Cleaned the Ultrasonic cleaners last night.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cleaned the Ultrasonic cleaners last night.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Cleaned them the night before, too. This is what they looked like after cleaning up some OF's and a Buffalo that had already been through the media blast cabinet, blown clean and looked clean enough to polish. This is kind of disgusting, isn't it?

After bead blast and blow out, I run the parts through the top one, then rinse and run it through the bottom one. Different chemicals.

BTW, I like these little RCBS shell casing cleaners really well. they are a little over $100, one year warranty and every sporting goods store has them. One has been running hours and hours a day for about 3 years and is still doing fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Interesting Stan. I just bought my first ultrasonic cleaner and learning the quirks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

I bought too big a one when I started using them, couldn't seem to get much done with it. Terry Horlick told me to get one just bigger than the parts you are cleaning and it would work a lot better. He was right. I have a three gallon one that is too big for most of what I do but works great for bigger stuff.

These are great and you can throw your gold and diamond horseshoe ring in it for about 30 seconds and it will come out so sparkly you look like Za Za when you wear it. Leave it longer and the gold turns orange. Ask me how I know that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

What brand ultrasonic machine? I was thinking on getting a Crest brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

What are the chemicals you use Stan? I have the harbor freight 1 that is the same size as some of the shell cleaners in the gun books. I think I gave 65 for it and bought the 2 year warranty. I use mine for weedeater-chain saw carbs mostly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

RCBS, started here in Oroville by one Fred Huntington, and they still have a good-sized plant employing many here, although the company is now part of a bigger conglomerate.
I have a few ultrasonic cleaners, use them in toy train work, now I guess I'll use them for cleaning carbs too! I got my first one at a church rummage sale, they didn't know what it was! Nice fairly large commercial job, I had to do some rewiring, but parts were/are available!
Would be interested to find out what chemicals you like Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

I use RCBS casing cleaner with a dollop of Green Giant and a splash or two of Heet and some lacquer thinner in the first one, the second one just gets RCBS "Casing Shine."

The reason there is Heet in them is because I use Heet - Isopropel alcohol to leak test carbs and after the leak test I dump it in the ultrasonic instead of just throwing it out. I think it helps clean, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

We have had our RCBS for a couple of years.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Stan, did you receive my carbs OK? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By j landers on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:04 am:

We use cleaning fluids from this company http://www.kemet.co.uk/products/cleaning/ultrasonic-cleaning-fluids they are very helpful and give free sample testing and reports before purchasing the fluids, which was great for us as we wasn't sure which to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

I got a Hornady for Christmas. I've used their chemical and also just used water with a couple of drops of dish liquid and a teaspoon of citric acid (Canning section of the grocery store). I couldn't tell much difference in the cleaning efficiency. This was on black powder cartridge brass. I also put a couple of steel gun parts in it with only water and a couple of drops of dish liquid. Didn't want citric acid on the steel. I was careful with that and went very short cycles until I got comfortable it wasn't going to take the patina off the 150 year old parts. Cleaned 'em great. Just had to dry 'em good to prevent rust, then oil 'em good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration