Here is one for you to look at since you've probably never seen one!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Here is one for you to look at since you've probably never seen one!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:37 am:

As always, working on 4 or 5 carbs at once, this one is getting a little closer to done every time I get a few minutes to do a little something to it. Got pretty much all the old solder off finally and got it apart, blasted and ultrasounded to see how it is going to clean up. This is the barrel design Buffalo that was pretty likely used on a few T's but for sure on the later S. First one I've ever seen, can't even find photos to compare it to. Nice condition overall, it will be done before Chickasha. Many of the internal parts had been soldered in.

This is the style used on the Model T 1909. It has a standard butterfly in addition to the cones instead of the barrel. Very interesting carbs but they would have been very expensive to produce compared to the 5 ball Kingston. Lots of close tolerance machining. I keep these in the safe when I'm not working on them. Both are made of unobtainium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

What is the going price for a 1909 Buffalo carb these days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

could it be for a brush? i will look at mine after lunch . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

If you could find one that is complete and unmodified, not rebuilt, I'm guessing $1500-2000. Rebuilt correctly, ready to bolt on and run, $2500-3000. Just a guess, I have no data to back that up. I know that's what I would want for one if I had one to sell. Hard to find one that hasn't been soldered together, needle changed, etc., I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Stan,
Were they originally assembled by soldering, or was that a later repair?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Maybe there are so many cars out there that needs Buffalos - but can't get them - so reproduction could be justified?
Then you have a great opportunity to make patterns now :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

David, no. They relied on friction to hold the barrel tight, this one had been soldered to keep it from coming loose. Lots of old carbs have that.

Roger, I don't think there is much demand for them. They were just one of several carbs used in 09. People looking for them are usually wanting a shelf display item, I think, not a runner. I dunno. I would not let anyone make patterns from these, that would be the owner's deal, not mine. I am just restoring them for the owners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

stan! douse that carb say buffalo on it? the one i have for my brush is more like the outher one in your pics.charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration