OT - Ford Model K, time to head south for the winter......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Ford Model K, time to head south for the winter......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:08 am:

The forecast calls for six below (F) by Saturday, so time for me to move south. Not in person, but with Model K stories. From the balmy state of Texas:

R. W. Hearne was a prominent Texan at the turn of the last century. He fought in the Spanish American War, and his father was an important "procurer" of goods for the Confederacy during the Civil War. I suspect more importantly from a Texas legacy viewpoint, General Hearne's wife was the granddaughter of former General, President and Governor Sam Houston:

In 1903, the "eyes of Texas" were on a six year old boy, Sam Houston Hearne, son of then Col. and Mrs. Hearne, at the unveiling of a monument honoring the boy's famous great grandfather in Austin TX:

A bio of Roy White Hearne, Adjutant General of the Texas National Guard that appeared in the "National Guard" magazine, 1911:

Next, a Texas "first," and of course, a Ford.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

A well accessorized Buick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Wayne,
An original "rat patrol," before the Jeep.

By 1908, Col. Hearne owns an automobile:

I don't know if the car mentioned above was a Ford Model K. I do know the car Col. Hearne entered in a race in November 1908, was:

I wasn't able to find a record of the race results, but my suspicion is if the Ford was entered in a Nov. 08 race, it is in all probability the same one mentioned in the earlier 1908 articles?

Next, 1909-1911, and a Texas first....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Again in early 1909, Col. Hearne entered his K in another race, this time a hill climb:

I'm not terribly distressed that the K touring didn't win the event, a photo of the winning Stoddard:

The second place Packard owner was "E. R. Richardson. His name will come up in another thread, as a Model K owner.

And the Texas "first?"

According to period news reports, Col. Hearne made a flight with Glenn Curtiss in 1910. The "Beaumont Enterprise" newspaper reported "Hearne enjoys the distinction of being the first Texan to make a flight."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

More interesting stuff! Thank you Rob! I remember the TV show "Rat Patrol" by the way.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration