1926 /27 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 /27 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Hi all, I am planning to install upholstery in my 27 roadster this summer. I plan to purchase seat springs from one of the vendors but do not know how the seat springs attach to the wood. Are the springs mounted to a wood frame or are they mounted on a wood board like plywood? A picture of the underside would be great.
Thanks for your in put on this matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Here's a thread with some pictures and explanations. (The backrest and seat springs are both steel, but the backrest spring is hanged on wood slats and the seat spring is supported by a plank of wood in the middle :-) )

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/142728.html?1274915299

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Here are some older posts with photos

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/148173.html?1277978945

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/222727.html?1310349651

The seat cushion upholstery clips into the channel around the base of the seat spring, no wood base.

The backrest spring is held with fabric straps to the wood frame, and the upholstery wrapped over the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I hung mine to the tack strip bolts with an old leather belt strip - it's how it was original in my car. You can see one In the center and one on each side.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Travis:

Is that a 1927 or 1926? The reason I ask is the "bun panel area" does not appear to have the vertical embossing at the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

1926. From everything I can tell some had the bun some had the pickup style.

Here take a look = no bun panel factory line

http://cruise-in.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Ford-Indianapolis-Body-Drop.jpg

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Travis:

Yes, I have seen that picture and tried to track down others, but no luck.

It is my guess and only a guess, that Ford used one style or the other. Perhaps the vertical embossing came later, but I have never been able to prove it. The vendors catalogs say the style shown was for the pick-up and the vertical embossing was for the roadster. But this picture from the Indy Assembly plant would indicate that vendors are not correct. So much to learn yet about the Model T Ford!

Thanks, for posting that picture. Do you have any others from the Indy assembly plant? I am interested in this as I think mine is an early roadster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Thanks for your input for my seat springs. I would think there should be some sort of support for the bench seat, but what do I know. Thanks again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration