Turn right on red? Early Detroit pic.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Turn right on red? Early Detroit pic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Maybe another shot of Woodward Ave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Are they turning or are they parking in the middle of the street like was common back then? The Ford was off the mark if that's the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:34 am:

That is one cool traffic signal. Wonder what the gizmo on the tower behind it is? Cool pics guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:49 am:

I thought I recognized those buildings in the bottom photo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Dave,

Seeing the old GM Building in the background places this photo at the intersection of Woodward with Grand Blvd (East and West Grand Blvd meet at Woodward).

This is now the State of Michigan office in Detroit, and called Cadillac Place after the founder of Detroit. An interesting side note is the present GM headquarters is at the Renaissance Center on the riverfront. The Renaissance Center was developed largely through the r=efforts of Henry Ford II. Like Cadillac Motor Car, another example of GM buying something Ford developed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Thomas, I've been in those buildings. They are an awesome sight both inside and out. They really show the grand days of the automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Perhaps they should bring back the police officers "sniper tower" to all the big cities. They would have a lot less road rage! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

I was kind of hoping someone could post a current "Streetview" photo from the same position as the old photo. Some technical glitch is preventing me from doing so.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration