Magazine and Calendar Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magazine and Calendar Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:52 am:

By the age of 14 I was hopelessly hooked on old cars. Mike Roberts cover photos on the HCCA Gazette only made it worse. His pictures told wonderful color stories of old car situations. MTFCA came on the scene with Glenn Embree's photos which were also well staged. If you searched you could find calendars with wonderful old car depictions. Color was not as plentiful as it is today but these images were pretty darn great. Both MTFCA and MTFCI have nice publications with great cover pictures and I hope they are inspiring folks today as these early ones did me.

Last evening Glenn Embree Jr treated our VMCCA chapter with a collection of his Father's Photos from the Vintage Ford and NAPA calendars. We were fortunate to have Glenn Sr. as a member for several years in the 80's and 90's. Glenn Jr. has put a book together of the VF photos. It is advertised in the Nov/Dec VF. I have not seen any discussion of it on the forum but feel it should be mentioned for any who would like to have a copy. gleenembreephotography.com has info.

My only connection is that I was fortunate to know both Glenns and they put my yellow speedster on VF covers twice.

Respectfully submitted.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Think your web address got mangled a bit Richard. This will work better (two n's instead of two e's):

Regards,
Garnet

glennembreephotography.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Thanks Garnet. You are correct. I tried the one I typed and it got me to their website. I should have proofread a second time.
I appreciate the help.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Those are some very nice cover shots. I suspect a lot of folks aren't aware of all that goes into making a period scene. Getting the vehicles is the easy part. Finding the right setting can be more of a challenge, and costumes even more so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

Memory Lane........
I was invited to a photo shoot with my TT Dump Truck...
A very memorable day for sure...Glenn took photos from all different angles..He also took some shots of each car and their owners for taking the time and effort to attend...It was an all day affair...Made new Model T friends and we all enjoyed ourselves ...Al Holton had his Erie Steamshovel all fired up ,,he loaded the Dirt in my truck with the shovel...Al new I was a heavy equipment operator and invited me to operate the shovel .....We have old 8mm movies of me in the cab digging dirt and dumping the dirt I scooped....
All that said I looked a the web and found the site...Looked through the pages and found a copy of that memorable day ....
Thanks Richard for your posting on the Forum...MADE MY DAY...!!!!!!!! Carl...over at "The Lazy S Ranch"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

That is great to hear Carl. Wouldn't it be something if a book could be put together of several stories of those photo shoots. My family had a great time the day Glenn took the Jan/Feb '93 cover picture. Steve is right about the effort it takes to make those pictures. Glenn was an artist and his work shows it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Another magazine cover series that would make a neat coffee-table book are the covers of the Horseless Carriage Gazette, for years they were paintings of vintage scenes done by Ben Sharpsteen. Ben always put something humorous in his paintings; sometimes hidden, sometimes obvious. His son Tom, is the one that hooked me on model Ts. He had a wonderful unrestored '14 "Dodge Bros" T roadster. I was allowed to drive it in the Orland 4th of July parade one year (Tom was busy driving his T truck). Almost every part on that Model T had the DB mark on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

http://glennembreephotography.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Richard, thanks for posting the link to their website. Looking through the photos for sale really gives me an inspiration to do better with my "old time" photography. Although I have a Model T, my main hobby is antique farm machinery- late teens early twenties. It's a challenge to capture scenes that look from that era. Tractor and gas engine shows rarely have the correct atmosphere. I'm not about to go and set up elaborate scenes like Glen Embree's either. But I'll have a better eye for when they naturally present themselves. Just have to have the old T handy to make them that much better.

I'm putting Embree's book on my wish list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

How about a calendar from the MTFCA with VF cover photos they've used over past years? That might be a good sales item for the Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

I remember calendars at age 14 too...But they didn't have pictures of cars on them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

I hear you Dennis. I think the car calendars may have saved my vision.

I seem to remember that Glenn took some photos for Playboy also. My how times have changed.

VF calendars might be a good idea. I hear Snyder's calendar is popular. The three years I sold calendars was fun but it would take better marketing to make it profitable. It also takes someone dedicated to doing it to make it work.

Great photos John Leck.

And thanks John Page. Why didn't I know how to do that?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration