Engine start on stand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine start on stand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

I'm trying to start my model t engine, which still on the stand. I would like to start, using the starter but need help applying the 6 volts to it. I ran jumpers from my 6 volt battery to the coil box and grounded the negative. The four coils buzz but how do I get power to the starter. I have just one set of jumpers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

George. An easy way to do it is to remove the starter switch from the floor of your car and attach it to one of the hogs head bolts. Run a battery cable from the battery positive post to one lug of the foot switch. Connect another cable from the the starter to other foot switch lug. Connect a third battery cable between the negative battery post and any bolt of the motor as a ground. That takes care of the cranking circuit. Now, you just need to run a wire from the coil box, with an alligator clip on one end, and clip it to the hot side of the foot switch when you're ready to fire her up. Just compress the switch with your hand to send juice to the starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Are you serious or just funnin us?

If serious you can run a lightweight wire to the coil box and us the jumper wire to get the starter to turn. Remember the big wire needs to be attached to the started for only few seconds at a time.

If you funnin you could cut one jumper wire in half lengthwise and end up with two thin wires. You will need to wrap both wires with either duck tape or aluminum foil to protect them from the rain.

Another way is to place a battery terminal against the frame and use the wires for the coil box and starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

To follow up on Fred's post install the hand crank and then jump on it. Wear a parachute just in case you forgot to retard the timing .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

George if your magneto works run the power wire from your coil box to the magneto post. Hook the negative jumper cable to the engine maybe at the oil pan rail and then to your batteries negative post. Take you positive jumper cable connect to the positive post on the battery. Now I would run a cable from the starter being sure it had a tight connection at the starters post and then for short periods connect the jumper cables positive grip to the positive cable coming from the starter. as stated there will be sparks when you first connect the positive lead and jumper cable, don't keep the positive connected to long and for sure disconnect if the motor starts. That would be bad mojo for your engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Be careful on the "rigging". You may already know this, pardon me if you do, but if the DC power somehow makes it's way to the magneto, it will kill your magneto. Under no circumstances allow the DC power to connect to the mag post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:45 am:

A few really good answers. And a few?????
One thing I might add. (You decide which it is?)
If I read right, the engine is on a stand. IF (the big IF again) you wind up needing to turn the engine by hand crank? Be careful. The starter to the engine is an "inside" force. The hand crank is an "outside" force. On many model T engine stands, the base is narrow enough that an outside force against a tight engine can flip it onto its side and can cause serious damage or injury. Never done it. Never seen it done. I have heard of it being done several times.

As for jumpers?
Almost any common small wire to the coilbox from the battery. Heavy jumper cables from the battery to the starter.
And pay special attention to what John D says.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:53 am:

George,
It depends on your engine stand but I put the engine in a wagon I made for testing before mounting the engine in the car.
Jumper cables as they are big enough are OK. A wire from the + battery to the battery terminal of your coil box or switch battery terminal is Ok, the magneto terminal on the box or switch to the magneto, a wire will do the job but pay attention at what John D and Wayne say : NO DC POWER TO THE MAGNETO!!!!!!
Do not forget to connect the generator out put to the battery if you have a generator.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86573299/DSCN2881.MOV

Here is how i do it.

Andre
Belgium

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration