Pressing Out Wrist Pin Bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pressing Out Wrist Pin Bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

I need to replace the wrist pin bushings in an original standard set of cast iron pistons. Are there any custom arbor plates on the market for T pistons so not to damage the piston while pressing? Or any other method you guys have used in the past?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I think you need a 2 piece bushing driver so you can reach through one bushing and tap out the opposite one. I am not sure that there is enough space between bushings so you can tap them inward to remove them. If they are really stuck them you need to cut thru the bushing side before you tap them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:48 am:

I can usually find a couple of sockets that are near a perfect size for both the inside and outside positions.
Sometimes I can find a 3/8 drive socket that will fit inside, and be driven trough using a standard drive extension through the other side bushing.
The arbor press is nice, but I also have a large vise I use to press with. A hammer can be used but is NOT recommended. Bushings usually go out and in fairly easily, but hammer blows (even light ones) tend to break pistons. In a pinch, I have many times used a hydraulic (or even a screw) jack under the bumper of my pickup to press things. Setup tends to be a bit tricky, but works well.
Then I use a brake cylinder hone to get a perfect fit on the wrist pin.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Yeah, you shouldn't need much of a press to get them out unless the piston is damaged. Are you sure you have the rod clamp loose?

This style is easy to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Ops! My Faux Pas. I wasn't paying attention.

Bushing not Pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Thanks for posting that tool Ken. Using it would cause less distortion to the piston than some other methods might.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Yeah, the pins slide out like butter, but the bushings are a press fit. As Wayne said, I don't want to hammer/drive those out, for fear of cracking a piston. So I need to press them out, but original T pistons are round all the way around, so it's a bit dangerous to set them on a flat surface on arbor plates or a vise for pressing the bushings out. A couple of arbor plates with a 3/3/4" diameter round cutout, stood on end, would do the trick, but I think may be impossible to find. Ken's picture is giving me some brainstorming ideas, I'll see what I can come up with and let you know. BTW, the Ford manual says the bushings can be pressed inward to remove. I measured the bushing length at 1-1/4" and the inside gap between the bushing housings at 1-5/16", so they should BARELY clear, crossed fingers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

I would get some wood, probably hardwood, and cut a half circle out of each piece, the diameter of the piston. You then use these to hold the piston in your press. This provides nearly full support of the piston during the pressing operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

That's the perfect solution, David, thanks. Simple and obvious. Upon a closer look at my pistons, it appears that all the wear was in the wrist pins, not in the bushings, so I think I will let sleeping dogs lie and leave the old bushings in and just replace the pins. I just get a little nauseated at the thought of pressing on the sides of 89 year old pistons.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration