Front Axle Install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front Axle Install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:51 am:

When I reinstalled my front Axle and tried to attach the wishbone ball to my pan it does not line up in either front to back or side to side.....any ideas to correct this .... Thanks for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:03 am:

Make sure the spring is centered in the frame, the perches are in ling with axle and installed the correct direction and the shackles are not hung up. Then just pull it back into place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Loosen the front motor mount, then attach the wishbone ball, then retighten the mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:44 am:

All the above would help if it is a problem with the front axle.

Other possible causes:
Crooked frame
Engine crankcase bent

If everything fit before you removed the front axle another possible cause is if your frame is jacked up and you are trying to install the axle under the car, the angle of the wishbone would move the ball forward of the cup.

This is what I think I would do. If the spring is already attached to the axle, I would leave the nuts off the U bolts in the front crossmember. I would then put the axle under the car and install the ball in the socket first Then I would place the wheels on the axle or put jack stands under the axle and lower the car down onto the axle. That would compress the spring and everything should fit into place. Then be sure the head of the bolt is in the hole in the center of the crossmember and bolt the retainer plate up against the bottom of the spring. If you do it in that order everything should go into place.

Another way would be to remove the spring shackles and install the spring into the crossmember then roll the axle under and install the ball joint. Next lower the weight of the car onto the axle. Lastly install the shackles. You might have some difficulty getting the second shackle into the perch and spring, but a short piece of 2x4 under each end of the spring will help.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration