mill over that keeps blowing his chips at you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:49 am:

Another "Not the best solution", but often is sitting close by and can be done very well. Remember. Fit, work, measure, work, check fit again, work, measure again, until near perfect.
SOMETIMES a brake or engine cylinder hone can be used to bring bushings out to a perfect fit. I have used brake cylinder hones to fit piston wrist pins and other things.
Like anything on the edge of hokey? Know your limitations.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

When I saw the title "Reamer Set" I thought you were talking about my Mother and Mother-in-law both famous for reaming me a new one every time I stepped over the line. (which is quite often)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I'd get them close with a lathe and boring bar and take the drums to a shop that does precision honing

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration